Problem With New Glasses

Bangkok Barry

36 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Hey!  You might be in Bangkok!

Take the canal boat to Asoke Pier and have your eyes examinated at Rutnin by a real doctor.  They'll give you the presciption on a card.  Use that to order from Zenni next time.

I'm no longer there. But thanks.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I really don't care what you paid. It's totally irrelevant. My wife pays 100 baht off a market stall for hers. Different eyes, different lenses required, different prices.

My original post asked what my options are NOW, not what I should have done then. They wanted 100% up front, and alternative places to shop aren't an option where I am. I tried them when I was in the shop and had reservations and reached stalemate, with me in the end saying I'd try them for a couple of days. What other options did I have then? And what options now was the question I posed.

And as for your sarcastic comment: Adjust the lenses obviously. Are you not capable of solving basic problems? Lenses are manufactured at a factory according to the prescription they are given. People do not adjust lenses. Maybe you meant the frame? Done. Basic problem solving tried. Now keep your sarcasm to yourself. It adds nothing to the thread, nor does it answer the question I raised. Thanks. 

Well they fooled you. Never have to pay 100% upfront and why didn't you check the lenses in the shop before walking out???? Also you could get tests done at 2 different shops to see.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Zenni IS available here. 

I recently got a pair but was not too happy with them. I chatted and was told to adjust the nose pads, which I did not want to do as it would invalidate the warranty. They agreed and sent me a full refund, and told me to dump the pair.

I had a similar positive experience. First got a proper prescription from an ophthalmologist then ordered from Zenni. Multifocals in a titanium frame, top quality lenses for under 6000 baht. However when they arrived 9 days after ordering I found them a little too wide for my face. One email exchange and I got a full credit. I offered to send them back but didn’t have to. So I immediately ordered a new set with the same lenses but a narrower frame. Go zenni!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Well they fooled you. Never have to pay 100% upfront and why didn't you check the lenses in the shop before walking out???? Also you could get tests done at 2 different shops to see.

I did check them and I already told you we reached stalemate and I said I'd try them for a couple of days. I also said my options where I live are limited. And I paid what they told me I had to pay. alternative places to shop aren't an option where I am. I tried them when I was in the shop and had reservations and reached stalemate, with me in the end saying I'd try them for a couple of days. And I already wrote above that I'm going to take another test at a hospital, as someone suggested.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I did check them and I already told you we reached stalemate and I said I'd try them for a couple of days. I also said my options where I live are limited. And I paid what they told me I had to pay. alternative places to shop aren't an option where I am. I tried them when I was in the shop and had reservations and reached stalemate, with me in the end saying I'd try them for a couple of days.

Have you never owned glasses before? If they arent right in shop they won't be right 2 days later. Are they too weak or too strong? Why would you pay 100% upfront? Id walk out find another shop. I bought mine with the same company. 8000 baht , half upfront. They are great.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And I paid what they told me I had to pay. 

Do you not bargain in Thailand? My glasses started out at 10,000 and i got them for 8,000 baht. Half up front.

Did you just pay 20,000 upfront without bargaining the price or the deposit? They are probably only worth 16,000.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I recently got new glasses from what I assume is the top company as they are located in every town in the country. And, if anything, they are less effective than my previous pair. The staff smile a lot but don't really seem to have an answer, and of course getting anyone in Thailand to admit they made a mistake is impossible.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do now? Do I just swallow a 20,000 baht loss and start again somewhere else?

Jeez 20,000 Baht! Ouch. Just got the GF her first pair of eye glasses from a decent store on Centralworld. 6,000 Baht all in and super quality. If OP is not pleased or has a problem then you MUST go back to the source and complain up the management levels until you get your complaint resolved.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Suggestion. Go to your local Govt Hospital for an eye test/examination. They will give you a prescription, which does depend on answers you give them.

Send that prescription to Zenni.com and get specs as good as T.p Ch. at much less Bht.

Is their eye test in Thai or English?

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do I just swallow a 20,000 baht loss and start again somewhere else?

My daughter wears prescription glasses, she pays less than 5k baht for her glasses. 

Did you buy the gold plated ones with diamonds? 

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Might want to visit an actual doctor at a hospital setting and get prescription and then order from Zenni for about 3,000 baht?  At least if you don't like you have not lost anywhere near as much money and if have medical issues they will likely be found and treated.

I have varifocals in the post from Zenni at the moment, $63 Inc post.

Why buy anywhere else?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, uttradit said:

Do you not bargain in Thailand? My glasses started out at 10,000 and i got them for 8,000 baht. Half up front.

Did you just pay 20,000 upfront without bargaining the price or the deposit? They are probably only worth 16,000.

I really don't care about your glasses, what you paid and your experiences. How is any of that relevant to my situation now and the question I posed. And I've told you twice that where I live I can't just walk into another shop. I'll not be responding to any more of your irrelevant posts here. Nothing you write is helpful.

Few years ago [did not know any better back then]  had eye test and new  varifocals, on collection was not good, the staff said need a few days to get used to them..

3 visits later a older man re-tested my eyes, Yes prescription was correct, but found a problem they were not made with the lenses in the correct position on one side -- middle lens was at the top ! reading lens was in the middle and long distance was at the bottom,

I did get new correctly made glasses + a discount for there error.............. have Never paid 20,000+  baht again

Present glasses = eye test + very nice frames + lenses  for under 2,000 at Government Hospital

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I really don't care about your glasses, what you paid and your experiences. How is any of that relevant to my situation now and the question I posed. And I've told you twice that where I live I can't just walk into another shop. I'll not be responding to any more of your irrelevant posts here. Nothing you write is helpful.

How is it relevant to you? You didnt bargain and paid too much. You left the shop with glasses that werent right.  You should have done a 2nd eye test in shop. 20,000 is full retail price. Either the test was wrong or the glasses were made wrong. How can anyone help you if you don't use common sense. Your issue is with the shop who played you. Nobody pays full retail for glasses.

Edited by uttradit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And I've told you twice that where I live I can't just walk into another shop

Drive an hour to another shop? You might save 8,000 baht on the price and spend 800 baht on fuel.

Have you thought of that?

Maybe another shop will check the glasses, do an eye test and give better service.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimTripper said:

The problem with zenni is you have to use their cheap frames.

The only difference between zenni frames and the high priced frames in the west is that the western ones have a fashion label. It might say Ray-Ban or Gucci or something but the quality of the actual frames is comparable. I recently had an eye test in Canada. I inquired as to what frames they had comparable to the titanium, full flex, etc frames I got from zenni for around $20 USD. They had nothing of that quality and the closest titanium non-flex was over $200 for the frame only. Glasses used to be cheap everywhere 20 years ago and then the fashion industry made them “fashion“ which allowed them to raise prices through the roof.

Don't get me started on how the fashion industry has destroyed music. Notice how all the new stuff focuses on pushing brands? 

38 minutes ago, gargamon said:

The only difference between zenni frames and the high priced frames in the west is that the western ones have a fashion label. It might say Ray-Ban or Gucci or something but the quality of the actual frames is comparable.

Well, if you believe that yourself.

I have 35 year old Cartier frames which I still wear daily, and frames bought in Thailand ranging from 1800 baht to 4000 baht lasted about 2 - 3 years.

Now come on, tell us that Zenni frames made in China are better than China made frames bought in Thailand

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is their eye test in Thai or English?

Modern eye tests don't use the chart ....... it's peer through an eyepiece and watch the tractor moving across the screen.

Results on a printout from the computer.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Well, if you believe that yourself.

I have 35 year old Cartier frames which I still wear daily, and frames bought in Thailand ranging from 1800 baht to 4000 baht lasted about 2 - 3 years.

Now come on, tell us that Zenni frames made in China are better than China made frames bought in Thailand

You think everything out of China is the same quality. The Thai will buy the cheapest they can so it can be marked up more. I believe Zenni makes their own frames. Own an iphone? Made in China. 

As for your designer frames, good for you. Much easier for me to get new frames every couple of years when my prescription changes. Also gives me a backup complete pair of glasses(one prescription out of date) in case I lose or damage the current ones. 

Was that you a few months ago whining about how you couldn't find somewhere to get new lenses made for their custom frames? 

41 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Was that you a few months ago whining about how you couldn't find somewhere to get new lenses made for their custom frames? 

No that is something only in your imagination, which I can see from other posts of you, is very vivid

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I did take them back and they say they don't know why there's a problem. How would you deal with that?

I would tell the I want them corrected or I want my money back. 

I have several pair of Zenni glasses and I have old pairs of Rodenstock, Davidoff, Ray-Ban prescription sunglasses and American Optical proscription safety glasses, and while I like Zenni, the frames in my opinion are not comparable.  

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I really don't care what you paid. It's totally irrelevant. My wife pays 100 baht off a market stall for hers. Different eyes, different lenses required, different prices.

My original post asked what my options are NOW, not what I should have done then. They wanted 100% up front, and alternative places to shop aren't an option where I am. I tried them when I was in the shop and had reservations and reached stalemate, with me in the end saying I'd try them for a couple of days. What other options did I have then? And what options now was the question I posed.

And as for your sarcastic comment: Adjust the lenses obviously. Are you not capable of solving basic problems? Lenses are manufactured at a factory according to the prescription they are given. People do not adjust lenses. Maybe you meant the frame? Done. Basic problem solving tried. Now keep your sarcasm to yourself. It adds nothing to the thread, nor does it answer the question I raised. Thanks. 

If they want 100% upfront, you should walk away.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I would tell the I want them corrected or I want my money back. 

Good luck with that. I read of someone who bought some shoes at a department store whose name begins with R and the next day the sole of one fell off. He took them back for a refund, they said no, he refused to leave and they called the police. Customer service, Thai-style.

But, as suggested on here, I'll get my eyes tested again at a hospital. If they tested wrong at the store I'll take it from there.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

54 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Did you check the glasses before you paid?

Where they ok then?

I had to pay on ordering. Which I can understand as they'd be useless for someone else and I might not have returned to the store.

• Agree 1