Expat Clubs -Why don't you go?

I went a few times years ago - - - when I thought the speakers might be interesting... not too much so. until they took questions and people would stand up and start telling their life story 

If you are talking about the Saturday morning buffet breakfast put on by Dukes - yes, I would go to that again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, retarius said:

I agree with the OP. Pretty much every expat I've met was either an astronaut, starred in a movie with Tom Cruise, was a star footballer with Millwall, was a successful entrepreneur and business man controlling the lives of thousands of employees, was almost was recruited into the Beatles or the Rolling Stones in 1960, or won a solo around the world rowing race in 1967, or was in some other way totally wonderful before he came here where he turned into a drunken fat slob. 

Sometimes hanging out with expats can be difficult ! You know who you are.How many times have I looked blank to your conversation? How many times have I asked you to repeat , what you’ve said

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

I didn't move halfway around the world to mix with other expats - in general, I have found expats in Thailand to be either bad, mad or a mixture of both!

Indeed. 

Goes without saying.

Though, I'm sure that too many will miss these realities. In most of these like circles.....that's all they know, thrive to keep company with their own kind. 

I'll pass, thanks.

Went twice when i first came here 19 years ago.

Then i found it strange that at 1pm on a Sunday lunchtime 100's of men sitting down drinking tea and coffee when back home all the lads would have had a pint in front of them.

I made the assumption that they were all stiffs and do nothings based on doing nothing.

14 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

Went twice when i first came here 19 years ago.

Then i found it strange that at 1pm on a Sunday lunchtime 100's of men sitting down drinking tea and coffee when back home all the lads would have had a pint in front of them.

I made the assumption that they were all stiffs and do nothings based on doing nothing.

Why do they need to always be drinking beer?

would never go anywhere to see expats, usually avoid them if spotted at central or Big C, pretend teachers, sex addicts, drunks, liars and miserable looking married sorts being dragged round the shops by some tart with more gold and tattoos than brains.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I have steadfastly dodged popping in to the expat society (or whatever it is) in Chiang Mai for 18 straight months. Even with the tantalizing offer of a discount buffet.

It's down to sheer, ignorant predjudice on my part that they're going to be stiffs and do-nothings -based on nothing.

Do you share my view? Based on what?

Have you ever attended such a meeting? How wrong am I?

I wouldn't go because it's usually full of 70-80 year old men whinging that bar prices have gone up by 2 baht, their pensions are frozen, and that their 21-year-old hooker GF has left them for pastures new, and the whole place smells of stale urine.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I think the buffet is 200 baht. But BritmanToo goes to a German buffet for that amount. So is that really a discount?

Partic if it's a watermelon/overripe pineapple/hard cantaloupe fruit selection as per a usual discount hotel buffet?

Actually it is held at New Yorker owned restaurant that serves one of the best breakfast buffets available anywhere... please DO NOT attend... we prefer nice people.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

please DO NOT attend... we prefer nice people.

As an active member, you should be trying to coax me to come.

'Can't help but notice how evasive you are on the dodgy fruit issue.

Who got to you?

8 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

As an active member, you should be trying to coax me to come.

Why on earth would I do that... the venue is a sellout every time and it is a nice friendly environment... most would recommend that you take your snotty attitude elsewhere...

PS... the fruit is always fresh and tasty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I wouldn't go because it's usually full of 70-80 year old men whinging that bar prices have gone up by 2 baht, their pensions are frozen, and that their 21-year-old hooker GF has left them for pastures new, and the whole place smells of stale urine.

Just right for him.

Fits the age group 

45 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Actually it is held at New Yorker owned restaurant that serves one of the best breakfast buffets available anywhere... please DO NOT attend... we prefer nice people.

Well, you would hate to be too exclusive 🤣

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

one of the best breakfast buffets available anywhere... 

And yet, and yet.....I have my doubts that this is strictly true -that the stalwart New Yorke hotelr is somehow miraculously punching above its 195 baht weight and then into the Four Seasons stratosphere.

But then again: "Tasty" fruit? - how do I get involved?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

would never go anywhere to see expats, usually avoid them if spotted at central or Big C, pretend teachers, sex addicts, drunks, liars and miserable looking married sorts being dragged round the shops by some tart with more gold and tattoos than brains.

I belong in the last category.

Oh,and the 3rd.

Edited by Kinok Farang
Because i'm a bit of a thicko.
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Try it where you are, you might like it. 

I would love to, but SkipCassidy says I have a better chance of snagging a Taylor Swift ticket.

Just absolutely packed out. Unlike the website pic.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I used to be with one in Bangmunnak every Sat afternoon, now they are all dead or gone away. I admit it, I sure miss the company of guys from the UK.

They now catch planes and have fights.

On 2/15/2024 at 10:43 AM, Prubangboy said:

What happens at the meetings and would it be of interest for a first time visitor? What's the nationality mix?

For those newly arriving in Chiang Mai, the Chiang Mai Expats Club provides a table at the monthly breakfasts so that questions can be asked. Immigration, banking, weather, driving/license requirements, medical care/insurance, travel, shopping, lodging, different areas of the city benefits and potential drawbacks, general Thai cultural observations, etc. are questions oft on newcomer folks minds. This is true of vacationers, as well as, those contemplating retiring here. Yep, you can get answers on this site but, be aware ... the Duke's Breakfast Buffet cost is 395 baht, discounted to 295 for Expat Club Members (one time lifetime membership is 1000 baht). Scroll though the posts and you see a different cost cited and the German buffet is not a breakfast, cost cited by the restaurant is at 230 baht, 280 baht on Sundays (and yes a great value).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What happened to expats here in Thailand, it never used to be like this, many years ago expats were fun to be with but sadly they are now what you have described, I've read so many other comments from members with similar feelings. 

Its horrible now posting or commenting on this forum, you get attacked at times.

I'm Australian, I can take the attacks and criticism but it's really weird reading all the hate comments. 

I've been a member of AN for over 6 years. 

Sadly today I blocked a couple of annoying, antagonizing members after learning you can block members, what a wonderful feature. 

It seems some of the Brits are angry here in Thailand, Dan About Thailand, he's English but has made a vlog, saying that the Brits can be the biggest moaners in Thailand.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/yoRspYqpyd15V5Kc/?mibextid=oFDknk

As an American Cousin, I do understand and sympathize with Brits who have benefits frozen for living outside British territory. I would be grumpy also if my SS inflation adjustments were frozen.

• Thumbs Up 1