British man dies in Phuket motorbike accident

webfact

17 hours ago, WhatMeWorry said:

I find it interesting that some posters never even consider that there are other means of transportation than a motorbike in Thailand. How about buying a car where you can sit in comfort and out of the pollution and that are relatively safe. But I guess many posters here are either so poor or cheap that they cannot even think that far. 

Totally agree.

I had a bike accident five years ago, I was hurt but not what you would consider seriously, although it felt like it to me.

I now always take my car or walk.

Not only that, but I will never get on a bike again, either as a rider or a pillion passenger.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Totally agree.

I had a bike accident five years ago, I was hurt but not what you would consider seriously, although it felt like it to me.

I now always take my car or walk.

Not only that, but I will never get on a bike again, either as a rider or a pillion passenger.

Thanks for that! I guess nobody appreciates the pain and possibly permanent injuries that can be caused if you come off your moto until it happens to you.

I don't know the circumstances but I presume another farang died because he never used a scooter in his home country and enjoyed the unlimited helmet free freedom on Thailand's roads. Rent a car and you rent more safety. 

My friend 77 yo, used his motorbike instead of his car and survived a severe accident 2 years ago. Now he's on crutches. Lifelong.

For the Brit: RIP

• Agree 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:22 PM, WhatMeWorry said:

I find it interesting that some posters never even consider that there are other means of transportation than a motorbike in Thailand. How about buying a car where you can sit in comfort and out of the pollution and that are relatively safe. But I guess many posters here are either so poor or cheap that they cannot even think that far. 

A motorbike is the best if you have genuine common sense. The Thai traffic light system at major intersections and even some crossroads are far too long on a red light, the timing is dreadful at some places, it is a normal situation to see many traffic waiting on the red light while there is no traffic at all waiting on the lights still on green.

Why do you think there is always a mad dash and traffic still going through the lights after they have turned to red? They know they are going to have a long long wait before they turn to green again.

With a motorbike you can always make your way near the front instead of waiting on long lines of traffic.

Edited by NoshowJones

WhatMeWorry  I am not in Phuket or BKK but in a small town and when out on my bike in the evening when it is cooler and less traffic thinking what temperatures are in the US, I think it is very cool to be able to do this.  Easy for parking.  I am 76 and have no plans on giving this up anytime soon.  Yes, I can afford to drive whatever I want in Thailand but love the freedom on the bike.  Been riding bikes since age 17.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:22 PM, WhatMeWorry said:

How about buying a car where you can sit in comfort and out of the pollution and that are relatively safe. But I guess many posters here are either so poor or cheap that they cannot even think that far. 

Because buying a brand-new car is not exactly cheap, and buying a secondhand one can often be full of nasty surprises in Thailand. Rolled-back odometers, flooded cars, and no way of being able to check the car's history. Many of us need to reserve money for yearly visa costs and medical insurance. Not everyone has that amount of money to burn. I really think you should adjust your attitude a bit.

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Thanks 1

I’ve read a few articles in recent years pointing to the rise in the number of middle aged men who have bought motorcycles to recapture their youth. They always have a mid life crisis angle. It turns out quite a few are dying and/or getting seriously injured because they don’t have the same eyesight and reflexes as their youth. 

Thailand expats are not exactly the same, but many do as the locals do and buy scooters and motorcycles. Many are new to these. Given their age it’s a recipe for disaster. You have a chance in a car, but it’s almost impossible to fall off or crash a motorcycle and escape without injury. Just take the baht bus.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Just take the baht bus.

Absolutely! Even riding pillion on a moto taxi is safer. Alternatively, there are car taxi's. In our town the 9 baht bus to the next larger town (with both a bus/coach and railway station) was unfortunately discontinued during Covid times and, as yet, hasn't been reinstated. However, we take a 'Skylab' for 200 baht (each way).  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 6:25 AM, watchcat said:

Nothing wrong whith the roads, it's the the other drivers using the the roads.

actually there's quite a lot wrong with the roads, the use of U turns is particularly dangerous, the the highways heading out of bangkok that are not flat but have humps make driving uncomfortable and perilous

• Agree 1

There is no real driving test for either bikes or cars. As such it is not surprising there are many deaths. Introduce a real test procedure and heavy penalties for those that break the law, no exceptions, and road deaths will reduce.