Fiber connection speed advice

Kenny202

Hi all. Recently having trouble with our True Fiber connection. Never had a problem in over 5 years. Just the last week or two connection and speed has been very sketchy. The package is supposed to be 500mbps download and upload. At times it feels like it is intermittently cutting in and out....very slow. I have done online speed tests and best results I can get are 200-250 mbps download and upload is always around 500mbps. We have done several complete power down (plug out) router reboots. Not going through a VPN or anything and computer very close to the router. Called True the other day and they passed it off as peak time issues etc but said they would reset our system which I am not sure if they did or not. Another tell tale sign is the Internet radio in the kitchen keeps losing connection and have to handshake it back to the wifi again. This normally only happens if we have a power black out. Having a 500/500 connection is the speeds I am getting normal or will they decrease in peak times etc?

In general, it's a great idea to reboot the main internet router every couple of months. A router reboot can fix certain Internet connectivity issues, from no Internet connectivity to slow wireless connections, and should be one of your first troubleshooting steps in a home or consumer environment

• Like 2

If you want to figure out if it an issue with True, then do the speed test from a pc with a wired connection to the modem/router. 
testing over wireless introduces variables from the wireless environment you are in.

test it during different times of day to see if there is a pattern.

Loosing wifi connection to the internet radio in the kitchen could be 1) interference on the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands from neighboring wifi, 2) radios on the wifi router reaching end of life, 3) internet radio device radio failing, 4) power adapter for either wifi router or internet radio starting to fail. If more than one wifi client device is dropping connections, then suspect wifi router power supply or radios or interference.

Edited by degrub
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

In general, it's a great idea to reboot the main internet router every couple of months. A router reboot can fix certain Internet connectivity issues, from no Internet connectivity to slow wireless connections, and should be one of your first troubleshooting steps in a home or consumer environment

Did you not read my post Captain obvious?

"We have done several complete power down (plug out) router reboots"

We reboot weekly as a matter of course....and have completely rebooted (power plug out) at least 5 times with this particular issue with no effect

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

First off try a speed-test to True's own server https://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/ that should establish if it's a local (connection to you) issue or international bandwidth limiting.

Our 1G/500M NT/ToT connection tests as: -

image.png.1c2b53072c11cb1f7cc200572cfc6cde.png

On NT/ToT's own speed-test it's not a million miles different.

image.png.09dfb55227d60756628b22759f31d712.png

You could then try to https://testmy.net/ which is an international test, choose a server nearest to your main data source.

image.png.546a4e64d89e1f87e6de9f36d49c952e.png

Yeah we done the True online tests several times Crossy. Just got off a lengthy phone call with True and they guarantee at best 80% of quoted speed and that is only with a very close LAN connection...not wifi. We are getting half of their quoted speed. Not so much of a speed issue as an intermittent stop start sort of thing. They said they reset everything and put us on a different channel what ever that means. Our router has a 2.4 and 5k connections. CCTV on the 2.4 and general web use 5k. We completely lost 2.4 about the same time as this issue started. Wife rang them, they said there were no obvious problems there end and at the same instant the 2.4 came back on again. As it was only 100 baht extra per month I upgraded to the 1gb/500 plan, but it irks me. We have been on this current plan for 2 years with not one problem. Will see how we go next week or so....knowing True and their constant SMS promotions and bombardment of advertising I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do it intentionally.  

27 minutes ago, degrub said:

If you want to figure out if it an issue with True, then do the speed test from a pc with a wired connection to the modem/router. 
testing over wireless introduces variables from the wireless environment you are in.

test it during different times of day to see if there is a pattern.

Loosing wifi connection to the internet radio in the kitchen could be 1) interference on the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands from neighboring wifi, 2) radios on the wifi router reaching end of life, 3) internet radio device radio failing, 4) power adapter for either wifi router or internet radio starting to fail. If more than one wifi client device is dropping connections, then suspect wifi router power supply or radios or interference.

The internet radio has been fine for 5 years. Issue we are having now with the radio started at exactly the same time as the internet speed / drop out issues. I would say that would be the logical reason for it.

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

The internet radio has been fine for 5 years. Issue we are having now with the radio started at exactly the same time as the internet speed / drop out issues. I would say that would be the logical reason for it.

Have you actually tested with a wired connection?

Another user nearby that's recently come up on WiFi could be conflicting.

Try one of the WiFi survey tools on your phone to check for channel conflicts.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you for your post, we were thinking of moving our service to True, now I think we will not bother. I've never achieved anywhere near the advertised speeds despite having finer optics and stuff when I have tested with any provider. I guess 2 or 3mbs technically is 'up to 100mbs' which is advertised. Having  The cable we had 15 years ago in 2009 was the best and had free TV. Our 3BB is fast enough for my needs, but seems to have frequent lack of service for 1/2 hour at a time which is annoying. 

They are saying they have already upgraded us to 1gb and everything their end fine. I rebooted.....no router signal on any of our devices again. Once again had to call them to do something again so wifi is visible. At the same time I was talking to them I did a speed test....same 230 / 390 speed on 1gb! They said it must be my notebook. I did the speed test on my phone....same speed. Oh you need to use a LAN connection? I said you are kidding me? You are telling me that because I am using wifi I am getting 20% of the advertised speed? You want me to walk around my home with a LAN cable? I asked again...So you are saying because I am using wifi I will only get 20% advertised speed, and exactly the same speed as I was getting on 500/500? You are claiming 80% losses using wifi right? "No I am not saying that" I haven't worked in a company with IT people for 10 years but nothing has changed.

We have been through this before with them a few years ago....finally got someone out after 10 calls and there was an issue at the local repeater or something. Will monitor it for the rest of the day. They told me we would get an SMS when the 1gb plan is active and finished. Still haven't got that yet so I suspect they haven't even done it yet even though the True operator reckoned its been completed.

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

At times it feels like it is intermittently cutting in and out....very slow. I have done online speed tests and best results I can get are 200-250 mbps download and upload is always around 500mbps.

Intermittently cutting in and out?

Download rates of 200 or more do not pose a problem for watching streams/videos.

Messengers, website browsing even less bandwidth needed.

So I doubt it's a band-width/rate problem.

I miss a concrete description of what kind of problem you have?

Frozen/buffering video streams?

Could you provide an example (if generally accessible)?\

Which internet radio channel? (link)

Internet radio has very little bandwidth requirements and still it can make problems. I had similar experiences in the past (with 3BB).

Had used radio stream via a website, after using a dedicated app for the radio channel no more problems.

There are other quality parameters for an internet connection than pure up/down rates.

Edited by KhunBENQ

24 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

.same 230 / 390 speed on 1gb!

Completely normal for WiFi(?) connection.

Router as well as notebook likely not on latest high end WiFi6?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Since you don't seem to be interested in actually doing any of the checks being suggested could you at least post the manufacturer and model of your WiFi router?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Completely normal for WiFi(?) connection.

Router as well as notebook likely not on latest high end WiFi6?

Our ToT provided Huawei HG8245H is 300Mbs on wireless.

image.png.ffe3969c369f30b0856b04e15f3d9f96.png

Just some problems I have notice here.

1. We have 3BB internet and True phone SIM card.

I have noticed that when I watch the same TV program on 3BB and True, 3BB will intermittantly drop out but the program on TRUE is fine. 

So there is an intermittant problem with 3BB.

If you can, do the same test and see what happens.

2. Also watching TV from Aus, one TV on an old computer goes to buffering and many times between ads and program, program drops out and have to connect to the TV program again. Does not happen on TV program without adds.

But, another feed using a later version box, doesn't drop out, so I suspect the old computer is the problem.

3. I can measure 100mbps at the WiFi router, but not at the TV inputs. Lower but usually OK.

If I connect a coaxial cable from the router to the TV read 100Mbps.

So it's best to hardwire from the router to your TV points. Don't rely on your WiFi signal, as when something happens if you are hard wired, you know the router speed is the same as your TV input speed, just takes that out of any problems. (I've been going to do it for years but still one of those jobs left for Ron.)

I suspect with most of these problems it's speed (bandwidth) but difficult to communicate with Telco companies unless you have something concrete to show them.

I think that with speed problems, the receiver (router), says to the transmitter (3BB etc) send again, maybe send again etc, then signals get all confused and signal to the router drops out.

The only conclusive was to find an intermittant problem would be to monitor the signal and hand shaking signals on a Storage Cro or a program to capture all the handshaking signals.

You can go into your computer and set up a continuous PING and see what's happening.

28 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Since you don't seem to be interested in actually doing any of the checks being suggested could you at least post the manufacturer and model of your WiFi router?

I am not just sitting on the internet all day I am sorry, looking after 2 kids. Nor do I understand much of what is being requested. The router is a True Gigatex, or that's what written on it. It is not easy particularly atm to remove it and get to see actual manufacturer and model. The router is about 2 years old. Can I get an onscreen reading like you have shown?

As for the other question, screens freeze....streams /  videos sometimes jerky and constantly refreshing. Some pages hang and don't load. 2 weeks ago, and up until a few years ago there has never been a problem. I probably don't have the latest tech router...But nothing has changed our end. All devices same for at least 6 months, all were working fine before and now all having the same issues. As far as I am concerned the issue is a True problem and they can sort it out. How getting the model name of the router will help I am not sure? It is Trues router and has been fine for at least 2 years. Has there been any changes in transmission etc that would null the router as no longer being any good?

7 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Just some problems I have notice here.

1. We have 3BB internet and True phone SIM card.

I have noticed that when I watch the same TV program on 3BB and True, 3BB will intermittantly drop out but the program on TRUE is fine. 

So there is an intermittant problem with 3BB.

If you can, do the same test and see what happens.

2. Also watching TV from Aus, one TV on an old computer goes to buffering and many times between ads and program, program drops out and have to connect to the TV program again. Does not happen on TV program without adds.

But, another feed using a later version box, doesn't drop out, so I suspect the old computer is the problem.

3. I can measure 100mbps at the WiFi router, but not at the TV inputs. Lower but usually OK.

If I connect a coaxial cable from the router to the TV read 100Mbps.

So it's best to hardwire from the router to your TV points. Don't rely on your WiFi signal, as when something happens if you are hard wired, you know the router speed is the same as your TV input speed, just takes that out of any problems. (I've been going to do it for years but still one of those jobs left for Ron.)

I suspect with most of these problems it's speed (bandwidth) but difficult to communicate with Telco companies unless you have something concrete to show them.

I think that with speed problems, the receiver (router), says to the transmitter (3BB etc) send again, maybe send again etc, then signals get all confused and signal to the router drops out.

The only conclusive was to find an intermittant problem would be to monitor the signal and hand shaking signals on a Storage Cro or a program to capture all the handshaking signals.

You can go into your computer and set up a continuous PING and see what's happening.

These things are all well and good guys but remember my connection up until now has been excellent. None of my devices, router etc has changed. It is something just happened randomly 2 weeks ago. All of the technical stuff and tests if it doesn't get sorted can be done by True. S to me that means something has broken. I doubt all of my devices have failed at the same time. So other than that there is only the router and beyond.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

They are saying they have already upgraded us to 1gb and everything their end fine. I rebooted.....no router signal on any of our devices again. Once again had to call them to do something again so wifi is visible. At the same time I was talking to them I did a speed test....same 230 / 390 speed on 1gb! They said it must be my notebook. I did the speed test on my phone....same speed. Oh you need to use a LAN connection? I said you are kidding me? You are telling me that because I am using wifi I am getting 20% of the advertised speed? You want me to walk around my home with a LAN cable? I asked again...So you are saying because I am using wifi I will only get 20% advertised speed, and exactly the same speed as I was getting on 500/500? You are claiming 80% losses using wifi right? "No I am not saying that" I haven't worked in a company with IT people for 10 years but nothing has changed.

We have been through this before with them a few years ago....finally got someone out after 10 calls and there was an issue at the local repeater or something. Will monitor it for the rest of the day. They told me we would get an SMS when the 1gb plan is active and finished. Still haven't got that yet so I suspect they haven't even done it yet even though the True operator reckoned its been completed.

He is not saying you will get 20% for wifi---I have same true home internet--when true techs come to test or set up, they connect their laptop to router with a LAN line--the advertised speeds are for wired connections,not wifi--variables if using a various VPS, or how many devices in a home on utilizing wifi at the same time--I usually get 650 to 750, or even 800 on rare occasions on my my True Wifi (i have the 1000 download) and sometimes as low as 500 to 600, which is plenty to watch movies, etc--True fiber has local what they call "nodes" i think ==and when i signed up there was a mix of 8 homes allowed per node--when i first signed up, they told me there were only 2 other on my nearest node--but over the last two years, it has filled up and if all users are on at the same time, it is possible that the "peak usage"  they mentioned is correct--if also, within the household, they are multiple devices utilizing the wifi at the same time--it was suggested you connect a LAN line to a notebook, for example, and then run a speed test--within Thailand--ping bkk, and then ping an outside Thailand site and compare speeds--as that is how a True tech would test it--then if those speeds are good, then you know it is internal wifi issue, not ur fiber connection.

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

will they decrease in peak times etc?

It's quite possible speeds will decrease and latency increase at peak times   the analogy being to rush hour traffic...lots of customers sharing the same road/pipe.

Also one or more of your devices may have been hacked/compromised leading to high bandwidth use or many simultaneous connections  both of which can "kill" the internet connection.

It's also possible that the router has been hacked but that would be the last thing to look at (probably)

I would start by disconnecting everything except  one device and connect that device via Ethernet  not WiFi  then do the speed tests.

All that said its also probable  that there is a fault somewhere in your local True Fibre network infrastructure...are any of your neighbours having troubles too ?

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are Wi-Fi frequencies and not something the ISP can control or influence, since they are between your router and device (in-house)

WI-FI connections are radio frequencies which get interference from about everything inside your and your neighbours properties. Microwave - TV's etc.

WI-FI connections also have different channels you can select, and if yours is set to the same channels as your neighbours, then you may experience issues.

Also over a a 2.4GHz wireless signal you will be lucky if you get 100 Mbps, so if you are saying you ge3t 500 Mbps upload, then you are telling porkies.

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (300+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.
\
Finally, you router or the antennas may have issues

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are Wi-Fi frequencies and not something the ISP can control or influence, since they are between your router and device (in-house)

I would have thought so to, but three times today I have had to call them because even though the router was on, all green lights humming...our normal wifi was not visible....a call to True...."hang on"....they appear. I can't explain it but that happened today. They said it may happen again and it did. As stated we also lost the 2.4 signal a while back for no reason. A call to True and it appeared again

Also over a a 2.4GHz wireless signal you will be lucky if you get 100 Mbps, so if you are saying you ge3t 500 Mbps upload, then you are telling porkies.

Who said I was getting 500mbps on 2.4? Better read the post before calling someone a liar. The 2.4 we use for CCTV....the 5ghz is our normal internet connection. Our Router has 2.4 and 5ghz Channels. I didn't even test the 2.4. I tested our fastest 5ghz channel

What possible reason would I have to lie about any of this stuff? I have already said I don' understand much of it so I am not trying to impress here. My initial question was is it normal for test speeds I was receiving to be much lower than advertised. The fault finding etc True can sort it out.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

He is not saying you will get 20% for wifi---I have same true home internet--when true techs come to test or set up, they connect their laptop to router with a LAN line--the advertised speeds are for wired connections,not wifi

The true operator told me they guarantee 80-90% of advertised speed when using a LAN cable. I am sure there are losses in wifi but getting 230 download from a 1000 mbps connection? You think that is right? Yes there are all sorts of things can effect wifi.....but they weren't effecting my speed 2 weeks ago nor the last 2 years. And if it is some problem with the neighbours, how would I know? I am not even sure I have a LAN cable any more. I will go and have a look if I have one, check the LAN speed and report back

Just now, Kenny202 said:

Just found a LAN cable, no LAN socket on my notebook

Which notebook do you have? The LAN connections aren't always immediately visible (it took me longer than I'm willing to admit to find it on my latest Dell).

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Who said I was getting 500mbps on 2.4? Better read the post before calling someone a liar. The 2.4 we use for CCTV....the 5ghz is our normal internet connection. Our Router has 2.4 and 5ghz Channels. I didn't even test the 2.4. I tested our fastest 5ghz channel

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I have done online speed tests and best results I can get are 200-250 mbps download and upload is always around 500mbps.

Over 5 GHz, you will also not get 500 Mbps, and your CCTV cameras also use a lot of your network.

And I'm not calling you a liar, but from this and your other threads I have my doubts about many things

• Thumbs Up 1

You might get the speed you are paying for inside Thailand ,but once

you connect to the rest of the World ,the speeds are going to go down,

what also affects speed is having a VPN on ,and ad blocker slows it

down even more ,Adguard slows it down a lot , ublock origin very little ,

I am with NT (formally TOT ), and the only time we have problems with

Internet is when squirrels chew the wires ,happened 3 times , ask your

supplier to give you new router ....

regards worgeordie

14 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

These things are all well and good guys but remember my connection up until now has been excellent. None of my devices, router etc has changed. It is something just happened randomly 2 weeks ago. All of the technical stuff and tests if it doesn't get sorted can be done by True. S to me that means something has broken. I doubt all of my devices have failed at the same time. So other than that there is only the router and beyond.

You haven't been very clear on how the faults you have mentioned are connected to the router. I will assume it is a wifi connection in which case it doesn't matter how long you have had excellent service,  someone nearby can set something up that interfers with your wifi signal. If the problem is intermittant you will have extreme difficulty showing that to the service provider. Sod's law says that when the investigate they won't see a problem.

When I went back to fiber a few months back the internet connection was dropping off at random intervals and worst between 6pm and 8pm. Most service is shared and this was probably due to local traffic. My first thought was to change the wifi channel but then found out that I cannot access the router, looks like AIS screwed up when they installed it. I installed Powerline adaptors on the devices and the problem went away. Never have got around to chasing AIS on the router problem.

You could try another wifi channel, not that difficult if you can access the router.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Just found a LAN cable, no LAN socket on my notebook

You can get a USB hub with integral LAN connection.I had to get one to use with the Powerline adaptors when I changed the android box.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You haven't been very clear on how the faults you have mentioned are connected to the router. I will assume it is a wifi connection in which case it doesn't matter how long you have had excellent service,  someone nearby can set something up that interfers with your wifi signal. If the problem is intermittant you will have extreme difficulty showing that to the service provider. Sod's law says that when the investigate they won't see a problem.

When I went back to fiber a few months back the internet connection was dropping off at random intervals and worst between 6pm and 8pm. Most service is shared and this was probably due to local traffic. My first thought was to change the wifi channel but then found out that I cannot access the router, looks like AIS screwed up when they installed it. I installed Powerline adaptors on the devices and the problem went away. Never have got around to chasing AIS on the router problem.

You could try another wifi channel, not that difficult if you can access the router.

Once again this issue can happen any time of the day. Including 3am and 4am in the morning while I am working. I am on foreign sites so maybe peak period there, it certainly shouldn't be here...I don't know. I don't have a VPN on, ad blockers....nothing like that. Like I said we did have nearly identical problem a couple of years ago. True did their over the phone online tests and swore there wasn't a fault. When they finally did send a tech out he sorted it out in 30 minutes. From memory and translation from my non technical wife it was a fault at there repeater station somehow