Suvarnabhumi Adds More Staff To Prevent Malfunction

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

AIRPORTS of Thailand (AOT) has rushed to add more staff to prevent malfunction at Suvarnabhumi Airport as ordered Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin with 200 additional officials joining the team manning the immigration counters from tomorrow

As usual, this is either poor reporting or just nonsense. How can AOT - an airport management company - bring on immigration officers, who belong to the police? Are we talking about actual officers at the counters, or just more officious teenage queue managers in red vests?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Keerati Kijmanawat, AOT’s president, told Srettha that more officials were enrolled because there was a 30 percent shortage in this key role.

Immigration has told us repeatedly, every time there's a negative news story about long queues, that all 119 counters are staffed, and that the problem is those pesky flights that just keep landing. So where is the "30% shortage"? Or is AOT finally admitting that the previous claims were nonsense? Or are they only talking about "queue managers"?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Moreover AOT is also hiring an additional 200 workers to manage queues

So are these the same 200 new staff mentioned above (in which case they won't be manning the counters, just waving their arms and shouting), or 200 support staff in addition to 200 more officers? Pro tip: if there aren't enough actual officers to process everyone in a timely fashion, no extra number of facilitators will speed up the process.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Getting out is just as big a problem. What's simpler than looking at a passport. No overstay have a nice journey on your way. Oh no too simple for these morons it's chaos 

Edited by Toby1947
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, john donson said:

another joke

samut prakarn immigration has 15 counters, hardly ever 2-3 are serving people, the rest enjoying their snacks, coffee, playing phones...

someone has to open and count those nice brown envelopes they get from agents bringing in stacks of 10-20 passports and in and out in 30 minutes...

the rest can wait half a day

The trick from watching those agents is to also deliver a dozen boxes of quality oranges on a hand trolley. The nice ones in the fancy packaging.

That appears to be the currency of the realm at CW, every time I've been someone is wheeling in oranges, into an immigration back office. 

Certainly there is other fruit but oranges is where it's at.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Like that's really going to help?  If anything, the clowns at the airport are like civil servants that don't give a squat as to to how much they accomplish. They are like the DMV employees in the US. They are there on a time salary, it doesn't matter how much they accomplish. It's how much time is left on the clock. Case in point, I have witnesses many a times when the customs officials in Suvarnambhumi stopping and taking their sweet time, conversing and laughing with co workers and ignoring the passengers in line to have their passports checked.

They need to fix the machines and computers not add more employees.....

And change the attitude of the staff, which can be done, and change the reward (pay) system to a performance base rather than just a time base.

Plus put into every contract of employment clauses which clearly indicate:

- Lack of performance / low performance quickly turns to dismissal, meaning that 'guaranteed job for life' doesn't exist.

-The company / organization has continuous transparent systems / methods to observe and measure performance.

The Singapore public service including all gov't ministries and agencies (one example the education ministry) etc., changed to this quite a few years back.

Singapore also did some serious work to create credible methods of assessing / observing performance and they are actively in place. 

Australia has done something similar by creating 'government corporations', including old government job for life offices / agencies into performance based operations.

I'm aware of one quasi Thai gov't corporation which has done the same thing. The first to get dismissed because of lack of performance was 90% of the HR team. 

It can be done.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

The trick from watching those agents is to also deliver a dozen boxes of quality oranges on a hand trolley. The nice ones in the fancy packaging.

That appears to be the currency of the realm at CW, every time I've been someone is wheeling in oranges, into an immigration back office. 

Certainly there is other fruit but oranges is where it's at.

Oranges have a special meaning.

Go to a business meeting in China, probably with old style Chinese business folks and especially if the meeting / dinner has been set up for the host company to get acquainted with another company which is trying to win a work contract. 

If plates of cut oranges appear on the table near the end of the meeting / dinner it's an indication the host likes you / thinks your capable of doing the work the host is requiring.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

it doesn't matter how much they accomplish.

The 5,000 new hires will want to do well to be retained permanently as civil service jobs pay well and have good benefits. So yes, it matters how well they do the job for which they were hired.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Additionally, the physical structure of older airports may not fully accommodate some of these new technologies.

If in the EU and US the old airports can implement new technology why isn't that possible a recently built airport in Thailand?? Suvarnabhumi is not so old as Charles de Gaulle in Paris or Schiphol in Amsterdam or Heathrow in London... If they can do why a problem in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

If in the EU and US the old airports can implement new technology why isn't that possible a recently built airport in Thailand?? Suvarnabhumi is not so old as Charles de Gaulle in Paris or Schiphol in Amsterdam or Heathrow in London... If they can do why a problem in Thailand?

In Thailand there's an item which strongly supersedes the comment just above.

It comes down to a few words 'corruption / collusion'. 

Many politicians / parties see this as operationalizing the very reason why they entered politics, a chance at the trough, often for very big money.

And it often means creating new budgets, often enough for unneeded building etc., opportunities to sell land at massively inflated prices for facilities which aren't really needed or for which current facilities can easily be upgraded.

That's all ignored to create a big budget / in other words create new chance at the trough. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The 5,000 new hires will want to do well to be retained permanently as civil service jobs pay well and have good benefits. So yes, it matters how well they do the job for which they were hired.

That should be true of course, but in reality not so true.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Oranges have a special meaning.

Go to a business meeting in China, probably with old style Chinese business folks and especially if the meeting / dinner has been set up for the host company to get acquainted with another company which is trying to win a work contract. 

If plates of cut oranges appear on the table near the end of the meeting / dinner it's an indication the host likes you / thinks your capable of doing the work the host is requiring.

But what are the oranges covering. Some sort of sweetener?😉

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Adding more staff to prevent breakdowns in the system is just basic common sense. Last time I arrived the que was enormous. Who wants to get off a long flight, walk 20 minutes to immigration, and then wait on a 45 minute line? People remember stuff like that. 

What is needed at immigration is more intelligence. 

Immigration could make a few bucks off the situation by opening a coffee kiosk where people could fuel up while they wait. And if they wanted to engender any good will toward themselves, they could even offer it for a low price in any currency and still make a few Baht out of the deal.
To me, that would be intelligent. They aren't going to fix the wait, so might as well work on the comfort and attitude level of their visitors. Heck, they could even have a couple of people there offering 5 or 10 minute foot massages for 50 Baht. Get a little refreshed after a long flight and trudging to Immigration and stand in line feeling a little better. At the least it would look nicer. I'm not usually in any rush. I'd probably grab a cup of tea or a cold fresh fruit juice and have a seat for a few minutes. Give you a little time to prepare yourself for the line as you watch it move for a little bit, rather than entering it with frustration right away.

• Love It 1

37 minutes ago, Sig said:

Immigration could make a few bucks off the situation by opening a coffee kiosk where people could fuel up while they wait. And if they wanted to engender any good will toward themselves, they could even offer it for a low price in any currency and still make a few Baht out of the deal.
To me, that would be intelligent. They aren't going to fix the wait, so might as well work on the comfort and attitude level of their visitors. Heck, they could even have a couple of people there offering 5 or 10 minute foot massages for 50 Baht. Get a little refreshed after a long flight and trudging to Immigration and stand in line feeling a little better. At the least it would look nicer. I'm not usually in any rush. I'd probably grab a cup of tea or a cold fresh fruit juice and have a seat for a few minutes. Give you a little time to prepare yourself for the line as you watch it move for a little bit, rather than entering it with frustration right away.

I think what you are suggesting is a way to honor the tourists who decide to come to Thailand and spend a lot of money. It's a great idea, but it requires some imagination and initiative. 

8 hours ago, geisha said:

Unfortunately it’s a customer service problem that is rife all over Thailand in every domaine. These people have no proper schooling/ education. From the top level down.  They don’t  realize what tourists think when they stand in one or 2 hour long queues after traveling 12/ 20 hours to get there, they don’t care if someone buys that phone or jacket or shoes, or that face in their phone attitude is really annoying. The airport has been a source of tourist agony and anger for years and none gives a damn. Just see the screw ups all over the country which make the country laughable abroad. For heavens sake, get the kids and young educated , Thailands staff problem is very embarrassing ! 

been coming here over 25 years, tbh can't say i've ever experienced bad customer service from an IO at the airport or immigration centre, they are certainly friendlier than some of the central american land borders i've crossed.

if you're continually getting poor customer service you need to manage your expectations, these are civil servants doing a responsible but ultimately repetitive, boring job. i'm a believer in what goes around comes around, maybe you need to look at your attitude?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is going go have to figure out a way to get beyond this purile and ridiculous practice of "face", if it wants to progress as a nation and move forward. It holds them back on countless levels. 

Back fifteen years, my foster son came back from school and said his English teacher said you pronounced giraffe, giraffee because it has an e on the end. When he politely said it's giraffe she told him not to argue with her. He came second in a National English speaking contest and even now is called upon by his Thai international company to do their presentations for them. Perhaps his teacher should have listened to him. Until the Thai education system is elevated from marching, haircuts and dictatorial teaching, and encourages imaginative and lateral thinking, not much will change. But then it's not my country.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1