How do you react to Thais who do not respond to greetings?

You're in an elevator, you say hi and they don't respond. They are sitting next to you, you greet them and they don't respond. 

Some people always seem stressed, what's their problem? Is their jaw to heavy?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Imagining a Japanese tourist in Scotland in a lift trying to talk to local in Japanese and complaining that they don't respond :cheesy:

The OP is not talking about getting into a conversation with Thais - just acknowledging a greeting.

Also, IME Scots are very friendly and sociable people. I feel sure that if a foreigner of any nationality said "Hi" or "Hello" (even "Herro") they would greeted with a reciprocal smile, or a nod at least (not talking about the infamous 'Glasgow smile').

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, vangrop said:

beware people greeting you to start a useless boring ennoying conversation, just to get spotlights on them

I must admit that I have fallen into that trap more than once. However, in a lift (elevator) in the OP scenario, one can avoid the pain by getting out at the next floor.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

The OP is not talking about getting into a conversation with Thais - just acknowledging a greeting.

Also, IME Scots are very friendly and sociable people. I feel sure that if a foreigner of any nationality said "Hi" or "Hello" (even "Herro") they would greeted with a reciprocal smile, or a nod at least (not talking about the infamous 'Glasgow smile').

I think you mean 'Glasgow kiss' in this instance. There is also a 'Glasgow smile' which is much nastier and more permanently damaging - I won't go into the details as it is rather unpleasant. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Few foreigners understand the Thai hierarchical social structure and how farang don't get onto the first rung of the social ladder. 

Even fewer understand how to show obeisance to those on higher rungs, ie every Thai.

When the right obeisance is not given, offense is taken. 

Right on.

..and a myriad of other Thai taboos we're not even aware of.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Few foreigners understand the Thai hierarchical social structure and how farang don't get onto the first rung of the social ladder. 

Even fewer understand how to show obeisance to those on higher rungs, ie every Thai.

When the right obeisance is not given, offense is taken. 

In part you are right. I am sure there are enough Thais who just know they are above up on the social ladder.

But it seems there are also enough Thais, obviously from the lower classes, who think they are below us. 

• Like 1

A nod, smile or quiet sawadee kap would be better, if you can see they’re up for such an exchange. Thais can be incredibly uptight about the potential for losing face if they get into a conversation in English and mess it up, so they invariably stay quiet. The hierarchical thing is not really a thing in that instance where foreigners are concerned. But lifts are a funny one in any country, and it can be especially rude to hijack and put locals on the spot with a hi/hello... and particularly if you’re the flip-flop wife-beater-wearing type. Imagine doing the same to a commuter on the NY subway or London Underground! They’d think you a crackpot and take a sidestep. 😀

In the lift scenario here, I’ll typically only say something first if I think they’ll be receptive, and in Thai. Invariably it’s the other way around. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, zhounan said:

You're in an elevator, you say hi and they don't respond. They are sitting next to you, you greet them and they don't respond. 

Some people always seem stressed, what's their problem? Is their jaw to heavy?

You mean like the canadian woman that I said "hi" to in Chiang Mai and she just glared back???

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Saying hello signals interest and further discussion. What do they do then if you keep talking after the greeting and they don't want to hear it?

I agree ....   why would you say hello to a complete stranger ....    and the Thai is thinking that because they certainly don't.   The Thai maybe thinking is this guy a nutcase or something,   and the Thai certainly won't reciprocate if he/she doesn't speak English.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

I agree ....   why would you say hello to a complete stranger ....    and the Thai is thinking that because they certainly don't.   The Thai maybe thinking is this guy a nutcase or something,   and the Thai certainly won't reciprocate if he/she doesn't speak English.  

I use social cues to determine who I say hello to. If it looks like someone that would be interested in a connection or further chat I will offer a greeting. If it's just a random stranger I won't say anything. That cuts down greatly on people who just don't respond when I say hello.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1