Thai people and their smartphones - your take?

3 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Cellphones are more harmful to kids than things like weed and alcohol, and yet we ban kids from using those substances. We have our heads jammed so far up our asses on this topic, we’re just delusional. Phones are harming young people. I think they should be disallowed, esp in schools but even elsewhere but that would be harder to enforce

Florida has sent a law to the governor which will ban social media to the 16 and under crowd... the haters in the liberal left are frothing at the bit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:
1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Florida has sent a law to the governor which will ban social media to the 16 and under crowd

How will they do this?

I draw the line at these phone zombies using them in the cinema and have told them off a couple of times. Mrs is a total addict, eats while watching stuff about food and non stop selfies and pics of food, even a cup of coffee, gets a bit much, oh and while driving that gets her told off sometime, to little effect.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Thai All young people and their smartphones?

By young, I mean less than about 50 years old.

I was at dinner in the local Italian restaurant the other evening with friends - table of 5. All of us were older than 50.

No phones. Just eating, drinking and chatting.

70 - 80% of the other tables - hardly talking. Most on their phones.

The previous evening, I was dining with customers, again no phones.

100% of the other tables were on their phones.

The most worrying aspect of this scenario was that most tables had young children with them. Children on the phone almost all of the time.

One mother was actually feeding the lad of about 10(?) as he was playing with his phone so he could not feed himself. :shock1:

No one was talking to their kids.

I live on a tourist island and there were no Thais in either scenario. Just foreigners.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, what do you think about Thai people and their smartphones?

1. How did did smartphones change the country since circa 2007?
  2. Do people in other Southeast Asian countries have a similar relationship to their smartphones, like in the Philippines, Vietnam etc.?
  3. Do people in Western countries have a similar relationship tp smartphones like Thai people?
  4. What changes brought the advent of mobile data, selfie-ism?

Irrelevant small personal experiences:

1. Upcountry, but not in the big cities, at least once a week I enter a shop or restaurant where staff is so absorbed with their smartphones that they don't notice me at all. I am hardwired to not interrupt people having important business, so I just walk back out and they never know I was there. Also some streetside taxi drivers lose my business that way. When cycling small town roads, i often see motorcyclists parked in the middle of nowhere, staring at their phones.
  2. The reception at The Hot Springs is in a closed box with a closed, sliding window. I look through the window and see a lady immersed in her phone, naturally not seeing me. Now I have to overcome my discretion and knock hardly on the window pane. She looks up irritatedly, slides the window open, all the while looking at her phone, not at me. I have to tell her my wishes while she is looking and tapping at her phone, never looking at me. Another lady guides me to the booked place, walking “blindly” while constantly looking down at her phone. I don't dare to ask any question.
  3. I was intimate with a high flying, very well earning + living Thai lady manager whose TWO phones rang and plang constantly, also on her hours and days off (she was never off really). Asked if she might want to turn off or at least mute her TWO phones during sex, she gave me a very annoyed look as if I seriously let her down.

But are Thais and their phones something extraordinary? Or just like anybody else around the globe, including you and me?

They are as ordinary as everywhere, with glued phones where employers will accept it.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Didn't people have the same crises about books in the 18th/19th century, TV in the 1950s/1960s, then video games in the 1970s/1980s etc.

Things change.

It was also impossible to keep your teenage daughter off the home phone :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Well they certainly destroyed Thailand's nightlife, along with social media. But it's the same in every country.

How did phones destroy the night life ????

IMO - they made it easier to make arrangements and meet up.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1