South Korean YouTuber sparks tuk tuk fare controversy in Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, couchpotato said:

South Korean hiso bs for sensationalism. For starters 1200 for a 4 hour tour is quite acceptable, and secondly if he felt it was excessive then negotiate or try another guy (or get on his Grab app). 

image.png.89b6aa87618327ca2739506140ae05d5.png

Screenshot_20240228_061913.jpg

When i see all the tours to the tourist places in bkk,I know the boat trip and others are far away and take hrs to reach.When there, the thais charge alot to enter if u don,t agree you  don,t enter.Then u have to get back to the centre with the same tuk tuk and then pay more or they leave.Heard this story last year from some tourist who got caught.Let say they were well and truly scammed

• Confused 1

Keep in mind - this was NOT his "first trip" to Thailand (according to the article he's visited many times and is touring all (77 ??) provinces. (Last I checked was only 76 plus 2 special "Administrative Areas" - Bangkok and Pattaya - which don't count as provinces).

So it's unlikely he's used Grab before but never taken a tuk-tuk.

"a claim Hong found surprising, having used the service during his numerous trips to Thailand over the past two decades." (Referring to the Grab taxi service.)

It seems the Korean was trying to make "content" for his video channel. Wouldn't be the first time a self-claimed "influencer" tried to get something for free by promising to "promote" someone/something on their (tik tok/whatsapp/twitter/youtube/etc) channel. 

Maybe the "59 year old" taxi guy wasn't impressed and refused to give a free tour (or a discount). It's not like getting a shout-out on some minor-league Korean influencer's you tube channel is going to increase Somjit's business.

And it wouldn't be the first time some "influencer" got the cold shoulder and decided to slag (someone/something) because they didn't get their way.

Tuk tuks are death traps on 3 wheels. Theyre not legal transport nor are samlors. Pay the cops. Even motorbike taxis are illegal. I think it was PM Thaksin who made them all wear a numbered vest.

Making Thais display the fare to tourists is absurd. Will never happen. 30b or 40b for long trips(for locals) is not for tourists.

They do it Laos. A samlor driver came up to me with the fare table on cardboard backing and i started laughing. He didnt appreciate it.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps negotiate a 100 baht fare the the Grand Palace next time… 

I hear it is closed now, but a Tuk Tuk driver will take you on an alternative sight seeing trip!

1 hour ago, Thonburi-tales said:

Tuk tuks are death traps on 3 wheels. Theyre not legal transport nor are samlors. Pay the cops. Even motorbike taxis are illegal. I think it was PM Thaksin who made them all wear a numbered vest.

Making Thais display the fare to tourists is absurd. Will never happen. 30b or 40b for long trips(for locals) is not for tourists.

They do it Laos. A samlor driver came up to me with the fare table on cardboard backing and i started laughing. He didnt appreciate it.

Tuk Tuks are great. As for tuk tuks and motorcycle taxis being illegal why do they have registration and number plates?

23 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Folks with half a brain dont take TukTuks

Well, the young chap is a Tik Tokker so...

No matter, another stunning own goal for Amazing Thailand. What a surprise to find the local authority and the police in the mix!

On 2/28/2024 at 10:42 AM, couchpotato said:

With Bolt, Grab, Motocyc, baht bus and independant airport taxis where do taximeters even come into the equation😲

The only times I have used a taxi in Pattaya is when they come via Bolt.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:57 AM, webfact said:

she ordered Tharangam and her colleagues operating near the Ayutthaya Railway Station to partake in an attitude adjustment session at the provincial land transport office.

It's funny to hear this phrase "attitude adjustment session" used unironically.  

On 2/28/2024 at 4:49 PM, couchpotato said:

South Korean hiso bs for sensationalism. For starters 1200 for a 4 hour tour is quite acceptable, and secondly if he felt it was excessive then negotiate or try another guy (or get on his Grab app). 

Drive apparently lied to him say Grab was illegal in Thailand. I've had similar cab drivers says same thing to me at Both BKK airports... while waiting for my Grab!