Why is there so much trash on the grass verges in Hua Hin

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We live equidistant from four small-ish villages.....only two houses are bordering on the tidy....and they stand out like a sore thumb......I look on in total amazement at the state of all the rest.

Its not too bad around where I live, but across the main road there is a cut thru which is used by a number of people. Had occasion to go that way a while back and the rubbish was piled high consisting of old building cast offs to plastic of all kinds and general household waste. This over a stretch of at least 100 yards and 20 or so feet back from the road edge. A short distance further along are what look like well used eateries, but I for one would not consider feeding my dog there. 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:11 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Ridiculous. post   

...I never experienced this problem in CM.

I never knew there WAS a problem with plastic bags in HH until I got here.

I am definatley not here because it's better.

It's different.

That's all.

You can save this post for a newbie trying to change the visa laws....not me, a 20 year resident

Well said fella. 

On 3/6/2024 at 12:57 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Having recently moved here I am appalled at the ammount  of rubbish that is tossed out of cars here.  Where I live , near the King's sponsored walking and excercise park it's awful, it's as if everybody accepts that this is where rubbish should be dumped! Now the problem is starting on Soi 88 , in the 5 months I have been here I have seen it deteriorate.

My wife has called the correct department, but they would not put her through to K.Nong who is apparently the head rubbish honcho.....she was told that they do not have the manpower to clean it up...they said they put signs up ...the ones that say there is a 2,000 baht fine for fly tipping, but the problems just get worse. They say there is no money for cctv.

I already collect a whole bin liner of rubbish from the top of my soi once a week, that gives me enough blisters so I don't want to do anymore.

What kind of pressure can we put on the local council to deal with this?

If you have seen this mess please let me know.

Eventually, this will just get worse as I have seen rubbish everywhere.....but it's not a Thai thing, I never saw anything like this where I previously lived in CM for 20 years.

But this is seriously affecting my love for HH

It’s the highway south so huge amounts of traffic, all packaged rubbish Thais eat and drink in their cars and also in the long haul buses.  You cant  cross the road in Hua Hin. 

On 3/6/2024 at 7:53 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

Yep I've seen a few news articles like that.... 

So why the hell don't they clean up their own back yard? 

Oh short memory... Cause they don't give a damn.  It's below them to clean up. 

Too lazy and care factor Zero.

Edited by digger70
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, thaiowl said:

For the last 9 years I have picked up litter on the bike lane in Hua Hin. I usually do a big bag per day (see attached) and guess that I have picked up a total of about 9 tons of litter so far. It never ends...once I get to the end, I start again. I reckon that if people see litter on the verge, they are more likely to throw away their own litter in the same place. It's all about education, parenting, accountability, pride, integrity etc. Hopefully, the new generation will see that their country is becoming a rubbish tip and change their habits.  In the meantime, if anyone fancies picking up litter on the bike lane, feel free. One bag a day makes a difference.

IMG_1078.JPG

after you  pick it  up, which I  commend, find the nearest Thai and give them a good  kicking, this  would get way more  press  attention and you could ( no pun intended)  toss  in the fact you were cleaning up their crap every day for years and  finally in a moment of madness  etc etc etc

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

Been 20 years since I checked out HH.  Horse rides on the beach!  And that evidence horses leave behind in sand and surf.  And soi dogs following them eating it.  So much for that.

Bad though it is, it is not significantly less littered in countries that should know better. I think it is largely a generational thing. Although the youth think it's cool to be environmentally aware, they are the main culprits. The minimum you can do is not throw or allow anyone around you to throw rubbish and pick the odd bit up when you have a spare moment.  

I have to disagree with all of you, The local orbortor does a great job, down the beach there is plenty of bins when I go down to one of the beaches in the mornings there is a team of guys sweeping around, We go to Rawai for a coffee on the beach front, same there guys sweeping along the beach road, 

Where we live they come around in the night to empty the bins at least 3 time a week,

You as a Farang cannot go cleaning it up you don't have a work permit, 

11 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Thais are just filthy people that don’t care, it’s really quite sad!

the whole country is nothing but a garbage dump!

I'm not convinced that the percentage of slobs is any higher in Thailand than back home.  The difference is that, back home, we spend a huge amount of money to pick up after them.  And to have trash bins everywhere, along with employees to empty those bins.  On my neighborhood beach in Galveston, there's a crew every morning to clean up after the slobs, and another crew with a big truck to empty the 55 gallon bins every 50 yards or so.  That's expensive.

I don't see anyone griping that they're not paying enough in Thailand on their real estate taxes to afford those cleanup efforts.  For most of us, the cost would not be an issue.  For the average Thai working for 300 or 500 baht a day, it would be a huge burden to fund those efforts.

Personally, I'd advocate prison labor (though that's expensive too, keeping up with them) or (better yet) catching the slobs and making their penalty include a month or so of picking up their own trash.  Be they Thai or foreigner...

Edit:  To be clear, I agree there's a lot more litterers in Thailand.  Heck, I've been tempted myself after carrying a water bottle or a plastic bag around for half an hour because there are no bins.  Anywhere.  But I don't think Thai people are any more likely to be slobs than back home.  We have our share, even in Texas.  I see it every morning that I get out before the excellent beach cleanup crews.  And I can't imagine the cumulative effect if the cleanup guys quit showing up for a few months.

Edited by impulse

I have seen that Australia has a similar problem as the UK has also. 

I saw that Norway has NOT a problem. On there lead up to there national day on the 17th of May the local people would them selves clean up any rubbish on the sides of roads.

Thailand is not as bad as other  countries.

I pick up rubbish within around 200 meters of our house. Not a strain to do. 

If you want to see garbage you only have to look at the Tab Tai park and across the road from the park. A lot of contractors dump entire pick-up loads that including sheet rock, broken concrete blocks, bricks, sacks, and other waste building materials. Then in the morning along the road, Thais throw the prior days garbage along the road. Of course they are only doing what the previous generations have done for many years. 

What a bunch of disrepectful people they are.

And what about around the 4 water reservoirs in the area. Don't have a clue about microplastics do they?

Hua Hin has very  few trash cans around unlike Pranburi with an abundance of cans all over the town. Also many areas in town are impromptu dumping sites infested with the many street dogs ripping the cans and garbage apart never to be picked up. I like living in Hua Hin for my sons school, the two malls and easy access to Pranbury parks and beaches. Town parks, public spaces, and basic public services ( garbage, road repair, ect,) in Hua Hin are sorely lacking.  My advice is get used to it, or move on. It aint changing any time soon. 

• Sad 1

Sad, but this is normal everywhere in Thailand. Thailand government dont give a <deleted>, nor does the average Thai. The environment is not high on the government or public agenda.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, TCAK said:

If you want to see garbage you only have to look at the Tab Tai park and across the road from the park. A lot of contractors dump entire pick-up loads that including sheet rock, broken concrete blocks, bricks, sacks, and other waste building materials. Then in the morning along the road, Thais throw the prior days garbage along the road. Of course they are only doing what the previous generations have done for many years. 

What a bunch of disrepectful people they are.

And what about around the 4 water reservoirs in the area. Don't have a clue about microplastics do they?

This was the area that I was alluding to in my original OP

On 3/9/2024 at 4:23 PM, Surasak said:

Its not too bad around where I live, but across the main road there is a cut thru which is used by a number of people. Had occasion to go that way a while back and the rubbish was piled high consisting of old building cast offs to plastic of all kinds and general household waste. This over a stretch of at least 100 yards and 20 or so feet back from the road edge. A short distance further along are what look like well used eateries, but I for one would not consider feeding my dog there. 

We have a local 'council' rubbish tip about 4km away.......the rubbish is tipped and just burned where it lies on the ground....household waste, tyres, plastics.......locals tend to drive halfway to the tip with more rubbish then I guess they think CBA.......and tip huge mountains of waste by the roadside, which someone, once in a black moon, burns......it is disgusting.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Agree 1

Thai people generally think that there is someone paid to collect the rubbish anyway.

Years ago even in Western countries this thought was widespread, when there was full employment and the government guaranteed a job for everyone.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

We have a local 'council' rubbish tip about 4km away.......the rubbish is tipped and just burned where it lies on the ground....household waste, tyres, plastics.......locals tend to drive halfway to the tip with more rubbish then I guess they think CBA.......and tip huge mountains of waste by the roadside, which someone, once in a black moon, burns......it is disgusting.

It sounds like environmental waste. Or, sod the environment, its only waste

• Agree 2

image.thumb.jpeg.d9584adf644764e678e28e281dac6c95.jpeg

Look at this mess of trash I bike past often. You don't see it but they dump construction debris too and there's even a toilet in there. Mountain people are horrible with littering .The common person in Chiang Mai is not so bad though.

• Sad 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:43 AM, ChipButty said:

I have to disagree with all of you, The local orbortor does a great job, down the beach there is plenty of bins when I go down to one of the beaches in the mornings there is a team of guys sweeping around, We go to Rawai for a coffee on the beach front, same there guys sweeping along the beach road, 

Where we live they come around in the night to empty the bins at least 3 time a week,

You as a Farang cannot go cleaning it up you don't have a work permit, 

You are divinely blessed Chip Butty 😆 

• 3 weeks later...