Key takeaways from Super Tuesday results

Social Media

image.png

The Super Tuesday results this year may not have been as groundbreaking as in previous years, but they still provided valuable insights into the current political landscape and the trajectory of key players like Donald Trump and potential challenger Joe Biden.

Trump's Triumph and Clear Path Forward

Donald Trump emerged from Super Tuesday with resounding victories across multiple states, solidifying his dominance within the Republican Party. His commanding wins, with margins as high as 70% in some states, underscored his continued stronghold on the GOP base.

Super Tuesday results in full

Exit polls revealed that Trump's staunch stance on immigration resonated strongly with Republican primary voters, emphasizing the enduring appeal of his hardline policies. Additionally, voters prioritized values and perceived authenticity over electability, further boosting Trump's appeal.

Nikki Haley's underwhelming performance, despite her campaign's emphasis on electability, highlighted the limits of anti-Trump sentiment within the Republican Party. With Haley exiting the race and endorsing no candidate, Trump's path to securing the Republican nomination appears all but certain.

Signs of Discontent and Potential Challenges

Despite Trump's overwhelming victories, signs of discontent and division within the Republican Party were evident. In states like Virginia and North Carolina, where Haley performed relatively well among young, suburban, and college-educated voters, concerns about Trump's legal troubles and fitness for office were apparent.

Exit polls indicated that a significant portion of Republican primary voters questioned Trump's suitability for the presidency, especially in light of ongoing legal challenges. Haley's supporters expressed reservations about backing the eventual nominee, hinting at potential fissures within the party.

While past elections have shown Republican unity in supporting the nominee, the extent of discontent within the party raises questions about Trump's ability to consolidate support in the general election. Nonetheless, the dynamics of the general campaign could reshape voter attitudes and priorities.

Haley's Departure and Future Uncertainty

Nikki Haley's campaign, despite a narrow victory in Vermont, failed to gain significant traction beyond Super Tuesday. Her decision to withdraw from the race signaled the end of her presidential aspirations, at least for now.

Haley's departure leaves lingering questions about her future role within the Republican Party and the broader political landscape. Will she eventually endorse Trump, reconcile her criticisms, and rally behind the party nominee? Or could she be contemplating an independent bid, seeking to offer an alternative to Trumpism?

As Haley transitions to private life, her next moves will be closely watched by political observers. Her trajectory may offer insights into the evolving dynamics of the Republican Party and the broader contours of American politics.

For the Biden campaign, the widespread support for "uncommitted" in multiple primaries serves as a stark reminder that addressing internal party divisions will be crucial in maintaining Democratic unity ahead of the general election. Failure to do so risks further erosion of support from key constituencies, posing a significant challenge to Biden's re-election prospects.

In summary, while Super Tuesday reaffirmed Trump's dominance within the Republican Party, it also highlighted underlying tensions and uncertainties that could shape the upcoming presidential election. As the campaign progresses, the fallout from Super Tuesday and the actions of key players like Nikki Haley will continue to influence the political landscape.

Source

image.png

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Biden has his State of the Union speech tonight. It's make or break for him.

I just checked but apparently he hasn't made it yet. I'll be sure to read the reviews after.

I can agree with you that if he doesn't do well it's probably fat lady singing time.

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I just checked but apparently he hasn't made it yet. I'll be sure to read the reviews after.

I can agree with you that if he doesn't do well it's probably fat lady singing time.

Historically state of the union addresses have minimal if any political effect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:
5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Historically state of the union addresses have minimal if any political effect.

i think we can agree that historically this election isn't quite the same. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stoner said:

i think we can agree that historically this election isn't quite the same. 

It sure ain't. I'm certain that every word, nay every syllable, every movement, will be analysed and re analysed for anything with which to lambaste the opponent. The body language experts will be lovin' it.

8 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Of course you're not capable of watching it yourself and making up your own mind. You need to wait for the right-wing spin telling what to think. 

Looks like it is on on Al Jazeerra right now, or at least waiting for it to start. I don't know if they will show the entire speech.

I'll have it on while I do other things so hopefully it won't send me to sleep.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It sure ain't. I'm certain that every word, nay every syllable, every movement, will be analysed and re analysed for anything with which to lambaste the opponent. The body language experts will be lovin' it.

It's going to be very interesting to watch.

I'm ready. Juice him up and wheel him out. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Of course you're not capable of watching it yourself and making up your own mind. You need to wait for the right-wing spin telling what to think. 

I'll get back to you later about it, but I'm off here to do more important stuff now.

So, I watched most of it, and some comments.

He IMO lied when he said he would bring back Roe V Wade. Unless he intends disestablishing the SCOTUS, that's not up to him.

Unions did not build the middle class.

If he wants to tax millionaires, why hasn't he done so in the past 3 years, and if he couldn't, what will be different next time?

It was more like a campaign speech than a State of the Union speech, and he mentioned Trump about 10 times.

He mentioned that he ordered the military to construct a pier to bring aid to Gaza, but he could just force netanyahu to open the land gates. Also, he said there will be no military boots on the ground, which begs the question who will build the pier and who will transport the aid?

Despite the party atmosphere on the Dems side of the house, the GOP sat on their hands, so it's unlikely they will be helping Biden out on Ukraine, which he made a lot of promises on, or anything else. Not helped by Biden's attacks on the GOP.

Given by the amount of coughing, Biden does not seem well.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He IMO lied when he said he would bring back Roe V Wade. Unless he intends disestablishing the SCOTUS, that's not up to him.

If he wants to tax millionaires, why hasn't he done so in the past 3 years, and if he couldn't, what will be different next time?

It was more like a campaign speech than a State of the Union speech, and he mentioned Trump about 10 times.

He mentioned that he ordered the military to construct a pier to bring aid to Gaza, but he could just force netanyahu to open the land gates. Also, he said there will be no military boots on the ground, which begs the question who will build the pier and who will transport the aid?

Despite the party atmosphere on the Dems side of the house, the GOP sat on their hands, so it's unlikely they will be helping Biden out on Ukraine, which he made a lot of promises on, or anything else. Not helped by Biden's attacks on the GOP.

He asked for a dem majority congress to codify roe/wade,unions DID build this nation at least the folks in unions were able to achieve middle class,we are not in control of Israel he can’t force Netanyahu to do anything Israel is a sovereign nation,ukrain ade will go through the majority of republicans arnt Putin boot lickers like trump,yup he did cough,no coke sniffles tho

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

He asked for a dem majority congress to codify roe/wade,unions DID build this nation at least the folks in unions were able to achieve middle class,we are not in control of Israel he can’t force Netanyahu to do anything Israel is a sovereign nation,ukrain ade will go through the majority of republicans arnt Putin boot lickers like trump,yup he did cough,no coke sniffles tho

Why do we even bother taking such an extremist maga zealot seriously? Logic has nothing to do with maga.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. I gave up after 2 minutes. The guy is old, boring and a liar. He acts more like a car salesman.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Well said. I gave up after 2 minutes. The guy is old, boring and a liar. He acts more like a car salesman.

So you're "informed" opinion based on two minutes. Massively stupid.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So you're "informed" opinion based on two minutes. Massively stupid.

Biden has been around politics for 45 years. 

Your response is ms.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

The topic of discussion is the SOTUS, of which you’ve admitted to only having viewed 2 minutes.

By your own admission your comments on the speech are ill informed.

Never seen Joe speak well.