Thai Beach Vendors using their slingshots on the poor Monkeys!

Chiang Mai zoo. Fenced in monkey cage. Reached out to commune with the monkeys. One of them managed to grab me by the wrist and started pulling my hand towards its mouth. That monkey's grip and arm strength was superhuman. Scary looking incisors. Not ashamed to admit I screamed like a little girl. So relieved when it let go of me.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, marin said:

I  guess you have not been to Krabi Bobby. The main temple Wat Korawaram is well known for its monkey problem. How do the monks keep them from taking over? Slingshots, and  they are really good at hitting them. Lots of monks cheering when they are driven off. Fun times that all enjoy.

Bob the do gooder 5555. 

I was at that temple when a Chinese lady tried to feed a monkey a bag of crisps. The monkey snatched at the bag and it fell to the ground. When the lady tried to pick up the bag the monkey tried to attack her. Fortunately I was able to make a grab at the monkey’s tail, which distracted it and likely saved her from getting bitten or scratched. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how long you have been in Thailand, but I'M shocked your shocked at this behavior.

There are two types, in my opinion, of people here in Thailand. Those that are in general nice. They are nice people, treat others with respect, treat animals humanely, are generally productive members if society.

The second group are just cruel people. I have seen some of the cruelest behavior towards animals only in Thailand (or SEA in general). Burning, starving, beating, even other perverse actions, carried out by people on animals.

Their actions unfortunately are not confined to animals either.

Welcome to Thailand!

I can assure you I would be the first to protest if I saw such cruelty.

I was in Cambodia in 2019 and actually visited with the monkeys everyday near the river 

I started to make friends with them and spoke to them like friends, would I turn my back on them though ...no 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

I can assure you I would be the first to protest if I saw such cruelty.

cruelty to animals is (sadly) rather normalized here.

bob.

But just to add ...and this may sound weird to people who don't have the new age spiritual soul....but the reason I got on so well with the monkeys in Cambodia was I called them Western names as I was feeding them...Kev...John...Ben..etc 

I honestly believe that the monkeys were /are reincarnation of humans who have died 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

But just to add ...and this may sound weird to people who don't have the new age spiritual soul....but the reason I got on so well with the monkeys in Cambodia was I called them Western names as I was feeding them...Kev...John...Ben..etc 

I honestly believe that the monkeys were /are reincarnation of humans who have died 

Not weird at all---I had monkey previously that I called 'George'

• Love It 2

• 2 weeks later...