British and American men arrested for real estate violations

webfact

If the foreigner can only have 49% of the company and he dies, what happens to the 51% of the house value, which is the companies asset? 

He may have a will but he can still only bequeth his 49% of the houses value (sale price) as the rest is 'owned' by the Thai nominees? 

Anyone have 'real world' experience of the answer here? 

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's amazing the lengths us foreigners will go to have some dirt in our name. They're coming for us (foreigners) the white devils. 

Just keep your head down, only speak when spoken to. Sort of like prison rules.

Or just follow the rules.
So sorry you feel put upon to follow the laws of the country you chose to live in.

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder how many real estate transactions will be unwound, costing unsuspecting foreigners $$ millions.

I also wonder whether they're genuinely trying to clean it up, or just steer the money to the right parties.

Well I would bet money I it’s the latter 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Did the company route : farang 49%; Thai (ex-wife) 48 + 3% in crooked audit office.  They had me sign the normal 46 pages in Thai for the annual audit but on this occasion added a 47th which changed my wife's share to 50%.  By this time we were separated & despite spending about half a million in legal fees, the Thai court awarded me 25% of house/cars/furniture.  I'd happily accompany the police to the audit company which is close to Tesco Lotus' at Thepprasit.  I've kept all the papers.

Why wasn't the property a marital asset which you were entitled 50% to? Furthermore, why was the company needed anyways if you were married? Seems like you would just buy in the wife's name and that would be the end of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Not sure what you mean by your post, however it is illegal for a farang to own land in Thailand. He can elect to lease land through a Thai company in which he owns only 49% of the company, but that company has to meet certain criteria inasmuch as the Thai partners of the 51% have to be bone fide partners who have invested their own funds into the company, not just nominee folk. Owning through his wife who has to show that she has purchased the land with her own funds, is possible, but then again the farang does not own it. 

I thought you could lease land for 30 years, in which case the original owner would not change but you would simply have the right to live there for the duration of the lease. 

Owning through the wife? It's a martial asset then which belongs to both parties right? The law of marriage is that both people relinquish right to hold title. I assume a court would have you liquidate the property in the case of divorce though and divide it up with all other assets. That almost seems safer than making shell companies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

A correctly worded Usufruct is legal and will protect your right to live in the property - just don't build a house or your wife's family land - especially not in the moobaan or any other place where you are likely to be harrased in the event of a relationship breakdown. The Usufruct must also be registered at the Land Office to be legal.

I'm dubious of a usufruct between married people. I don't think those contracts can supersede the marital laws.

8 hours ago, Shetraveler said:

Or just follow the rules.
So sorry you feel put upon to follow the laws of the country you chose to live in.

Get back to me in 10-15-20 yrs. Then your opinion may have a bit of meaning.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Squeeky bum time for foreigners with land in company name.

I am not feeling overly worried actually. 

The alternative was a little student bedsit in the sky, that is a potential death trap. 

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The registered owner of my property is a trusted friend.  I have a Usufruct and other documents that I'm satisfied give me the right to do whatever I want, including sell my Thai home.  Nothing I have attempts to try and get around the ownership rules.

If the spirit of the law is to prevent foreigners from owning houses why would they let you buy a house via a Thai national and have said Thai national waive their right to the house using a Usufruct? All these things seem dodgy to me if the authorities really decide they want to crack down for some reason. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, jaideedave said:

These folks are not destitute so even if they only got use of it for 30 years it would have cost them $277 usd/month if considered rent up front.

100,000 ÷ 360= 277.777

That's true if they really want to live there for 30 years. My guess is they will want to sell and move in 5 years, or just let it sit while they are away.

Strange how he keeps talking about the furniture delivery & setup 🤔

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:02 AM, proton said:

These two seem very sure of themselves and the 30 year lease on the land,

The wife actually made a video about this a little while ago - they both seem rather green about what can and cant be done in regard to this property . Some of the comments in the vid are comedy and there responses are truly outstanding .

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

That's true if they really want to live there for 30 years. My guess is they will want to sell and move in 5 years, or just let it sit while they are away.

Strange how he keeps talking about the furniture delivery & setup 🤔

Good luck to them if they want to resell.We paid 2.4 m for our 2 br bungalo in 2007.It's been confirmed a few times now that I'll be lucky to recoup that if we sell even after I've done major upgrades.

Unlike in the west where property values keep climbing unabated.

At any rate it'll be left for my wife and her sister as I'm about to turn 74.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hhaat said:

Basically, only if a person pays rent every month, or every year, then it is a lease.  This is legal.

If the person pays 30 years of rent in one go, this is called a purchase, and it is illegal.

You can sign a 30 year lease, but if you pay for it upfront, you are a criminal.

Good gawd...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Presnock said:

just like all those "clean" agents and the immigration laws....am sure some people might be getting a tad scared if things continue

to escalate.

Using agents for extensions is not illegal, foreigners using Thai companies to circumvent the law on owning land is.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Using agents for extensions is not illegal, foreigners using Thai companies to circumvent the law on owning land is.

If one does not meet all the necessary criteria for getting an extension and uses an agent who ghosts the necessary criteria to enable on to extend, then that is not legally following the immigration rules.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

If the spirit of the law is to prevent foreigners from owning houses

That is not the purpose if the law, the purpose is to prevent foreigners from owning land, foreigners can own as many houses as they want , that is legal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1