Do you like cheese?

theblether

Thai normally do not know what is cheese. If you want the real thing(s), there are imported cheese in many places, including Tops and Rimping, but they usually cost a lot. Why Not (restaurant) doubles as food import shop and you can find many kinds of italian, spanish, french cheese which you can buy by the weight you want. Again not very cheap, given that they are imported, but at least you buy direct so less expensive. To be fair, there is another italian import shop near the BigC supercenter, but I haven't been there in a long time and forget the name. They also have direct sale of imported food incl. cheese.

Recently I found that GO Wholesale offers some Thai-made, actually CM-made, very decent cheese at a decent price. I won't name the brand, but it will be easy to find.

Edited by arithai12
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I'm here for a while I bring a good bit with me. Normally a bit of strong English cheddar and a bit of Parmesan. As arithai12 said, rimping other side of the iron bridge has a good selection, but it can be eye wateringly expensive.

I normally stay in a hotel near suvarnabhumi for a night before my onward journey. The large supermarket at paseo shopping mall (not sure if it is a Villa Mart) has a good range and sometimes some bargains (reduced or buy 1 get one free)

Dutchcheese4you in Hua Hin has several kinds of really good cheese products.. sausages and other .. Only online orders but quick deliveries. I am happy with them as Makro Hua Hin has got rid of all the cheeses except Mozarella and Parmasan

Edited by ikke1959
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thai know more about  cheese and food with cheese now, than before, and I guess it is a matter who you frequently socialize with. 

At works nights' out, I frequently meet colleagues who are far more familiar with whisky then I am.  I generally don't drink whisky, and I do not feel that a failing on my part, nor a strength on theirs. 

I do not envy people who can enthuse over different cheeses, or whiskies, or tripes.

Like haggis, shark's fin is an acquired taste, and like whisky, I do not think that I would be any the better for acquiring a taste for shark's fin, and I am sure that the world would be worse.    

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, puck2 said:

1. In my comment I added "???". That means I wasn't sure, if from Australia. I checked the package and could not see, where it comes from.

2. I guess you know better than me, which cheese I like most. It doesn't depend on where it comes from, but only on my OWN taste. Or do I have to ask you, which cheess I like most :smile:

Not at all petal, so don't be so precious. I can't help it if you are not bright enough to even know where the cheese you are eating comes from (or even spell cheese correctly in your above post). I was merely commenting that in my humble opinion, in the main, cheese from Australia isn't generally considered the best. Some Aussies may even agree with this. Your post alluded to the fact that it was Australian cheese. 

Is that ok with you?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

No cheese, No beef.

Skip both in Thailand unless you like spending a lot of $$.  Up to you but I try and stick with local and not imported foods.  Never had a problem finding lots of great food in Thailand so save my cheese and beef splurges to west as personally i think it is absurdly overpriced in Thailand.  Sort of like wine which I enjoy in the west and don't drink at all in Thailand. 

I understand that not everyone is willing to forego cheese beef wine while in Thailand...to me just not worth the cost when so much local good food to choose from.  But first thing i do when back in west is buy nice block of cheese and nice wine.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Brit here, eaten cheese all my life, and agree Mainland Vintage Cheddar is as good as any I've had.

265 for 500gm in Makro, or 250bht for 250gm everywhere else.

I agree

I buy all ny cheese at Macro, in my area , they have the largest selection and the best prices, 

The Macro I go to is 15 minutes by car, away from my house, The are opening a huge on on Mittraphap road,  5 minutes from my house. Grand opening is the 25th. 

I can't wait! I will live there LOL

• Haha 1