Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

2 hours ago, milesinnz said:

Please keep them in prison in Thailand.. we don't want this sort of sick trash back in New Zealand...

Keep your trash at home, TH doesn't need any more...

Edited by BerndD

5 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I bet they'd never do that back home. Evading police is bad enough but to take the officers weapon?

They would never do that in the US of A either LOL. They are most likely to be sent home in body bags instead of being taken into police custody alive. Assault on the cop make enough excuse to get shot on the spot.

Edited by borderhopper2005
text correction
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

Perhaps they were reacting to Thai police extorting Farangs. ??????

And threatening them with a gun. The fact they disarming, and cleared the weapn before discarding it suggests some training. That's not a bunch of NZ street thugs that suggests ex or current military...what the NZ coverage for unbiase info on this incident.

Two Kiwis accused of attacking Thai officer, snatching his gun https://www.stuff.co.nz/world-news/350216019/two-new-zealand-men-arrested-attacking-traffic-officer-thailand

Edited by Ricardo99
Typo
  • Thanks 1

No matter what the "true story" is, it's probably a good idea not to be the next Caucasian foreign male to be pulled over by Thai police. I suspect the blood is running hot for a while among some of the boys in brown.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, borderhopper2005 said:

They would never do that in the US of A either LOL. They are most likely to be sent home in body bags instead of being taken into police custody alive. Assault on the cop make enough excuse to get shot on the spot.

Just having a dog is enough for a US pig to start firing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

No matter what the "true story" is, it's probably a good idea not to be the next Caucasian foreign male to be pulled over by Thai police. I suspect the blood is running hot for a while among some of the boys in brown.

The "true story" is the one with the best video.

Yeah, I think Thai police is a bit embarrassed right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

Perhaps they were reacting to Thai police extorting Farangs. ??????

Well it was Chalong. Its a supermarket checkout at that roundabout for fines, deserved or not. Only foreigners though, Thais sail straight through always.

• Thumbs Up 1

If a country absolutely wants to have 40,000,000 or more tourists per year and make money from them, you also have to accept that there are more than just a few idiots and criminals here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Struth , we  have one come to our  land once a  week, Id  better lock the gate quickly and leave the 1000 (NO RECEIPT)  in the mailbox  this  month and hide under the sofa.

• Haha 2

Just now, spidermike007 said:

No, I'm definitely not saying that, but it has to be a pretty extreme situation to physically assault a policeman and attempt to grab his weapon. I would say in the vast majority of these cases that the perpetrator was either insane, unhinged, very very high, or feeling overly entitled. 

I would agree it is usually people under the influence, but judging from the video it looks more like they restrained the cop, they aren't beating him up here, if you are fearful the cop might pull the trigger then do what you need to do. Only profession more corrupt than cops are the politicians they serve.

• Confused 1

The full interaction apparently was not filmed, and the complete story may never be known, but on the surface, we have tourists running from a traffic stop, fighting with a police officer and disarming him.  If that's all that gets to court, they're in deep <deleted>.

Many of us who have lived there are very aware of the notorious reputation of the Chalong Police. They have been running revenue raising traffic blocks at the circle for a long time. (Their station is adjacent) I won't mention any other dealings they have been rumored to be a part of. 

Interestingly, another Kiwi with connections to the Chalong Police was in the news a few years back, Apparently, he wasn't good at sharing.

Former Phuket Tourist Police Volunteer Garry Halpin Sentenced To 9 Years For Drug Dealing - CTN NEWS (chiangraitimes.com)

Edited by Old Croc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ryandb said:

I would agree it is usually people under the influence, but judging from the video it looks more like they restrained the cop, they aren't beating him up here, if you are fearful the cop might pull the trigger then do what you need to do. Only profession more corrupt than cops are the politicians they serve.

Well I can't argue with that, especially in Thailand. I think there are many nations where the police are corrupt, but in Thailand the RTP has redefined the nature of corruption, it appears to be a pyramid scheme that was founded upon the very premise that the government will pay a substandard wage, but the policeman has a franchise and he can be as creative as he can possibly be with that franchise, to earn as much money as he wants to earn, without fear of prosecution. The only exception seems to be with an instance where it gets a lot of media attention. 

Then they need to take action to save face. But even then you have to wonder how many police actually get locked up and serve a significant amount of prison time, my guess is very few. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

The kiwi is clearly saying they were attacked and are shown trying to disarm the cop and make the gun safe for fear of their life.

In the video it does actually look like they were trying to make an effort to restrain and get the gun instead of simply beating the cop. I find it hard to believe a Thai cop would pull a gun on tourists but maybe this guy was drunk or insane. Unless there's video evidence we may never know.

7 minutes ago, gravity101 said:

Well it was Chalong. Its a supermarket checkout at that roundabout for fines, deserved or not. Only foreigners though, Thais sail straight through always.

Notorious, the other week they took the last 200 baht off a Burmese couple that we know, 

• Agree 1

The whole thing would still go down with them not following rules. The Thais commenting in YT news vids aren't mincing their words and painting "farangs" in one brush as evil in the society. It's already a big rule to avoid fighting with the locals, let alone did that to a police officer. It's like picking up a hammer and hitting yourself with it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

You want western style law enforcement, well that's what you will get.

Well that will please the many on here who yearn for Thailand to become a clone of the miserable countries they originate from.  

28 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

According to initial reports on NZ news the two claim the Police officer attempted to attack them and they acted in Self Defence.

Flee a police stop and when they catch up to you expect to be confronted aggressively. How on earth that gets to a self defense argument is just utter nonsense. Nope these 2 foreigners need to be punished severely. What's great about the Thai legal system is that bull<deleted> arguments won't be entertained. The NZs are in the system now and it will be a painful journey. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1