Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

33 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

I like Kiwi's (much better than Aussies generally) have worked with them all over the world.

Kiwis are known for 3 things. 1 being tight. 2 whinging. 3 sheep. 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, sambum said:

"But talking about who was taking the video and trying to guess their state of mind is conjecture" - WRONG!:- 

"the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police."

To repeat myself, if the person taking the video was another cop (See above!) why didn't he/she jump in and help? I guess it was to make sure that they had enough incriminating evidence on the pair of Kiwis.

But I also would like to see any video evidence of the original roadstop.

I think you're misinterpreting the phrase, "while having the incident recorded by police" to mean that the video we have seen, is what was being recorded by police. 

Other reports, including the one above from The Thaiger (which includes the video in question) state that the assault started while the pair were being filmed by the policeman that was attacked but that the video doing the rounds was not the video taken by the policeman, but was shot by a witness to the incident.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It is reported in various articles from multiple different sources about this incident, that it was a bystander who took the video, not a policeman. 

Then this article is "false news"!  From the article itself:-

"...the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you a NZ yobbo too.........?  😬

Nope but clearly, you have a bigoted view of NZers, do you apply the generalizations to people who share the same race, religion, or sex also?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, mania said:

Don't know why these nuts did this but....In video the one guy takes the gun from the cops hand & throws it to roadside....

The other guy picks it up & removes the magazine & clears the weapon

As always there is more to this story & none of it will be good

Disarming a policeman is okay ? 

6 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I think you're misinterpreting the phrase, "while having the incident recorded by police" to mean that the video we have seen, is what was being recorded by police. 

Other reports, including the one above from The Thaiger (which includes the video in question) state that the assault started while the pair were being filmed by the policeman that was attacked but that the video doing the rounds was not the video taken by the policeman, but was shot by a witness to the incident.

"I think you're misinterpreting the phrase, "while having the incident recorded by police" to mean that the video we have seen, is what was being recorded by police."

Well, one would - wouldn't one? 🙂  

9 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Phuket—At 3:50 PM, on March 16th, 2024, Chalong police officers captured two New Zealand nationals who allegedly refused to pull over for a traffic offense, evaded police arrest, and were later accused of assaulting an officer who pursued them in Mueang, Phuket.

According to the police report, Chalong patrol police were performing their regular duty on Chaofa East Road, in front of the Chalong police station. Two foreigners on motorbikes did not follow the traffic laws, not riding close to the left side of the road and riding at high speed in a community area, according to Chalong police.

The police on duty asked for cooperation from them to stop their motorbikes. However, the two violators then allegedly attempted to flee from the police.After the police pursuit, the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police.

The situation escalated as the foreigners allegedly attempted to snatch the officers’ firearm causing the gun to fire once, nobody was injured, according to the police.

By Adam Judd

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-03-18

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

you didnt  blur  the gun  out, Im appalled 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Nope but clearly, you have a bigoted view of NZers, do you apply the generalizations to people who share the same race, religion, or sex also?

I have nothing against anyone until they start attacking folk, it is clear these 2 did...

That photo of the Thai cop being held down was enough to make anyone's blood boil...😬

Do you see something different then.......?   🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DjSilver said:

My guess, is that the foreigners were only acting in self-defense and that is how the police should act like happened. 

I get the impression that policeman felt intimidated and pulled out his gun. In returned the bike riders felt the same and one of them took the pistol from the policeman. And a shot was accidently fired.

What ever happened.

They are in deep trouble.

19 minutes ago, ryandb said:

It's not, you don't comply with tyranny (not saying this was an instance of tyranny before you get confused) when a Police Officer does something to you that is wrong and the only way to save yourself is to defend yourself then you have every right to do so

If you are fearing for your life which might be the case here, might not as well, would you rather die on your knees or die fighting?

I have the opinion that this could well be the case 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No, the article simply says that the incident was being "recorded by the police" - it does not say that the video which is available online, is the one taken by "the police".

Again, multiple different sources make it clear that "the police" refers to the policeman who was assaulted with some reports even suggesting that it was the fact that he was filming them, that aroused the ire of the two men.

As far as I am aware, the video that the policeman himself was filming, has not been made public.

Be honest - If you were reading this and looking at the video for the first time, how would you interpret it?:- 

"the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police."

Edited by sambum
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Fallangpakwan said:

Poor little boys,  grew up in a broken home, no food, no money, no education, never understood what laws and police meant,had to steal money for trip to Thailand. 

That would be the story back in NZ

No, they are not poor little boys, both Top Managers (CEO, Chairman of an IT-related Education company), their parents millionaire business an property owners.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

"I think you're misinterpreting the phrase, "while having the incident recorded by police" to mean that the video we have seen, is what was being recorded by police."

Well, one would - wouldn't one? 🙂  

One might, although as I say, based on multiple other reports, it would appear that two different videos were recorded. One apparently by the policeman who was assaulted, which we have not seen, and one by a bystander which we have.

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

One might, although as I say, based on multiple other reports, it would appear that two different videos were recorded. One apparently by the policeman who was assaulted, which we have not seen, and one by a bystander which we have.

Funny how "multiple other reports" seems to have suddenly become a "buzz phrase" on this thread!

7 minutes ago, ryandb said:

I saw the tail end of an altercation with one man using grappling (no strikes) to restrain a police officer and remove his weapon (which apparently had one round missing), hand it to his friend who removed the clip and emptied the chamber while saying the cop attacked them (we don't know this to be true)

What did you see exactly? and why did your blood boil? Also ask yourself would you get as angry if the cop was just a regular Thai?

So you think these 2 taking the law into their own hands was the right way to go.....😂

I get annoyed at anyone dishing out agro, even the Swiss bloke that kicked a lady doctor, etc, etc.........🤔

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Be careful here, I may be wrong, but I strongly suspect there was self defense involved here by the two guys from New Zealand.

Please let me help to clarify your comment : "I don't know what happen but i feel the urge to give my opinion on this story anyway"

joke apart, any similar story would give us a clue about how long these two lads will spend in jail ? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

Be honest - If you were reading this and looking at the video for the first time, how would you interpret it?:- 

"the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police."

Difficult to say, given that before I saw that quote, I'd already read several articles that shed more light on how things had unfolded.