Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

4 hours ago, superal said:

I believe there were other cops turning up , so no escape , if that was ever on their minds .

Nothing was on their minds after a stunt like that. My wife was carrying on about it I told her they do the same stuff in there on country, you do not come to Thailand and get stupid over night even if it seems that way

Anyone else here the standing guy say "he tried to kill us" ?

Looks like the officer had his weapon out and in his own possession in one of the still shots.

Will be interesting to follow this.  But clearly the media has dubbed it another case of "bad bad foreigner"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I'd rather the people deciding their fate have access to all of the CCTV and then decide what happens to them. If they were to charge them, I'd rather see a large fine and send them back to New Zealand. No one was injured and the prisons are already full. What benefit is there of sending them to a Thai jail apart from causing mental and potentially physical suffering to two people who caused pretty much zero damage. Prisons in my opinion should be used to keep dangerous people away from the public, not for revenge.

And firearms should be used as a last resort, and in my opinion only when faced with an armed assailant,   there are other options available,  mace spray and tazers for example,  He had his gun out and ready to fire, had he shot either or both of them it would be a completely different story. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, milesinnz said:

As a New Zealander, I can confirm that NZ is full of arrogant entitled p***** ... looking forward to leaving permanently... to SE Asia....

In my many thousands of KMs of motorcycling in Thailand, I was ALWAYS stopped at EVERY road check point, even as Thai's without helmets passed by without being stopped.

Once I was stopped about 3 times in maybe 20 kms (I have no idea what there were so many check points). I complained to the senior Police Officer there. He was very friendly. Funny, the next two check points I went though I was not stopped the only time this has ever happened = not being stopped at a Police check point.

There can have been no possible sane reason why these two nutters ended up in the situation they did other than their own arrogance, entitlement and stupidity.

I think too many western people tend to demand the same standards in a SE Asian country as they expect in their own country, forgetting that they are guests in this country and need to abide by the laws and customs of that country. As they say, when in Rome xxx xx x

Here in Chiang Mai, I am usually waived through. Perhaps the officer recognized me as I am usually on the motorbike with my Thai wife and we always wear helmets. When I am pulled over at the traffic check point, I show my Thai License, the tax sticker is clearly visible. The officer, thanks me, gives me a smile and waves me on.  Experiences vary.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

they could have been acting in self defence, could have been a drunk cop overacting and turned his gun on these two, looks like thesudued the officer and were holding his gun, they were not pointing it at him, I'll bet the cop was on something. 

How do you know?

1 hour ago, Hellfire said:

I heard that in New Zealand they give an award to anybody attacking a policeman and especially to those who manage to get the policeman's weapon during the attack. Vastly different legal system!

Strange ,NZ police don't carry guns unlike Australia 🦘

• Haha 1

I would say, incompetent as they generally are, most Thai cops are very chilled and good at de escalating situations 

who knows this plod may have got carried away but the numscull kiwi lads are going to learn the hard/expensive way from this misadventure 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, tamsam6 said:

Anyone else here the standing guy say "he tried to kill us" ?

Looks like the officer had his weapon out and in his own possession in one of the still shots.
Will be interesting to follow this.  But clearly the media has dubbed it another case of "bad bad foreigner"

Regardless of what they did or didn't say, had the armed cop seriously wanted to kill them (which I doubt was ever  his intention ) they would probably be dead, and the cop, would have some serious explaining to do on his way to an "inactive post"   He may have threatened to shoot them , but the traditional and common sense response would be to put ones hands in the air . Regardless of  what actually happened the Police will have no trouble putting this to bed and appearing totally innocent, which they probably are in all fairness, likewise   the media's coverage of this is totally predictable and who could blame them

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

Perhaps they were reacting to Thai police extorting Farangs. ??????

Interesting how the concept of extortion by police is frequently brought up. I have been stopped by the police and never has anything unprofessional occurred. Could it be the people the police stop and who allegedly experience such acts, law breakers and get a bit anti that they have been stopped?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are not allowed to restrain a cop and take his gun away

A very sweeping statement , but I would suggest there are certain circumstances where one would be applauded for doing just that.   Although I very much doubt that was the case in this incident 

58 minutes ago, zakalwe said:

The "internal" safety in the Glock line is to prevent accidental discharge from like dropping the gun. It is disengaged when pulling the trigger.

A fine weapon.

Any manufacturer will tell you their pistols are drop safe, we know from experience no semi-auto is “safe” unless it is sitting on the bench with the slide back, mag removed, and verified clear. 

Be  careful wrestling with cops for their guns. Most likely locked and loaded. 

Edited by Captain Monday

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was more worried by the extreme anti-white racism of the male newsreader than anything else.

Check out the anti-foreigner sentiment (we don't need to talk racism here) in the comments on the YouTube video. 

Here's a translated example:

"Foreigners, no matter who they are, come to Thailand, become gods, become VIP guests, but Thai people go to foreigners. Even if you are a good person No matter how much power and money you have, you are a second-class person in his house."

8 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Be  careful wrestling with cops for their guns. Most likely locked and loaded.

Sound advice, for anybody considering behaving in a similar manner in the future, Although better advice would be simply "don't do it "

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Difficult to say, given that before I saw that quote, I'd already read several articles that shed more light on how things had unfolded.

Funny, that! I've trawled through a few pages here and you are the only one to quote "several articles" "multiple other sources", "other reports", "various articles", and "multiple different sources" - all in a couple of hours.

Not that I'm doubting your wide range of reading matter, it just seems unusual that nobody else seems to have seen any other reports on this incident? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Why are posters defending the two from New Zealand?  They should face the maximum consequences for their foolish actions - maximum fines plus maximum jail time plus lifetime bans on ever entering Thailand again.

I don't understand why posters like you have to go to such extremes and wish such hardship on others. By your words, their actions were foolish, that means lacking good sense or judgement. I thought maximum everything would be for intent, not making a bad call. 

45 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And firearms should be used as a last resort, and in my opinion only when faced with an armed assailant,   there are other options available,  mace spray and tazers for example,  He had his gun out and ready to fire, had he shot either or both of them it would be a completely different story. 

IMHO If the cop took out his gun to enforce the law (traffic violation) then the whole story changes.He wasn't expecting any resistance to a drawn gun.I'm not defending the Kiwis but that fact should be made public.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, rexpotter said:

The guy standing up seems to quite terrified of the whole thing and trying to stop something from getting worse.

The sensible one of the two...

15 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Interesting how the concept of extortion by police is frequently brought up. I have been stopped by the police and never has anything unprofessional occurred. Could it be the people the police stop and who allegedly experience such acts, law breakers and get a bit anti that they have been stopped?

In my 17 years of driving my car here I've been stopped and fined 200 baht each time on made up violations. Each time I gave them a wry smile, paid up and got on my way. What's the point in causing a scene for a couple of hundred baht? Even if these guys hadn't been speeding and all over the road, they had no motorbike licence so were breaking the law. Why risk a barney with a copper resulting in possible jail time over paying a small fine?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Check out the anti-foreigner sentiment (we don't need to talk racism here) in the comments on the YouTube video. 

Here's a translated example:

"Foreigners, no matter who they are, come to Thailand, become gods, become VIP guests, but Thai people go to foreigners. Even if you are a good person No matter how much power and money you have, you are a second-class person in his house."

So they equate having money and power with being a good person.   I always suspected that.    And those who consider themselves rich and powerful don't like to be considered second class ,  No surprises there either.

A more enlightened comment would have been something along the lines of..." There are millions and millions of people who visit Thailand every year, its a vital part of our economy, naturally there will always be problems and misunderstandings but thankfully events like this are very very rare,"