Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

58 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Your generalization of Thais has nothing to do with this topic either way. Humans in general will lie and refuse to take responsibility when being accused of a crime.

You are all muddled, there are no Thais accused of a crime here. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Torture, coercion, and extortion is common with the Thai police, see the recent exposure of Joe Ferrari as a prime example. 

Not sure why folk here are so quick to believe their version of the events. 

The Deputy Police Chief is currently facing charges of corruption related to an online gambling syndicate. 🫣

So what..........?

Hey, did you miss the videos, did you miss what the blokes were doing leading up to the assault......😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

The video you saw is enough evidence, it is illegal in every country in the world. You do not run off when a policeman ask you to stop and then fight him and steal his gun for whatever reason you might have. It's their luck they were not in the US.

What I saw was the two farangs restraining the cop, taking his gun off him and making it safe.

There is an additional video and photos of them all standing around together after the incident.

What led up to the assault happening?

Maybe the cop held a gun to their head over a traffic violation? 

Point is we simply don't know and are just speculating.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What happened before the video to spark the incident?

If you know, post it here, otherwise don't waste my time. 

You see, you have NOT read the whole story, which is hilarious.....🤣

"Don't waste my time"............Bwaaaaaaah..............😆

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dolf said:

They stole his gun.

Thank you! (I think a more accurate term would have been "disarmed" it, but hey, the justice system is out to get them!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, midasthailand said:

The person taking the video was NOT another cop, it was a local Thai woman who repeatedly asked the Kiwis to stop!!

This has already been pointed out a couple of times, so I was wrong to assume it was another cop - OK?

However, once again, the original post certainly IMPLIES that the incident was being videoed by the police :- 

" After the police pursuit, the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police."

How do you interpret that?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

reaction to the 2 brothers.

you dont know what happened, drive past a checkpoint and get chased??

I'm here for 30 year,, never,,Never a cop chase me when i past them or turn,, unless he wanted money what happened a lot when i'm driving my car.

And the cop have a loaded gun, no safety on and wass willing to used it on the 2 guys.

Yeah, i would do the same with a cop who high on yabaa..

Its all about farangs now, get him, take his money at all cost!!!

Its about time convit to come back here...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have met a lot of Thai police in my time here, and a lot of them are nutters.

Won't go into the gun for hire services (allegedly) and other stuff they get involved with. 

Its just the circle you move around with.

Anywhere on this planet, if you move around with the wrong guys, you will meet the worst characters around. That normal, nothing surprising.  

Some interesting tidbits about the Thai justice system:

1) criminal trials are typically heard and decided by a panel of judges

2) conviction rates in Thailand are above 95%

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

These facts are enough to convict them for assaulting a police man, stealing his weapon and illegal firearm possession.

All the made-up stories to try to shift blame won't change that.

To me all these feeble excuses are quite pathetic.

And you are an accredited criminal lawyer judging from your statements?

I give you a made-up story "speeding and not keep far enough to the left" in front of Chalong Police station which is exactly 75m away from the chaotic Chalong circle clogged with vehicles, where speeds are between 0 and 5km/h.

From the picture published they rode garden variety scooters and not Ducatis, which actually would reach illegal speeds within a distance of 75m under full acceleration.

I passed by chalong police station  weekly over the past 6 years. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:02 PM, superal said:

We have no video of what led up to the scuffle . However if the cop had been holding the gun and threatening to shoot them what do you expect ? Conjecture ? maybe but I would like to hear the full story . All ways two sides to a story but the NZs guys account will no doubt be ignored . What we do know is that the two NZ guys did not stop when told to and one had no licence but does that warrant a shooting ? More to this event than has been disclosed . 

what happened before they were pulled over is irrelevant. 
they are wrong and now must face the consequences.

Edited by zzzzz
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

alleged speeding,

I believe 'not riding in the left lane". Speeding is subjective, not riding in the left lane is not.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe 'not riding in the left lane". Speeding is subjective, not riding in the left lane is not.

.... the wording used (translated) is 'not riding close to the left side of the road'....    

This excuse has been used by the BiB in the past for a shakedown....      

In this case I think its just the 'written' (or verbalised excuse / reason) for the BiB to want to stop two foreigners on a Motorcycle. 

It doesn't matter what the excuse is.. If the BiB ask a motorist to stop, they have to stop. They can then contest whatever the reason is. 

So the NZ guys were clearly stupid for not stopping and allowing the issue to escalate beyond this point.

BUT... it has to be mentioned (I've mentioned it already in this case) - Numerous posters on this forum alone have commented that they 'burn through check-points'  and never stop because they want to avoid the being the target of a shake-down - that in itself is dumb.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

The one and only proof is the fact,that they subdued a police officer in order to get hold of his gun. 

Every other aspect is based on the account of Somrak, supported by the organisation he is a member of - starting with the alleged speeding, disobeying his command, being aggressive and attacking him for no other reason than him recording them on his phone. The recording that has up to today not been made publicly available for unknown reasons.

Extenuating circumstances, also called mitigating factors form an important part to fully understand a situation in criminal law of the developed world.

Maybe these terms are unknown in the Thai criminal justice system.

It would explain, that usually a raft of charges are laid - doesn’t matter if they are true and proven beyond reasonable doubt - and the general advice given states: plead guilty and get the sentence halved.

Do not try to fight, it will make matters far worse.

I have to disagree with you .

A police investigation does not revolve around keeping the public well informed and up to date.

There are many discussions about this incident going on but of course nearly all is in Thai language.

The legal terms are well known in the Thai legal system but again ,all in Thai language.

6 hours ago, ravip said:

Its just the circle you move around with.

Anywhere on this planet, if you move around with the wrong guys, you will meet the worst characters around. That normal, nothing surprising.  

I've met with all ranks of Police in my 33 years here. Mostly from Lumpini and Thong Lor districts. 

The most honest one I met was a lowly traffic cop in Bangkok, who used to come into our local bar, he didn't drink though.

Meanwhile, up the road a sergeant was allegedly supplying drugs to the bars for the farangs to deal to tourists.

4 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Oh dear, you're one of those "thai apologist." Time to ignore you.

Oh dear, you are one of the haters who go to Thailand then hate on everything.

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:46 PM, traveller101 said:

The one and only proof is the fact,that they subdued a police officer in order to get hold of his gun. 

That is good enough for a long jail time.

Is it allowed in your country?

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 6:55 AM, BritManToo said:

I was more worried by the extreme anti-white racism of the male newsreader than anything else.

What racism? I never heard any. It's good that Thais are not PC and can call a spade a spade. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What racism? I never heard any. It's good that Thais are not PC and can call a spade a spade. 

Erm...  apparently you can't call a spade a spade any more Neeranam... 

... The wokerati have decided the term is no longer related to the transliteration of (Greek Philosopher) Erasmus' phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough"... it has since been linked to playing cards, at some point the term 'spade' was used as a code for 'Black People' and hence a simple phrase acquired racial undertones... 

Soon...  I wont be able to mention socks, or how sweaty they get..  not because your 'Iron brew fried Mars bar eating lot' get upset, but because a bunch of gender misappropriating nonce softies lack the ability to turn the banter into a win for both parties with an entertaining exchange of verbiage our better halves would blush at....

• Haha 1