Swiss technology revolutionises Thai railways with first arch culvert

webfact

image.jpeg
Picture courtesy of SRT shows An arch culvert from Switzerland is built in tambon Pong Pa Wai in Den Chai district of Phrae province as part of the Den Chai-Ngao section of the 323.10-kilometre Den Chai- Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong double track railway project.

Swiss technology finds its way into the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) as arch culvert technology is incorporated into the double-track railroad project between Den Chai district in Phrae and Chiang Khong district in Chiang Rai. This marks the first time such technology is being used in Thailand, according to Ekkarat Sriarayanpong, the head of the SRT governor’s office.

The first of its kind, the arch culvert is under construction in Tambon Pong Pa Wai in the Den Chai district, forming a part of the Den Chai-Ngao railway section. The culvert, which is 33.5 metres in length and 4.2m in height, is expected to be completed in two months.

The Swiss technology not only promises to reduce the cost of arch culverts by 20-25% but also aims to reduce the carbon footprint of the site by cutting back on cement usage. Precast fortified concrete slabs, produced in a factory, replace the traditional cement and are assembled at the site.

Furthermore, the arch design of the culvert provides ample space for vehicles to pass underneath the railway, boasting a total height from floor to ceiling of up to 4.2m.

by Mitch Connor 

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-18

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

This project plans to incorporate at least 37 such arch culverts: 21 in the first section of the railway, eight in the second, and at least eight in the final section.

The first section of the railway, Den Chai-Ngao, spans 103.7 kilometres and has cost 26.6 billion baht to build. Progress on this section is at 6.49%, ahead of the initial schedule. The second section, Ngao-Chiang Rai, stands at 7.76% completion, running 132.3km long and costing 26.89 billion baht. The final section, Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong, is 5.54% complete, stretching 87.1km and has been allocated a budget of 19.38 billion baht.

The double-track railway, slated for completion in 2028, promises faster transportation for passengers and goods. It will also provide a connection between Laos and China’s Kunming region.

Notably, the railway will facilitate the transportation of goods from other landlocked countries in the Greater Mekong Sub-region through Thailand. These goods can then be shipped to a third destination country from the Laem Chabang seaport.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Old tech....these have been in use for decades...usually using heavy duty corrugated steed pipe sections.....I'm 77 and used these 30 years ago.....but things are slow here..no-one here like change!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

323.10-kilometre Den Chai- Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong double track railway project.

Great to see the progress of this SRT metre gauge double track to the Mekong at Chaing Khong. It will certainly improve travel in this region, also providing a link with Bangkok. I see SRT have got their priorities right and are delaying the Chinese HST from Vientiane to Bangkok via Udon, Khon Kaen and Korat.

Swiss technology finds its way into the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) as arch culvert technology is incorporated into the double-track railroad project between Den Chai district in Phrae and Chiang Khong district in Chiang Rai.

You mean the arch technology Romans were doing 2000 years ago?  :thumbsup:

th-498510246.jpeg.3a7bfaed33e4d2c55b2e7c0c99852b31.jpeg

This marks the first time such technology is being used in Thailand, according to Ekkarat Sriarayanpong, the head of the SRT governor’s office.

I don't think so.

arch-thai-temple-sky-religion-47660037-2423741993.jpg.69adefe0e0cdd93acacd570b5195d262.jpg

Heck, we have "arch culvert" technology that supports the roadway over a stream bed that traverse the road we live on.  Must have been a slow day at SRT public-affairs.

Please help me understand this?

In my country a "Culvert" is a small bridge over a stream of gutter.

So is the structure in the photo going to have the road built up on either side and allow vehicular traffic to pass over the railway tracks without impeding the trains? A bit like an "overbridge".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Precast fortified concrete slabs, produced in a factory, replace the traditional cement and are assembled at the site.

Er.....concrete also contains cement......

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

So is the structure in the photo going to have the road built up on either side and allow vehicular traffic to pass over the railway tracks without impeding the trains? A bit like an "overbridge".

Who knows. The function is not explained in the report.

1 hour ago, cracker1 said:

Good question. I was wondering same. From the picture it looks like the train track (the wide strip) will have to be elevated over the top of the "culvert". See no mention of trains passing through the "culvert". It say's vehicle pass though the culvert so the trains must go up and over. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1