Illegal Immigrant Workers are Taking Over Thai Jobs in Tourist Areas

webfact

image.jpeg

On March 19th, 2024, Mr. Somchai Morakotsriwan, the Director-General of the Department of Employment, publicly revealed a case of immigrant workers allegedly illegally taking over Thai people’s jobs in tourist attractions and commercial areas in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and other locations.

Somchai stated immigrant workers included various nationalities such as Burmese, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Chinese, Russian, and Indian nationals. The foreign workers allegedly illegally competed with locals in commercial areas in Chinatown, Huai Khwang, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, and other popular tourist destinations.

According to statistics from October 1st, 2023 to March 18th, 2024, the Thai Department of Employment inspected 25,628 companies nationwide and 306,577 individuals from the aforementioned nationals. As a result, more than 1,689 individuals were facing legal action with 721 individuals allegedly directly competing with Thai locals for jobs.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-03-21

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Haha 1

Tried to find a thai who takes care of the garden ... = impossible .

One worked some days , but left directly after I asked him if he has eyes ( Mai mee taa , mai ? ) .

The plant he was watering died already of thirst ...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Tried to find a thai who takes care of the garden ... = impossible .

One worked some days , but left directly after I asked him if he has eyes ( Mai mee taa , mai ? ) .

The plant he was watering died already of thirst ...

I got one.... he seems to spend most of the day in my bathroom or fixing his ancient garden tools. He beats the one prior who chopped through my water pipes with his strimmer, and yes, they do like the lazy job of standing there with a hose pipe! I'm even lazier though!

• Haha 2

Normally it's Thai's who do all the employing of illegal workers, I cant think of any farangs who employ Burmese,

There is many Thai restaurants around Rawai with Burmese workers, mostly hotel staff around here are Burmese,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The US faces the same issue.

"Report: Trump Happily Employing Undocumented Workers While ICE Rounds Them Up"

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/08/trump-organization-undocumented-workers

86% of agricultural workers in the US are foreign-born and 45% of all US agricultural workers are undocumented.

https://cmsny.org/agricultural-workers-rosenbloom-083022/

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Thais have no work ethic; in fact little sense of ethics at all.  There is not one area of Thai life free from corruption (check out the millions stolen by crooked monks in Korat).  There is no sense of building a customer base by thoughtful service; they look no further than the immediate baht.  There is over-reliance on restrictive practices like price-fixing cartels/monopolies.  When farangs attempt to plug some of these gaps they cry foul.

Great response,

Agree absolutely with you.

20 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There is many Thai restaurants around Rawai with Burmese workers, mostly hotel staff around here are Burmese,

Quite a lot of restaurant staff non-Thai around Pattaya too!

20 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Normally it's Thai's who do all the employing of illegal workers, I cant think of any farangs who employ Burmese,

When I was in hotels and restaurants down Pattaya way, government representatives would come in and go through the books thread to the needle checking social security payments, tax payments, licences, everything.

Surrounded by Thai businesses, did they go to their establishments?

Not a chance!

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Over the last 12 years Ive had many Burmese, some are ok some are  not, however even they dont want field work they want a factory job and with overtime.

In 12  years of  having staff only 2-3 have been good , 90% are dross. cue the you pay them peanuts brigade, who are clueless

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Yes, but that doesn't fit the narrative, just like foreigners are responsible for all Thailand's woes!

We are right back to xenophobia until they can figure out a deflection story more suitable.

Thais want money WITHOUT work.

you  mean a  security guard..............all night sleeping

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thais have no work ethic

My Thai inlaws are in their 70s and are up and working from the break of dawn every day of their life, and have never asked for 1 baht from anybody. Their neighbors are the same. Do you work that hard, Mister Bell?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So in 6 months of investigation by the Dept of Employment, 306,577 foreign nationals were investigated, of which 1,689, a whole half percent, were working illegally and of those 721 were directly competing with work that should have been done by a Thai. Hardly a threat to the Thai economy is it?

Edited by edwinchester
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

mikebell must be hanging out with the wrong Thai crowd.   My wife and her family are pretty much what you described.  A bunch of work a holics! Good with money too.   My wife asked if I would loan her $120,000.00 from my retirement fund.   She paid it back in less than 2 years.   She has a business that earns her more money than anyone else I have known, except that guy down in Texas that sold drill pipe to the oil well industry.   He was making over a 3 million a year at 2% sales commission, in today's money!

My brother in law (BIL) across the street from me works a full time job and has a side business as well that he works.   His ex father and mother in law (EFIL & EMIL) continued to live with him after his wife divorced him and remarried.   EFIL & EMIL are up at dawn doing something to make money.   I go across the street to talk with BIL's EFIL and I find him always working on something, fixing it up to so the BIL can sell it on facebook.  

mikebell's all inclusive claims about Thai's fall flat as all the ones, not just my wife and inlaws, are hard working honest people.

radiochaser........This Is Your Life....

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Cuz  they can do it  better , fact

And more times than not, with a smile. 

6 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

No it wasn't.   I watched ... eerrrr ... listened to the entire video!

No,😋 thanks, you can stop at the end of the intro..........