Thai Government Intensifies Crackdown on Foreign Criminals to Protect Tourism

webfact

8 hours ago, bob smith said:

Looks like Hate Week is turning into Hate Month, maybe Hate Year who knows.

I can definitely feel the Hate outside at the moment. It is palpable. 

bob.

With so much hate spewed here at AN, are you surprised at least now its been reciprocated? With time, these feelings become mutual. The foreigners with a 'superiority complex' should find some place equal to their 'standards' and leave alone the normal aliens who enjoy Thailand as it is.

• Confused 2

Good idea crack down on all those pesky 0.001% foreigners, while chief of police and his deputy have a few charges against them and they just get moved to work elsewhere.

Once get rid off all the pesky foreigners, may be then top heads will be able to sleep easier with all the charges against them 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

This goes hand in hand with not revealing the dreadful levels of smog, right? Bad for Thai tourism to tell the truth I guess.

Nobody is hiding the appalling smog levels, nor the road traffic deaths nor any of the other bad things, if any potential tourist was to research those things, they would know in a heartbeat and would holiday in Morecambe instead......or would they!

2 hours ago, transam said:

😂............Can't believe you wrote that.......😂

So what dodgy enterprise are you involved in.........🤭

If that's your best reply a; poorly structured insinuation based on nothing more than your imagination. You don't appear to have anything more of value to add to this thread. 

• Thanks 1

In my experience with Thai Immigration, what they will do it profile tourists at the port of entry based on hairstyle and whether or not they are wearing flip-flops or short pants.

'Yep!  He looks like a criminal'

31 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Making stuff up to get mad about. I mean, we could look at the evidence of the  benefits that immigration brings to countries, especially in economically, and that they are less likely to commit crimes, just like immigrants in Thailand are an overall a benefit for the country. 

Your kind of "muh feels" attitude is exactly the same that is driving this nonsense at the moment. To think of the millions of people that visit, or live in Thailand, and horror of horror, some of them act badly, a very very small amount. They can be dealt with by the existing laws in place, but we get this hyperbolic postering from those in power and talks of "crackdowns" - it is all just meaningless guff to make themselves feel important. Basically the "muh feels over facts" crowd like yourself who go and tar everyone with the same brush. 

😂........That lot has made me smile........😂..............:clap2:

13 minutes ago, jonclark said:

If that's your best reply a; poorly structured insinuation based on nothing more than your imagination. You don't appear to have anything more of value to add to this thread. 

Hey, you don't like a bit of banter in my replies then, though it does seem you have missed quite a lot of my posts on the subject.................🤗

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Nobody is hiding the appalling smog levels, nor the road traffic deaths nor any of the other bad things, if any potential tourist was to research those things, they would know in a heartbeat and would holiday in Morecambe instead......or would they!

And very Wise..... 🎵Give me sunshine and a smile...... 🎵

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Much ado about relatively nothing.  614 cases since Oct. 2023.  So, a tad over 100 cases a month out of millions of tourists, with most of the cases, from the article, on the petty side.  A handful of the 614, also relatively minor cases but blown way out of proportion, have garnered lots of publicity so something must be seen to be done.  These high-profile but petty cases wouldn't have caused a ripple in the US.  

Yes. The US is another country. 

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

That is a matter of opinion ...not fact. I do not think that a bit of swearing and a kick should result in a person's life being torn apart. I feel the punishment should fit the crime. 

The Thai woman is 8 months pregnant and the Russian kicked her in the groin twice, as well as giving her a load of verbal abuse. She should be jailed for violence and then deported imho.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

I could draw parallels with a particularly dark period in western Europe during the first half of the 20th Century, but I better not.

Isn't that totally obvious? While I could cope with ending in gaz chamber in my mid seventies, I have to make a risk assessment for my two beautiful Eurasian daughters, who might be at risk too.

52 minutes ago, jesimps said:

The Thai woman is 8 months pregnant and the Russian kicked her in the groin twice, as well as giving her a load of verbal abuse. She should be jailed for violence and then deported imho.

My comment was in response to the Swiss man  and Dr incident on a Phuket be. Thanks. 

How about do a few checks on those Russians & Arabs that have taken over Pattaya & running their own businesses on walking street etc , they have practically taken over , there is even Young people in their 20’s handing out flyers on the street as you walk past their bars every night now !!

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

Sorry but you would never find such an extreme punishment if it were Thai on Thai. All punishments should be equal for all people, irrespective of nationality or ethnicity, otherwise your are condoning discrimination and racism. 

You may disagree with that but that says more about you than I. 

I disagree. In your house you allow your family a certain amount of leeway for their transgressions, but if a visitor came and got out of order, especially of the violent sort, you'd turf them out on their ear. Similar situation here, visitors are expected to exhibit good behaviour in a country where they are guests, whereas locals are as a rule shown a bit more leniency.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I disagree. In your house you allow your family a certain amount of leeway for their transgressions, but if a visitor came and got out of order, especially of the violent sort, you'd turf them out on their ear. Similar situation here, visitors are expected to exhibit good behaviour in a country where they are guests, whereas locals are as a rule shown a bit more leniency.

Awful analogue. Basically you have said one law for thais and one for foreigners. Which is not how the law works.

BTW. Do you make visitors to your house pay tax, room and board or provide your family members with jobs??? 

Terrible analogue.

This has been 17 years in the making.

In the past Mr T tried to turn Thai against Thai for his own purposes.

Didn't work out too good.

Now turn Thai against another group...the foreigner. A common enemy. A vote  getter.

He's back guys.

History tells us this works quite well.

The army won't care this time.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

Thai Government Intensifies Crackdown on Foreign Criminals to Protect Tourism

Translated:  Assume that all foreigners are criminals.  Treat them all as potential criminals.  Make it know that all foreigner as being surveilled and monitored.  Watch tourism numbers decline over time as foreigners get the message:  "Come to Thailand, leave your money, and then get out."

Perhaps give every tourist a good beating as they come through immigration just to let them know, we only want the best for you so don't transgress the law, this is a warning. But I jest, here in Isaan I haven't noticed any change, haven't seen any evil done to us law abiding pensioners, no shifty looks, no mumbled remarks, nobody has spat at me.

27 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

This has been 17 years in the making.

In the past Mr T tried to turn Thai against Thai for his own purposes.

Didn't work out too good.

Now turn Thai against another group...the foreigner. A common enemy. A vote  getter.

He's back guys.

History tells us this works quite well.

The army won't care this time.

We have to remember that these dum-dums caused their own problems by starting the global crash in 1997, then had to be bailed out by the IMF.

Resentment ran deep as foreign entities took over Thai companies, even banks, often 100% of shares, as foreign ownership rules had to be relaxed as a condition of the IMF bail-out.

Thaksin’s first ‘Thai Rak Thai’ government was a direct response to this and was elected on a platform of xenophobic nationalism, as the name implies. There was national celebration as his government paid off the IMF loan earlier than scheduled. 

Having foreigners bail them out, and the epic loss of face, has never been forgotten. 

• Thanks 1

"Thai Government Intensifies Crackdown on Foreign Criminals to Protect Tourism"

means:

"Thai Government Intensifies Crackdown on Western tourists to Protect Chinese and Indian Tourism"

Rate this topic

What happened to the Thai BUDDHIST people?

AFAIK, Thais have always hold the prescription that if you wish bad for someone the bad will hit you in 10-fold (= Karma).
Thais were always reluctant to wish anybody being prosecuted for a crime out of fear that their wish would turn into bad Karma for themseleves.
The would forgive a person who hurt them and would let Karma do the bad work.
Now they changed all of the sudden?
Ain't they afraid that KARMA will hit them 10-fold for washing the foreigners bad luck?

Edited by Confuscious
line added