Do Ebikes require a helmet and licence?

TH, you can probably get away without wearing one, maybe, and depends on the 'look' of the bike.   My DIY, still looks like a pedal bike, although, doesn't take much to realize it's motorized.   I don't bother with a helmet, though rarely go over 25 kph, even though it will do 40+ kph.

Keep a low profile, as don't need the attention, and better not to be noticed, since not wearing a helmet.   Saying that, they don't enforce the helmet law here anyway, unless a check point, which aren't even set up on a weekly basis.  Everyone actually drives pretty good here, unlike other areas.

Do wear a helmet all the time on the MB, as simply common sense.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

There's some interesting information that I've unearthed on this web site. Electric motorcycles in Thailand

Of course the rules herein are being blatantly ignored as is the way in Thailand. I've pointed out a few times, the dangers of kids as young as 5 years old riding these machines around the village and even out on the highway (such as it is), but the usual answer prevails. "It's up to them".

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There's some interesting information that I've unearthed on this web site. Electric motorcycles in Thailand

Of course the rules herein are being blatantly ignored as is the way in Thailand. I've pointed out a few times, the dangers of kids as young as 5 years old riding these machines around the village and even out on the highway (such as it is), but the usual answer prevails. "It's up to them".

What a weird site with a lot of gibberish. Especially towards the end. I wouldn't trust anything it says. Also it has "chairman mau" in its domain, what? I have not seen any regulation yet which states the excemption from license requirements up to 500W even though a few websites claim it. The motor vehicle act doesn't have any such provisions so it can only be some newer regulation but again, never seen any actual document.

This when by the shall the between the with to the hereof.

What? 🙂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Do wear a helmet all the time on the MB, as simply common sense.

That can be lacking some times. :whistling:

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

In my experience as long as it looks and functions as a bicycle then you don't need a license or a helmet (although you might want to wear one anyway), I believe there is a limit of something like max 500W motor. However if we're talking more like an electric motorcycle/scooter that will do 70 mph, then it needs to be registered, taxed, insured and you'll need a license and a helmet just like a regular motorcycle.

Be nice to actually have a Thai motor vehicle site, in Thai script, with actually legality of ebikes.  Would think and ebike, would have pedals.   Though the smaller ones I've seen, the pedals seem to be just window dressing and yet to see anyone using.  When researching, I found nothing concerning ebikes.   If it has 2 or 3 wheels and is motorized, it's a motorcycle, no matte what size, 50cc or 250w, or how powered.  Whether that has been updated or not, I don't know as haven't searched recently.

Which would require registration, license & helmet of course.

Have yet to see any ebike, mobility bike/scooter pulled over/stopped, getting cited, and there's plenty around town, that seem to be ignored  by PoPo.

Also thought the motor size was limited to 250w or 350w, from sellers stating laws, without any verification of.   Mine (DIY on a Schwinn) is 1000w, and the same as the smallest motor of DECO motorcycles' 3 offerings (1000-2000-3000w), which our DECO motorcycle is 3000w, and will do 90 kph, as I've done 87 kph, and still had more throttle to go.

Had my DIY ebike up to 40+ kph, but no desire to go faster, as not built for speed, both suspension & brakes are still original, and I'd never stop in time if an emergency.  Most ebikes <500w motor will do 25-35 kph, and maybe 30 kms on full power, with light load (1 person).  A lot depends on your battery also, if it will provide enough juice to max the power output of motor.

Most ebikes have 3 modes, pedal (no power), PAS (Power assist while pedaling) and full power (no pedaling).

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 12:10 PM, KhunLA said:

Be nice to actually have a Thai motor vehicle site, in Thai script, with actually legality of ebikes.  Would think and ebike, would have pedals.   Though the smaller ones I've seen, the pedals seem to be just window dressing and yet to see anyone using.  When researching, I found nothing concerning ebikes.   If it has 2 or 3 wheels and is motorized, it's a motorcycle, no matte what size, 50cc or 250w, or how powered.  Whether that has been updated or not, I don't know as haven't searched recently.

Which would require registration, license & helmet of course.

Have yet to see any ebike, mobility bike/scooter pulled over/stopped, getting cited, and there's plenty around town, that seem to be ignored  by PoPo.

Also thought the motor size was limited to 250w or 350w, from sellers stating laws, without any verification of.   Mine (DIY on a Schwinn) is 1000w, and the same as the smallest motor of DECO motorcycles' 3 offerings (1000-2000-3000w), which our DECO motorcycle is 3000w, and will do 90 kph, as I've done 87 kph, and still had more throttle to go.

Had my DIY ebike up to 40+ kph, but no desire to go faster, as not built for speed, both suspension & brakes are still original, and I'd never stop in time if an emergency.  Most ebikes <500w motor will do 25-35 kph, and maybe 30 kms on full power, with light load (1 person).  A lot depends on your battery also, if it will provide enough juice to max the power output of motor.

Most ebikes have 3 modes, pedal (no power), PAS (Power assist while pedaling) and full power (no pedaling).

You can take an ebike on train but full scooter no?