Any thoughts on how to apply for the UK State Pension?

I turn 66 in September this year and I am trying to find out how best to make my application. On the DWP website they say that if you are applying from abroad you must complete their 24 page application form, which requires details of every employer you have worked for in your life, as well as mountains of other pointless stuff.

A couple of people I have spoken to have said the best thing is to start six months ahead by phoning them and avoiding all the form filling. 

I would be grateful for any advice. 

Yes, I had to fill in the long form, but, if you have a problem filling in the form, just ring them up, talk to a bloke about probs, I did, remember, what every you write on the form will affect the pension payment you will get...

It did take me a while to remember jobs and dates I had......🤕

If you can't remember, and I think it's a  deliberate move by them to slow down applications etc, you have to write to HMRC for your record of who what and when. Takes weeks for them to respond.

Why they want you to tell them, when they have the record in front them is crazy.Who can rattle off every employers start and finish date etc is absurd in my opinion.

I wrote an email requesting clarification on some points 3 weeks ago and still no response.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

HMRC’s announcement includes the news that from 8 April:

• The PAYE helpline will no longer take calls from customers chasing the status of repayments, directing them instead to check online.
  • The VAT helplines will only be available for 5 days per month, immediately prior to the monthly filing deadline. At all other times customers will be directed to online services.
  • Between April and September, the Self-Assessment (SA) helpline will be closed. Furthermore, although it will operate between October and March, it will only take ‘priority calls’; and all queries that HMRC believe can be dealt with online will be directed to the online services.

https://www.pcs.org.uk/news-events/news/hmrc-calls-taking-too-long-stop-taking-calls

Not sure how this affects the pension phone lines

• Thanks 1

For my wife we did the form by post but she only had two employers (one of them me) so not much of a chore. For myself I called them up and spent about 30-45 minutes on the phone filling the form out - but we got there in the end - all sorted. Main thing is to have your NI number to hand.

The call can be expensive so I would recommend Skype. Especially as you listen to crappy music for 20 minutes waiting for somebody to pick up at their end

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

For my wife we did the form by post but she only had two employers (one of them me) so not much of a chore. For myself I called them up and spent about 30-45 minutes on the phone filling the form out - but we got there in the end - all sorted. Main thing is to have your NI number to hand.

The call can be expensive so I would recommend Skype. Especially as you listen to crappy music for 20 minutes waiting for somebody to pick up at their end

I have a feeling I got them to call me back, well I did for something Gov, because of the cost and the phone running out of dosh.............:stoner:

I went back to the UK for a visit and did it online at the same time. I was truly amazed how simple it was. No questions about previous employment at all.

Glad I didn't try to do it from here.

• Like 1

I last month helped a friend in the UK sort his UK pension application.

First attempt was using the online application, which came against the problem the OP mentions, a request for details of spells spent working/living overseas plus dates.

Having added details for three, out of about a dozen, such spells overseas the website page did not offer the option to add more.

So we (I on his behalf) called the helpline.

After personal details and permission to speak on behalf of the applicant was settled (simply by asking the applicant if Chomper can speak on their behalf), the DWP staff member told me only one period overseas is required.

This will trigger a check of the applicant’s NHS record and if periods were spent in the EU will also trigger any rights to EU nation pension rights.

So details of one period living and working in EU was given over the phone and the rest of the application completed over the phone in less than 15 minutes.

The applicant received his confirmation of pension payment within a ten days of that call. I’ve not heard if he has had any contact regarding EU pension rights.

In summary.

Use the online application page and where you have a record of working overseas provide just one example, preferably a period of working/living in the EU if you have one.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

I recall that when I applied to voluntary top up my NI contributions, I had to provide a detailed list of my employment record since the existence of Adam and Eve... With a lot of effort I was able to list more than 20 different employers, both in the UK and ex-EU, and the decision was made to let me pay NI top-ups at the lower rate (good news!).

Now that I will need to apply for my state pension early next year, I searched for my employment list and can't find it!  I wonder if the pensions department can provide me with the information that I previously gave them.  Would I even need to complete the employment history again since they already have it in their records?

• Thanks 1