21 minutes ago, xeniv23 said:

I don't think that anyone will come knocking on your door.  It's possible that you will just be doing the routine paperwork for an extension and suddenly the IO will ask "Where are your Thai Tax Documents.....?  No Documents No Extension?"  Just a guess.  It could be official policy or an IO just jerking your chain.  The way things work around here you just never know.  

You do realise that in order to pay or reclaim tax in Thailand, you firstly have to be registered for tax purposes and be issued a TIN for identification purposes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

You do realise that in order to pay or reclaim tax in Thailand, you firstly have to be registered for tax purposes and be issued a TIN for identification purposes.

And of course if you don't register for a TIN, the persons bank account wouldn't yield any clues whatsoever to the persons identity.! :))

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I am exempt form UK tax as my pensions are below the taxable level. So I would have no such proof of tax paid as I haven't paid any. That'll confuse them, because all farangs are rich so I must have paid tax.

So you would have to pay tax on all of your pension when it is sent here

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I can understand that the Thai Government would like to tax "earnings" of people resident in Thailand but for those who are here longer than 183 days therefore deemed tax residents but who are drawing on pensions or savings that presumably are already taxed at source then as an inflow of foreign exchange  every dollar, Euro, shekel of whatever is already a net gain to Thailand and it's economy. Tax or no tax that money is already injected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That is incorrect guidance and is highly inappropriate!

The basic deductions for an over 65 year old are 190k for over age 65 years plus 60k personal allowance. There is also a zero tax rated band of 150k. If the difference between those two allowances and the 500k you mention is derived from ANY source that is not covered by a DTA and/or is taxed at a lower rate in the home country than it is in Thailand, the income is assessable to Thai tax. Not registering for a TIN and not filing taxes to declare that income, assuming the person was Thai tax resident, means that person is guilty of tax evasion for which there are harsh penalties.

So if over 65 you can transfer 400k PA tax free, if under that you dont have to fill in a tax return anyway?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Agree, it's all nonsense, there's no way the Thai tax department could ever find out your foreign income or tax it.

If anyone asks me, I have 400kbht in the bank (as required by immigration) and no income, I live off my Thai wife.

Optimist! At the next visa extension the immigration officer will explain to you, no income certificate from the authorities of your country, no visa. The 400k on your Banking account is als taxed as Income!:post-4641-1156694572:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, xeniv23 said:

I don't think that anyone will come knocking on your door.  It's possible that you will just be doing the routine paperwork for an extension and suddenly the IO will ask "Where are your Thai Tax Documents.....?  No Documents No Extension?"  Just a guess.  It could be official policy or an IO just jerking your chain.  The way things work around here you just never know.  

I think that is highly unlikely. Should they decide to tax us foreigners and that is still not yet a given, we would not be required to file a tax return until early next year. (The Thai tax year being 1st Jan to 31st Dec) Therefor we cannot be denied an extension because we wouldn't have done anything wrong, at least not this year. 

Imagine the panic if they suddenly said 'No tax docs' no extension!'. 

More likely we would receive notification from Immigration (the obvious channel) that next year (2025) we would be required to prove that we are complying with the tax rules.

Once again the community is getting themselves all stressed out before we have any solid information. How's about we just cool it a bit.

That's a hint @Mike Lister :smile:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

All banks have to withhold 15% on any interest paid on bank accounts and to forward that to the Revenue. The banks also have to identify the account holder to the Revenue so that if they do file a tax return and try to reclaim that tax, they are able to match them. For example, when I file my Thai tax return each year, all I have to do is to enter one of my banka ccounts where interest was paid and tax was with held and voila, just like magic, all my bank accounts appear showing all the interest paid and all the tax wit held.

Yes, I know.
I also reclaim those taxes, but only because I have a TIN.
I simply request a 'statement of tax paid' from the bank and voilà, I receive a reimbursement cheque shortly after.

No TIN, no reclaim of taxes, No TIN, no submission of taxes.

15 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Now, about those coffee shops. I don't know exactly how those coffee shops are registered for tax but I suspect it's the same way that my wife has her business registered, as a self employed business. Others will have heard this before but in case you haven't.....she sells baked goods from home and turns over more than 1 million Baht a year. Generous tax concessions for the self employed allow her to deduct 60% of her sales cost as expenses so that she only has assessible income of around 400k. With tax deductions etc, she pays tax of around 12k per year but is required to file a tax return twice a year. I reality she takes home around 50k per per month, tax paid as described previously.

Again, my wife also runs her own business, self-employed since age 24.

Her business is registered, and she pays a 'business' tax, but that's directly to the Provincial government, not the Tax office.
She also pays a 'signage' tax, but again direct to the local Provincial government.

In terms of personal taxation, she has never registered, never been asked to register and wouldn't have a clue how much her turnover is in a year.

There are only some 10 million Thais, out of 70 million, registered for tax and half of them are government employees.
Most Thais are classed as self-employed, non tax registered and don't pay tax.
If the tax revenue is looking for more money, they should start there.

I was self-employed in the UK for over 35 years, but by law had to keep accounts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Yes, I know.
I also reclaim those taxes, but only because I have a TIN.
I simply request a 'statement of tax paid' from the bank and voilà, I receive a reimbursement cheque shortly after.

No TIN, no reclaim of taxes, No TIN, no submission of taxes.

Again, my wife also runs her own business, self-employed since age 24.

Her business is registered, and she pays a 'business' tax, but that's directly to the Provincial government, not the Tax office.
She also pays a 'signage' tax, but again direct to the local Provincial government.

In terms of personal taxation, she has never registered, never been asked to register and wouldn't have a clue how much her turnover is in a year.

There are only some 10 million Thais, out of 70 million, registered for tax and half of them are government employees.
Most Thais are classed as self-employed, non tax registered and don't pay tax.
If the tax revenue is looking for more money, they should start there.

I was self-employed in the UK for over 35 years, but by law had to keep accounts.

I'm not sure what you point is, you said that those coffee shops didn't pay tax and I gave you an example of where my wifes business, akin to a coffee shop, is registered for tax and you have confirmed that your wife pays tax also....so? We know that only 11% of the workforce is registered for tax and that only 6% of the WF pays tax, 4% via a PAYE equivalent. That is one of the smallest tax nets in Asia and the Revenue is working to increase it, case in point, the new tax ruling. We all know the capture rate is low, the Revenue knows it also, that's why more people will be forced into that net, mostly by using electronic bank information I imagine. 

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm not sure what you point is, you said that those coffee shops didn't pay tax and I gave you an example of where my wifes business, akin to a coffee shop, is registered for tax and you have confirmed that your wife pays tax also....so?

She pays those taxes to the local provincial government, not Thai tax revenue department.

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

it is amazing to me that Thailand would try to deal with the American tax system ... it is akin to herding cats with so many variables and to think the individual will be responsible for conforming with the complexities?

Thailand is not dealing with the American system. They are only interested in the Thai tax system and income remitted to or earned in Thailand under their laws.

• Like 1

Just now, Liquorice said:

She pays those taxes to the local provincial government, not Thai tax revenue department.

Great! I don't understand what your wife's business is., how it is structured for tax or income etc and I don't need to know, bottom line sound like she pays some tax on her income. My wife operates her business as described and that's cost effective for her. Is there a point anywhere here? 

Mike Lister,

Yeah, I forgot that this is just a bend in the rules of that tax law....I figured that eventually with all the crying and screaming both of ex-pats and locals forced to pay taxes here that it would mean that they had to re-write the tax laws to keep people at bay and thus would need that royal blessing.  I see that way too many people are still bothered by this change in rules although it will probably only affect a small

percentage of them.  Other ASEAN countries too signed on to the OECD decision of last year and are changing their tax collection rules too.  Pretty soon tax evaders and those that "bend" the rules will have

no where to hide.  Next they need to tackle the "agents" that are always around with too many people accepting them.   take care

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

There is nothing to stop any pensioner who has provable savings prior to January 1, 2024 transferring said savings progressively into Thailand tax-free, then allowing the pension payments to accumulate in an Australian bank account. At least, that's the way I understand the laws. Money cannot be taxed here, until it surfaces in a Thai bank account.

Correct

• Agree 1