Thai Officials Announce "Innovative" Expat Health Measure

webfact

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

The fact that so many members on this forum actually believed this story is very, very telling!

bob.

some may even believe your stories Bob 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, nikmar said:

some may even believe your stories Bob 🙂

no stories from me mate, just unaltered facts!

this was clearly an april fools joke from the start..

'a ministry spokesman' was the dead giveaway.. mr. no name, how convenient.

bob.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

It's actually confirmed what I was thinking, the majority of posters on AN forum are total muppets, triggered by a topic that was obviously a wind up from the start, brings a whole new meaning to 'special needs'.🤭🤭

tell me about it mate!

and they are supposed to be the 'purveyors of good taste'!

hahahaaaaaaa.

laughable.

bob.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

As it turns out, masks are STILL mandatory in a very small number of settings in Thailand, though obviously none of them single out foreigners as such. 

Some companies still require their staff wear masks, though not customers. Tops is one example and of course countless restaurants and convenience stores. 

In October 2023, my boss and I visited a Japanese manufacturing company just outside Bangkok for a business meeting and both masks and a self-administered antigen test were a requirement to get in to the building. There was also the hand temperature scanner, though only employees were required to use that. Once in the meeting room, there were partitions between us and the Japanese manager we spoke with. His mask was so tightly sewn to his face, I think it's been permanently attached since January 2020. I'm almost certain they're still requiring all this now, in April 2024. Yet I came in drinking coffee and they offered us bottles of water! Why then, all the Covid nonsense then? 

The Chinese visa application centers in Bangkok and Chiang Mai still require masks. You'll get in with a mask on your chin but no mask at all = no entry.

I hear some immigration offices would prefer you to wear a mask, though none of them currently require you to anymore so no issues there. However, they stopped late. I hear masks still being a requirement as late as mid 2023 at some offices! 

As previously pointed out, some schools and even nurseries continue to require students to wear masks. The brainwashing starts early in Thailand. 

I'm sure there are more examples than this. 

Your average tourist or expat will generally not be asked to put on a mask anymore as they won't be visiting such settings, but in some instances, it could still be a thing for certain groups of locals and foreigners. 

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Next we'll be branded on our forehead

Yes, that is prophesied, so that's no real surprise.  How soon is the question.  Now being "Innovative" that's the real laugh.

Keep it Safe...🤣

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

no stories from me mate, just unaltered facts!

this was clearly an april fools joke from the start..

'a ministry spokesman' was the dead giveaway.. mr. no name, how convenient.

bob.

Actually I was online looking at flights to Siem Reap....555

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

, Maybe enter them into the Guiness Book of world records for stupidity 

I think the book only recognizes records that can be broken by anyone, which in this case is impossible

49 minutes ago, Goat said:

Happy April Fools Day mate.

We got you a beauty didnt we?

I did try hinting at it calling you a fool, mentioned the date, the midday bulletein, hook line sinker, to check your news source etc etc

It all went straight over your head.

I hope you can have a good laugh at yourself now. 

Because we all were. 

Cheers

You acting like you always do had me thinking like we always do. Things like this are a touchy subject to many farangs here, so we take it personally when this kind of thing might happen. I know it's April 1st, as I played with my family this way, but when someone isn't believable, that's how you're thinking lies. ha ha

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Should not pick on particular groups of people. A mask wearing rule should be applied to all people in specified high risk situations. Public transport, attendees at events where large groups congregate in enclosed situations. Those who have a specified health condition (which is what Thais typically did voluntarily before Covid - if sick they would choose to wear a mask to protect others - credit to them)

My approach/attitude is based on personal experience of the effectiveness of masks in stopping the spread of bacterial infections. I have a lung condition called bronchiectasis (not the same as bronchitis). Sufferers are prone to pick up bacterial infections quite regularly and some of those can turn nasty. Prior to covid I would catch an infection that was unpleasant roughly 3 to 5 times a year and one of those typically would put me in hospital with a bad flu, pneumonia or worse every year.
With the advent of covid I was a supporter of the Thai masking rules and wore them whenever outside. During (and since) covid I have had only one bacterial infection to speak of and that was easily cleared by standard antibiotics having not developed into the likes of flu/pneumonia. I am convinced that mask wearing has a significant effect on the reduction of serious bacterial infections (you will note that I cannot extend that determination to viral infections as I still get an occasional cold or runny nose).   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Citing concerns about the potential for foreign visitors to introduce new illnesses

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Locals, with their presumed stronger resistance to regional ailments, will be exempt.

Hmmmm

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Heard you the first boring time thanks.

My mistake. I thought the post had not worked the first time and pressed submit again. Haven't posted on this forum since ThaiVisa days.

I guess you find all posts that do not accord with your own view as boring. 

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

How odd.....I mentioned it twice (not the war)....and both comments have disappeared.....how strange.

All mine as well, I've been trawling through gullible answers and posts to find them to no avail.

• Like 2

Santisuk, I have exactly the same long-term illness as you, and I appreciate the benefits of wearing a mask.  I live in Laos and people can make their own decision as to wear or not wear a mask. I always wear a mask when entering shops or close to others and my health benefits from it.

I visited Bangkok last week for a few days and I see perhaps more than 50% of Thais wearing a face mask.  I say 'Good on them' for considering the health of others and minimising the risk of spreading bacteria etc).  As for the 'I hate face-nappy' brigade, I don't want to waste a moment in my life listening to the rubbish spouted by them..........

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Why be mean to some taken in by this story ? To trick is what it was designed to do. It looked quite plausible.

Cheer up - you should be worrying instead that Harry Kane, under an ancient German Law that rules if you play in the German league, you have to play for the German National side. It's very well done https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/01/germany-invoke-rule-stop-harry-kane-playing-england-euros/

Myself I think Harry's efforts will be much missed . . .

• Haha 1