The Best Burger in Bangkok

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm in Houston at the moment. I have to try Whataburger. Have you.

I love Whataburger.  It may be an acquired taste because they use mustard, which is kinda rare in fast food burgers.  That may put some folks off, but not me.  Of course, they'll make it to order.

My recommendation:  Double meat Whataburger with cheese.  Standard toppings (lettuce, pickle, mustard and onion).  Their fries are also great and their ketchup has a hint of cinnamon or something exotic.

For breakfast, get a breakfast taco, sausage or bacon.  With cheese.

I also love them because they serve brewed ice tea instead of the instant crap out of the machine.  Downside is they're sometimes a little slow (I like to think it's because they don't pre-make the burgers.)

Let me know how you liked it.

Edit:  And I'd add that it's hit or miss, but some of their counter staff are a hoot.  Catch them on a good day and they'll make you feel like you're part of a family busting each others' balls.  In a good way.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/2/2024 at 12:28 PM, In Full Agreement said:

In my mind  nothings compares to the In&Out Burger but it's highly unlikely they'll ever come to Thailand. In and out is owned by the billionaire daughter of the the company founder and she's been very reluctant to expand the chain's footprint.

In & out branding would get diluted with foreign country franchises. Part of what makes it special is the pure american ordering and customer service vibe that can't be learned by foreign employees no matter how well you train them.

Edited by JimTripper

On 4/2/2024 at 6:48 PM, KhunLA said:

Yea, Yanks don't, or didn't 24 yrs ago, put an egg on a burger, and I've never seen it even offered, anywhere in USA.  I still would never, and I thought it was an Aussie thing.

So right, so soo right! FatBurger was one facet of LA in its twilight glory (in the 70s, say about half a century ago...) Wolfing down one with everything piled up high (including one EGG over easy, the cook makes sure the yolk still runny) before going up La Cienega and hunkering down inside Tower Records on Sunset on a Friday night. A whole enchilada of SoCal experience to be had for the cost of one FatBurger, as my salary of part-time pumping gas in UCLA/Westwood Village could only afford that much fun to be had. 

Last time I check California was already part of the United States during that era. I guess your "KhunLA" moniker is a misnomer, and I meant that DIS-respectfully.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking at the picture above I find it amazing that you think that is the best burger in town.

But then, maybe that is American taste...

This one is much better, and only 5min away from Nana. But I won't tell you where it is. 😉

image.jpeg.6406ba2cf45df02fea0f7c894252d34f.jpeg

90% bun, maybe 10% meat and what looks like thousand island which is an abomination and should not be allowed anywhere near a burger. No thanks.

Agree with the poster that Nana burgers are great but that's because they get eaten at 2am when you're drunk. Has anyone ever had a sober Nana burger? And if so how does it rate?

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Op.. As you are a 'serious expert on burgers of all variations'.... 

I'd recommend you give 'Easy Burger' a try....    Opposite Cheap Charlies at On Nut (Sukhumvit 50).

(I think they just opened a new Branch in Phrom Pong too)

IMO - thats the best burger I've had in Bangkok. 

The next best Burger I've had is in Japan. 

I used to like Easy Burger but now find them greasy with - somehow - a greasy bun. Tasty though.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

I love Whataburger.  It may be an acquired taste because they use mustard, which is kinda rare in fast food burgers.  That may put some folks off, but not me.  Of course, they'll make it to order.

My recommendation:  Double meat Whataburger with cheese.  Standard toppings (lettuce, pickle, mustard and onion).  Their fries are also great and their ketchup has a hint of cinnamon or something exotic.

For breakfast, get a breakfast taco, sausage or bacon.  With cheese.

I also love them because they serve brewed ice tea instead of the instant crap out of the machine.  Downside is they're sometimes a little slow (I like to think it's because they don't pre-make the burgers.)

Let me know how you liked it.

Edit:  And I'd add that it's hit or miss, but some of their counter staff are a hoot.  Catch them on a good day and they'll make you feel like you're part of a family busting each others' balls.  In a good way.

Just had the double with cheese. Daughter had the single. She hates mustard but ate it no problem. Good huge burger should have the single. You're right it was super good. Price was good also $22. For both.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

90% bun, maybe 10% meat and what looks like thousand island which is an abomination and should not be allowed anywhere near a burger. No thanks.

Agree with the poster that Nana burgers are great but that's because they get eaten at 2am when you're drunk. Has anyone ever had a sober Nana burger? And if so how does it rate?

I don't drink, so every time I eat one I'm sober. However, I I'm usually pretty well stoned out, so I probably could eat four of them.

I know that Burgers bring out ego need Wars, like from the Joker above talking about howhe had to go to LA 20 years ago just to get a check and people didn't put eggs on burgers, which of course is a lie. But he gave him the chance to talk about himself. Let some of that hot air out.

I enjoy nama burgers and invite anyone to try. I saw something on Instagram the other day called in Oklahoma Smashburger which is like the ones in nana. It's basically grilled on sweet onions. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, it is what it is said:

coming from a farming community back home where butchers use locally produced meat i wouldn't go near a burger in bangkok.

Well aren't you the impressive one. So cool and classy. How are the chickens and pork and vegetables compared to your exclusive locally produced food

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, alien365 said:

As a burger expert in Thailand you should try Nakorn Mu burgers. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/C3Njh5WAabMM3xoF6

When I see a new beer, I buy it, just so I know what it's like. I assume it's the same for you and burgers. 

Actually had a burger out there when I was forced to go to that tourist trap and it was okay. Overpriced but okay

9 hours ago, watthong said:

So right, so soo right! FatBurger was one facet of LA in its twilight glory (in the 70s, say about half a century ago...) Wolfing down one with everything piled up high (including one EGG over easy, the cook makes sure the yolk still runny) before going up La Cienega and hunkering down inside Tower Records on Sunset on a Friday night. A whole enchilada of SoCal experience to be had for the cost of one FatBurger, as my salary of part-time pumping gas in UCLA/Westwood Village could only afford that much fun to be had. 

Last time I check California was already part of the United States during that era. I guess your "KhunLA" moniker is a misnomer, and I meant that DIS-respectfully.

Reading comprehension: 

On 4/2/2024 at 6:48 PM, KhunLA said:

Yea, Yanks don't, or didn't 24 yrs ago, put an egg on a burger, and I've never seen it even offered, anywhere in USA.  I still would never, and I thought it was an Aussie thing.

I can not confirm nor deny, if eggs served on burgers in Calif, as never went to burger shop in CA.  Never offered at vendors I visited, in Philly or east coast.   And Philly is a sandwich, steaks & Hoagies.

When at CA, I dined on seafood & Mexican.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 11:33 AM, Yagoda said:

Im from the USA and am therefore an expert on burgers of all variations.

You never know. Maybe the burger comes from Germany.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

It's a burger, you dingdong. You must have a weird gender pronoun....

Oh, so that is what you are used too, OK..............😝

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just had the double with cheese. Daughter had the single. She hates mustard but ate it no problem. Good huge burger should have the single. You're right it was super good. Price was good also $22. For both.

Glad you enjoyed it.

If you get a chance, try the breakfast taco (actually a burrito). Starts with scrambled egg wrapped in a soft tortilla. Then you can add bacon, sausage, potato or chorizo.  Adding cheese makes everything better...

My ethnic friends swear by the chorizo,  but I looked that up once and I stick with the sausage when I'm on a meat kick or potato when I'm not. I swore off bacon after my bypass surgery.  They come with picante sauce on the side, and I opt for the wimpy mild sauce.  A braver person would choose the spicy.

Worth a try for breakfast...  

On a more Thailand based topic, can you get a breakfast burrito in Bangkok? The closest I found was the chicken Caesar wrap at Starbucks and Amazon.  But no egg... Back in South Texas there were roach coaches that did a booming business selling nothing but breakfast burritos from the parking lot. They'd pre-wrap dozens (hundreds?) of them in the wee hours and sell out by 10:00 am. I'd bet there's a market niche in BKK.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

You never know. Maybe the burger comes from Germany.

Not particularly good ones, although I had one in Darmstadt last year that was OK, yet expensive. German burgers look good though and are carefully arranged.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Glad you enjoyed it.

If you get a chance, try the breakfast taco (actually a burrito). Starts with scrambled egg wrapped in a soft tortilla. Then you can add bacon, sausage, potato or chorizo.  Adding cheese makes everything better...

My ethnic friends swear by the chorizo,  but I looked that up once and I stick with the sausage when I'm on a meat kick or potato when I'm not. I swore off bacon after my bypass surgery.  They come with picante sauce on the side, and I opt for the wimpy mild sauce.  A braver person would choose the spicy.

Worth a try for breakfast...  

On a more Thailand based topic, can you get a breakfast burrito in Bangkok? The closest I found was the chicken Caesar wrap at Starbucks and Amazon.  But no egg... Back in South Texas there were roach coaches that did a booming business selling nothing but breakfast burritos from the parking lot. They'd pre-wrap dozens (hundreds?) of them in the wee hours and sell out by 10:00 am. I'd bet there's a market niche in BKK.

Two best breakfast Burritos I have ever had: Bennys Tacos and Chicken near LAX and Taco Mich on Camelback and 27th in Phoenix AZ, I would CCW at that place at night though.

The only edible breakfast burrito I have had in Bangkok is at Margarita Storm on Suk Soi 13. Its OK.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

In & out branding would get diluted with foreign country franchises. Part of what makes it special is the pure american ordering and customer service vibe that can't be learned by foreign employees no matter how well you train them.

IN & OUT is one of those special coompanies that treats it's employees well.    There was no need for a mandate to increase minimum wages as In and Out  just as Costco were already paying their employees well.

I've never seen a grumpy In & Out employee.

7 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Two best breakfast Burritos I have ever had: Bennys Tacos and Chicken near LAX and Taco Mich on Camelback and 27th in Phoenix AZ, I would CCW at that place at night though.

The only edible breakfast burrito I have had in Bangkok is at Margarita Storm on Suk Soi 13. Its OK.

So, first you are from the US and an expert on burgers just because that. After you remember different places where you eat other food and where they are best. Do you write it down in a book?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

And now for something completely different. We can debate whether it is a burger or not, but I found this Pad Krapow burger very tasty.

Astro Burger Silom road, Thaniya walking street

IMG_0889.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2024 at 7:30 AM, KhunLA said:

Reading comprehension: 

I can not confirm nor deny, if eggs served on burgers in Calif, as never went to burger shop in CA.  Never offered at vendors I visited, in Philly or east coast.   And Philly is a sandwich, steaks & Hoagies.

When at CA, I dined on seafood & Mexican.

Never in New England, NYC, or DC-MD-VA, places I lived in the 60's, 70's, and 80's   Same for Chicago and Dallas where I lived in the 90's.

• Agree 1

On 4/8/2024 at 11:40 AM, Yagoda said:

Not particularly good ones, although I had one in Darmstadt last year that was OK, yet expensive. German burgers look good though and are carefully arranged.

Ding-dong, think of the word "hamburger",  now where is a city that sounds like that, hmmmm?    Need a further hint, a little known band got their start there.    They are called frikadellan in that country and they are wonderful too.

Edited by tjintx

On 4/8/2024 at 6:44 AM, Yagoda said:

I don't drink, so every time I eat one I'm sober. However, I I'm usually pretty well stoned out, so I probably could eat four of them.

I know that Burgers bring out ego need Wars, like from the Joker above talking about howhe had to go to LA 20 years ago just to get a check and people didn't put eggs on burgers, which of course is a lie. But he gave him the chance to talk about himself. Let some of that hot air out.

I enjoy nama burgers and invite anyone to try. I saw something on Instagram the other day called in Oklahoma Smashburger which is like the ones in nana. It's basically grilled on sweet onions. 

You should drink, likely you'd become a more pleasant person (what I wanted to say was "less of a discus.")

Edited by tjintx

I'm from the US, grew up in Los Angeles, and I have lived and or worked in California, Nevada, Montana, Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Texas, Kanas, Missouri, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennesse, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, DC, Delaware, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Wisconsin, Illinois and New York. 

I have never had an egg on a burger, nor have I ever seen it offered. 

I think the best chain/fast food burgers in the US are In & Out, Five Guys. I also like Steak and Shake for the paddy melt and shakes, but that's more a diner.

I've not had any really good burgers in Thailand. Burger-Bro, Sizzler and most of the hotels are okay. I'll try the Nana burger posted by the OP next time I'm in the area. The Burger Kings are popping up all over and they aren't bad, and Carl's in the Holiday Inn soi 22 was okay, but I think it's gone now. I pretty much avoid beef in Thailand because I am most always disappointed.

I don't think McDonald's is bad in a pinch, and I am always amused when people say they are "the worst in Thailand". Saying McDonnald's is the worst burger in Thailand is like saying Starbucks is the worst coffee in Thailand. People that say that are either lying, delusional, or they have had extremely limited exposure to burgers and coffee in Thailand, because there is some absolute gag-a-maggot rubbish here, and McD's and Starbucks are not that. 

What I hate about burgers in Thailand generally, is that the patties are most always fat, but of a significantly smaller diameter than the rather small diameter bun. The meat should pressed thin enough such that after cooking it's reasonably flat, and larger than the bun, not a greasy ball that soaks the bun and falls apart when you eat it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, STALINGRAD said:

Shake Shack…doesn’t matter if your  at 53rd and 7 th Ave or  Centralworld same quality,same taste.

Across from Cheesecake factory, I've been meaning to get in there to try them, my wife loves shakes...

7 hours ago, tjintx said:

You should drink, likely you'd become a more pleasant person (what I wanted to say was "less of a discus.")

That's what your mama said but she decided just to take me as I was.