Governor warns of fuel station scams this Songkran

image.jpeg

To safeguard consumers against potential exploitation during the upcoming Songkran festivities, Prachuap Khiri Khan’s provincial authorities have unleashed a new campaign. Led by Deputy Governor Komkrit Charoenpatanasombat, the crackdown aims to ensure fair pricing at fuel stations across the province.

Accompanied by a team of officials including Siriwan Kanasorn, Nopadol Suwongpradit, and Chanthip Niamprad, inspections were conducted yesterday, to prevent any nefarious practices that could leave motorists out of pocket.

The focal point of these inspections was the accuracy of fuel metering devices, ensuring adherence to national standards. Utilising a 5-litre standard measuring container as a benchmark, officials verified that the fuel dispensed matched the advertised quantity within legal tolerances, with all stations found to be compliant.

To bolster consumer rights and market fairness, officials issued a stern reminder. Any instances of misconduct such as overpricing or discrepancies between advertised and actual prices must be promptly reported.

Consumers are urged to utilise the Department of Internal Trade’s 24-hour hotline at 1569 or file complaints at any provincial commercial office, reported Hua Hin Today.

Prachuap Khiri Khan’s local government isn’t pulling any punches against offenders. Penalties for violations range from fines up to 10,000 baht for failing to display price tags, to imprisonment for up to seven years coupled with fines reaching 140,000 baht for severe offences like overcharging, hoarding, or refusal to sell.

In related news, the Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB) stated that a potential increase in domestic diesel prices, which could surpass 30 baht a litre following the termination of the Oil Fuel Fund subsidy scheme on March 31, is unlikely to prompt manufacturers to raise the prices of their goods.

In other news, Tri Petch Isuzu, Thailand’s Isuzu vehicle distributor, is joining forces with PTT Plc to test vehicles powered by a novel clean fuel. This initiative is aimed at supporting efforts to reduce the high carbon dioxide emissions from Thailand’s transport sector.

by Mitch Connor 

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-05

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

52 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The local scam here that I have often seen is when tying to fill up with 91 octane petrol.

Mai mee says the attendant. 95 only. :sad:

The small village pumps don't have 91 anymore.

Interestingly the wise government decided to subsidize 91 to make a significant price difference which was marginal for many years. As 91 is good enough for scooters, lawn mowers etc. this might well lead to a shortage.

Overall the price difference was about 0.25 and now that:

image.png.d1005b9861c29241a5b3a73b8623a317.png

The prices show the reverse side of the good exchange rates (weak THB) combined with rising oil prices. 95 now at about 1 EUR.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As 91 is good enough for scooters, lawn mowers etc. this might well lead to a shortage.

I also used to put 91 in my old Suzuki jeep (had it for over 20 year) as well as the wife's Mitsubishi Mirage. I ran that one for about 12 years. Only just sold it and it is still going strong.

As an aside, I think that petrol prices on Koh Samui are higher than those posted there.

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

As an aside, I think that petrol prices on Koh Samui are higher than those posted there.

The prices posted are the "starting" prices that you find (close to) on the eastern seaboard (Pattaya, Rayong etc.) and Bangkok.

The further away the more is added. We pay about 0.5 Baht more.

AND: from my Samui visit during COVID time I know that there must be a much higher "Island" surcharge.

Up here in rural Kamphaeng Phet, in the 'big' village 6 km away, diesel is 30.45 baht and we are about 350 km from Bangkok.

I only buy 95 gasoline for my weed whacker in 200 baht lots.

I will look tomorrow if I remember, and if I go into the village.