Extended Songkran Festival Set to Boost Tourism Revenue

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand is gearing up for an extended three-week Songkran festival this year, expected to significantly boost the country's tourism sector, with projected revenues reaching into the tens of billions of baht.

How do you mean we are running out of water ................LOL

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is gearing up for an extended three-week Songkran festival this year, expected to significantly boost the country's tourism sector, with projected revenues reaching into the tens of billions of baht.

Expected, projected.... blah blah blah.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

utter nonsense, what tourists, do they mean Thais who cannot afford to party for a week, this just sounds like desperation 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, real Songkran, where they sprinkle water on mother and father as well as elderly persons to show respect and honor. That is a lovely tradition, but the thing it turned into is just a madhouse for irresponsible power drinkers.

When the countries broke tradition goes out of the window...

• Like 1

Wonder how many people will die or be disabled for the rest of their life in the extra Songkhran days.
Luckely, these extra days will bring more tourists money for the care of these people.
What a <deleted> up country .....

This afternoon I hosed down my first geezer of the season.

I carry a geezer gun on my scooter and when I see a particularly dour looking gent he gets it in the loins so that it looks like he's incontinent.

You've got to soak them before they leave town. 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Wonder how many people will die or be disabled for the rest of their life in the extra Songkhran days.
Luckely, these extra days will bring more tourists money for the care of these people.

I saw 2 accidents on my way to breakfast today.

A lady on Thappraya (sp?) Road was conscious and being loaded into an ambulance. 

The second was a young lady on 3rd Road and Lengkee. I don't think she was alive. No helmet and it looked like she was sound asleep on the pavement with a very peaceful expression on her face. Two Thai men were holding a bamboo sun shade up to shield her from the rays and a cop was just getting on his motorbike.  It looked like a collision between a big bike and a scooter.  At home I would have rendered assistance, but here I have no idea what the protocols are and how to instruct ABVs to assist. 

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, real Songkran, where they sprinkle water on mother and father as well as elderly persons to show respect and honor. That is a lovely tradition, but the thing it turned into is just a madhouse for irresponsible power drinkers.

You must be a newbie.

It's been a mad house in pattaya for 27 years that I know of.

and I'm sure,  a lot longer. :coffee1:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, connda said:

Even the tourists will get bored within a week.  This will be a wash-out, but those tourist who do book a extended trip with the intent of coming to Northern Thailand for a 3 week Songkran?  After sucking "killer air" for three weeks and enjoying the wonders of a brown-hazed sky where there are usually mountains - they'll never come back this time of year, and they'll tell all their friends as well. 

Be careful what you wish for.

Exactly.  

2 hours ago, quake said:

You must be a newbie.

During Songkhran in 2004 in Korat, I was walking with my wife and my daughter at the park in Yamoo when a woman and her disabled son (a Siamese) approached us and asked if her son could wish my daughter "Happy Songkhran (Sawasdee Songkhran)".
I replied "Yes" and the boy took a bottle of water and sprayed a little bit of water on the wrists of my daughter and put a little bit of parfumed powder on her cheeks.
I asked my daughter to do the same to the boy, which she did happily.
This was the best Songkhran ever.
Not the splashing buckets of water and ice cubes nor the power guns from today.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Why did Aerosmith Dream On start playing in my head when I read that? 😉 

7 hours ago, Confuscious said:

same as any other day, an increase in road accidents and road deaths/injuries during songkran is not not statistically proven.

7 hours ago, Confuscious said:

During Songkhran in 2004 in Korat, I was walking with my wife and my daughter at the park in Yamoo when a woman and her disabled son (a Siamese) approached us and asked if her son could wish my daughter "Happy Songkhran (Sawasdee Songkhran)".
I replied "Yes" and the boy took a bottle of water and sprayed a little bit of water on the wrists of my daughter and put a little bit of parfumed powder on her cheeks.
I asked my daughter to do the same to the boy, which she did happily.
This was the best Songkhran ever.
Not the splashing buckets of water and ice cubes nor the power guns from today.

Yes. and that's still the case in many, many parts of Thailand.

But beach road pattaya, same today as it was 27 years ago.

and the water guns were more powerful home made ones back then.

Yet more grubby rubbing together of hands in anticipation of baht. 

But apart from increasing sales of cheap water pistols, and silly thin cotton clothes, is it really a big money spinner?

Seems like a celebration of elevated numbers of deaths on the roads. 

10 hours ago, quake said:

You must be a newbie.

Ooops! seems like you are not aware of much. I have been living in Thailand over 25 years by now.

Have been single, partying around but now married and have 2 children.

I never talked about how many years it is since it turned into a madhouse, and that is no excuse for destroying a fine, beautiful and respectful tradition.

It´s still just overgrown children, that never woke from the teenage binge drinking phase that indulge in such mad activities. But, on the other hand, maybe you are one of them.

Also, more about newbie. Do you have a clue about what the biggest newbie in Thailand is among foreigners coming here? It´s the ones that directly take to the bars, hanging out with hookers. After that find their friends in worn out expat wannabees that sits at the same bar year after year, drinking the same amount of beer and listening to the same music every day of their sorry life. Most of them, end up in Pattaya. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ooops! seems like you are not aware of much. I have been living in Thailand over 25 years by now.

Have been single, partying around but now married and have 2 children.

I never talked about how many years it is since it turned into a madhouse, and that is no excuse for destroying a fine, beautiful and respectful tradition.

It´s still just overgrown children, that never woke from the teenage binge drinking phase that indulge in such mad activities. But, on the other hand, maybe you are one of them.

Also, more about newbie. Do you have a clue about what the biggest newbie in Thailand is among foreigners coming here? It´s the ones that directly take to the bars, hanging out with hookers. After that find their friends in worn out expat wannabees that sits at the same bar year after year, drinking the same amount of beer and listening to the same music every day of their sorry life. Most of them, end up in Pattaya. 

What a joker you are.

victor.JPG

Edited by quake

12 minutes ago, quake said:

What a joker you are.

victor.JPG

Might that be an answer from Pattaya? When are you seeing your friends at the same round table as yesterday? The Knights of the Many Beers, right?

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Might that be an answer from Pattaya? When are you seeing your friends at the same round table as yesterday? The Knights of the Many Beers, right?

Mate, you stop drinking pints of piss and vinegar in the morning.

Try tea or  coffee.

your feel much better.

Edited by quake
  • Haha 1