Non-O retirement Visa renewal

Hello

I am a British National and have a Non-O Retirement Visa which is due to expire on the 23rd April of this year. 

I applied a couple of weeks ago at Thai immigration in Chaeng Watthana for a renewal  but was told that my request for renewal had been declined. 

I originally used an agent that opened a Bangkok Bank savings account for me, obtained the 90 day Non-O retirement visa and the 12 month extension on the same day (23 April 2023).  

I was not happy to use an agent but was finding it impossible to open up a bank account on my tourist visa 🤷‍♂️ and a friend recommended this guy.  

The immigration official declined to renew citing the fact that the opening deposit in my passbook showed an 800,000 THB deposit on 23 April 2023 immediately (within seconds)  being withdrawn. This was not my money of course it was the agents.

However the IO  should not have issued the original visa in the first place since the 2 month 800,000 THB deposit  rule was not followed, so clearly there is corruption going on but that is not news to anyone 🤷‍♂️

I assumed that for renewal purposes they would only look at the 800,000THB requirement starting 2 months before the renewal date and not look at the original 800000THB deposit. Clearly wrong there 🤷‍♂️

I am having to reluctantly go back to my agent now on the sarcastic advice of the immigration officer 😒 to facilitate the renewal. 

But before I do I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1) I have had a balance of over 1,000,000 THB in my account since 4 Jan 2024 and intend for this to remain so for the foreseeable future. My question is will the fact of the 800,000 THB “issue” be a problem for me on subsequent renewals? 

2) When I go back home to the UK is it better to return on a tourist visa and start the whole process again since I will have Thai bank account already open and already have an apartment here? 

Many thanks 😊

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

My gut feeling is that the IO knows full well how the system via an agent works.  As there are perceived back handers, perhaps the IO does not want this to stop? 

I agree with another post, apply for a non O visa back in your home country and follow up with the Retirement side of it on your return. 

Maybe via a different office. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your mistake was to use the agent to obtain the Non O based on retirement. 

You just needed to him to open bank account (approx 5k) 

You can either use agent to obtain 12 month extension and ongoing extensions together with reentry permit.  OR 

Kill off you non O and when next returning to Thailand start process over.

As pointed out you can obtain the Non O in the UK or simply  enter Thailand visa exempt or tourist visa and obtain the Non O at Thai immigration. 

You have the bank account so just meet the Financials and no need for agent. 

If he gets the visa in the UK, won't that be an "OA" with the onerous health insurance requirement?  Seems best to go to Laos and apply for an "O" visa.

With regard to Dr Jack54 comment are you saying that there is no way I can successfully renew my retirement visa on my own without going through the agent. Notwithstanding the alternative of starting the process in the UK? 

5 minutes ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

With regard to Dr Jack54 comment are you saying that there is no way I can successfully renew my retirement visa on my own without going through the agent. Notwithstanding the alternative of starting the process in the UK? 

What is your current situation. 

Did the agent also obtain you a 12 month extension? 

It's NOT "renew my retirement visa" 

No such thing.

Seems that the agent opened bank account and obtained a Non O.

That would give you a 90 day stamp.

Then you tried to obtain the 12 month extension yourself and were rejected by immigration as your bank book did not reflect correct financial requirements.  

Ok the agent opened my bank account as well as getting the Non-O 90 day visa and then the 12 month retirement extension all on the same date (23 April 2023)

I then tried to renew myself last week and experienced the issues I have alluded to in my original post. 

Since time is running out I feel I must go with this guy again to renew this time around but did not want to use him going forward. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

I assumed that for renewal purposes they would only look at the 800,000THB requirement starting 2 months before the renewal date

To do an annual extension renewal as in your case for the second time the 800,000THB needs to have been there all year (except for 5-6 months when it can fall back to 400,000THB). You said you only had 800,000 since 4-Jan this year and nothing before that if I read you correctly.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

How do I reply to a specific post on here. Sorry but I am a newbie🤷‍♂️

Go to the post you want to reply to. Click on "quote" at the bottom left of the post. That post will appear in a "quotes box" and you can type your reply below it.

Edited by chickenslegs
clarity
  • Agree 1

Just a note on my experience with Immo/Bangkok.

In the 50 years I have been doing extensions at this office, I have never been approached or coached to use an agent to get around the standard requirements for an extnension of the permit to stay.

I would like to see any member of this Forum to present a first-hand report of bribing an officer at Immo Division 1 in order to get around the financial (or other) requirements for an extension of stay.

Waiting...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

Ok the agent opened my bank account as well as getting the Non-O 90 day visa and then the 12 month retirement extension all on the same date (23 April 2023)

I then tried to renew myself last week and experienced the issues I have alluded to in my original post. 

Since time is running out I feel I must go with this guy again to renew this time around but did not want to use him going forward. 

OK so finally understand your situation.

You need to have same agent obtain next 12 month extension.  

Ask agent where he obtained the Non O and 12 month extension.

How many days left on current permission of stay. 

You may not have enough time.

Where is agent located 

30 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Go to the post you want to reply to. Click on "quote" at the bottom left of the post. That post will appear in a "quotes box" and you can type your reply below it.

Ok got it thanks a lot

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OK so finally understand your situation.

You need to have same agent obtain next 12 month extension.  

Ask agent where he obtained the Non O and 12 month extension.

How many days left on current permission of stay. 

You may not have enough time.

Where is agent located 

I have arranged for him to extend it with me on the 18th April 2024 at CW

He lives in Bangkok and he obtained the original visa with me at CW

My visa expires on the 23rd April 2024 😩

My real issue is will I be able to renew myself in subsequent years. I will have a new passbook by then so hopefully will not be obvious about the original 800,000 issue 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

My real issue is will I be able to renew myself in subsequent years. I will have a new passbook by then so hopefully will not be obvious about the original 800,000 issue 🤷‍♂️

I have had immigration officer look at my bank book one month prior to previous extension.

Very unusual that your agent is obtaining 12 month extension at CW. 

Did you meet the financial requirements over the previous 12 months? 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I have had immigration officer look at my bank book one month prior to previous extension.

Very unusual that your agent is obtaining 12 month extension at CW. 

Did you meet the financial requirements over the previous 12 months? 

No as I said earlier this was my first renewal and the original 12 month extension to the original 90 day non-o visa  was issued on the same day as his 800,000 deposit into my newly opened account. So officially the visa should not have been issued in the first place since the 2 month 800,000THB before application rule was not adhered to 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

No as I said earlier this was my first renewal and the original 12 month extension to the original 90 day non-o visa  was issued on the same day as his 800,000 deposit into my newly opened account. So officially the visa should not have been issued in the first place since the 2 month 800,000THB before application rule was not adhered to 🤷‍♂️

If you have any intention to go back to the UK any time soon then just get a non-O there, come back and extend.  If not you will have to use your agent again.  But if you do that next time you should be OK to do it by yourself provided you keep the money in the bank for 12 months (or actually 800-400-800).  

5 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

If you have any intention to go back to the UK any time soon then just get a non-O there, come back and extend.  If not you will have to use your agent again.  But if you do that next time you should be OK to do it by yourself provided you keep the money in the bank for 12 months (or actually 800-400-800).  

Thanks for that. I will use the agent this time around and attempt to do it myself next time 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

If you want to renew now, you will have to use the agent again. Best option, visit another nearby country and let your current visa/extension lapse. Reenter Thailand visa exempt, go direct to immigration and apply for Non-O retirement and then do extension properly. That's what I did. You now qualify - just make sure that you have the FIT incoming document for at least 800,000k Baht from overseas from your Thai bank. You do not have to go back to the UK.

Edited by soi3eddie

20 hours ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

I have never entrusted this to an agent for the reasons you have clearly demonstrated, plus it's an unnecessary cost, it's easy enough to do on your own. Anyone who says you can't do this on your own doesn't know what they're talking about. I've been doing it for eight years. Thousands of people do it on their own. You search out the requirements online, download necessary forms from the immigration website. If there are any errors you can just come back the next day and correct them. You can make an appointment online 3-4 weeks in advance. Rather than keeping a small fortune uselessly parked in a bank just for this purpose, why not use the income method of showing 65,000 baht per month deposited in your bank? Do you not make at least that month? To reiterate what has been said, if you get this in your country it will be the O-A with insurance requirement. If you convert here in Thailand from the tourist visa you get the O. On the other hand, most agents get the job done without any mishaps, and if you're not motivated to do the work there is likely a reliable one somewhere. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I have never entrusted this to an agent for the reasons you have clearly demonstrated, plus it's an unnecessary cost, it's easy enough to do on your own. Anyone who says you can't do this on your own doesn't know what they're talking about. I've been doing it for eight years. Thousands of people do it on their own. You search out the requirements online, download necessary forms from the immigration website. If there are any errors you can just come back the next day and correct them. You can make an appointment online 3-4 weeks in advance. Rather than keeping a small fortune uselessly parked in a bank just for this purpose, why not use the income method of showing 65,000 baht per month deposited in your bank? Do you not make at least that month? To reiterate what has been said, if you get this in your country it will be the O-A with insurance requirement. If you convert here in Thailand from the tourist visa you get the O. On the other hand, most agents get the job done without any mishaps, and if you're not motivated to do the work there is likely a reliable one somewhere. 

Did you read the OP?  He already tried to do it but can't as the funds were not maintained for the preceding 12 months.  So he is going to use an agent. Oh, and whilst he could get an O-A in the UK that wouldn't be wise, but he could easily get a single non-O there rather than converting here, then extend.

24 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Thanks for the reply but it’s not as easy as you say if you go to the Thai immigration web site they seem to require very limited documentation as follows in my case:

Completed TM7

Passport 

Fund deposit Certificate from the bank

800/400/800 Balance requirement 

Passbook

There is no mention of the following for instance: 

Copy of TM30

Copy of Lease agreement 

Copy of signed ID card of Lessor if renting

I am sure this list is not exhaustive. 

36 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Well you clearly know the system very well for my sake and the sake of others on here struggling with the problems of the Thai immigration service can you provide a definitive list of what you take to immigration when it’s time to renew your Non-O retirement visa?

many thanks 👍

1 hour ago, Nowaythatsreal said:

Well you clearly know the system very well for my sake and the sake of others on here struggling with the problems of the Thai immigration service can you provide a definitive list of what you take to immigration when it’s time to renew your Non-O retirement visa?

many thanks 👍

My first time I went there and asked for information.