How do call centre scams work

Stevey

Just watching the TV with my girlfriend and she was talking about these CallCenter scams and how they've just been doing a new operation called "purge". She's saying that the reason why people don't pick up their phone to a new number they don't recognise it's because they believe that just by picking the number up they can have all their information stolen and have all the money taken out of their bank account. I can't believe this. I then enlightened her on the thing that happens in Falangland in that people get called up by Indian call centres and are pumped for their information by hoodwinking them into believing they are a real bank and that's how they take their money or that they access their computer remotely with the program. I then say but this isn't everybody. It's generally people who are naive or just plain stupid. Then she let me into a bit of a secret she had in that, she had answered and actually been scammed herself and lost money. From the looks of it this is in the last couple of years while l've been with her.

So my question to my beloved members so I can educate my girlfriend how are these scammers actually getting hold of their victims money? she talked about it's about ID card numbers addresses et cetera.

It's highly unlikely - meaning virtually impossible - for a phone to get "hacked" simply by taking a phone call.

What is much more likely to happen is that the scammer will "socially engineer" a hack by convincing the recipient of the phone call to either download malware, visit a fake website, or give out sensitive information (passwords, account numbers, ID numbers, etc.) that the scammer can use to his advantage.

If your girlfriend was indeed scammed out of money, it's highly probable that she was unwittingly coerced into it as described above. 

(Many people who do get scammed by revealing information over the phone to con men are so embarrassed by what happened that they will omit key details to save face.)  

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

Great answer. The problem is Thai people will not answer the phone because they think answering the phone can let a hacker in. The government should make a campaign saying what to do and what not to do because it’s stupid just everybody thinking they can’t answer the phone to anybody because it may be the call centre, for 4ucks sake it could be me on the phone !!

but also, how are people losing money by people knowing their ID card number or address? I don’t understand this.

22 hours ago, Stevey said:

but also, how are people losing money by people knowing their ID card number or address? I don’t understand this.

They don't, they only lose money by giving access to their banking apps, usually through an app that the scammer tells the victim to download or link to, or by physically transferring the money themselves after being duped into doing so by the scammers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Here is a good take on it from a commenter on Reddit, where I posted the question originally but it was not published immediately so I came here to TV where I am loved and knew I would get many answers. Well one answer anyway which was great. 

Reddit commenter opinion. 

“I don't think they go this far with foreigners yet, but the Thai scams are actually surprisingly elaborate production when it comes to tricking Thai people.

I'm sure as a foreigner, you are aware of the old "Hey, you hang on to this for me." and it turns out it's something illegal and you ended up in Thai prison schtick. Well, scammers know people are deathly afraid of something like this, so this is their plan:

First, they know everything about you, including your Citizen ID. There's been news about banking official or insurance agents selling clients' data to these people but that's a whole other story.

They will know you order something from Lazada or Shopee. They will say your package is on hold at a center because the police found there's something illegal inside.

Their people will DRESS UP in police uniform, video call you, they know your Citizen ID, your address, and they will threaten you with jail, and demand that you send them money or, latest incarnation, install an app. That app is a backdoor to drain money from your mobile banking account

They target the elderlies, young teenager, and white-collar criminals who has a lot to lose. They are very smart and invested, because each scam they pull give them MILLIONS OF BAHT.

If you want American example, type William Brock, 81, Ohio into Google.

It's in Thai news everyday for a long while. There was also some slight fear mongering. Like the victims (who range from PhD doctors to high ranking politicians to celebrities) would not admit they transferred the money willingly, or download virus app, so they make up stories about how "I just opened an email and the money in banking app was wiped out...." Which is impossible.”

Edited by Stevey
Correct spelling error of ‘ new ‘ to ‘ Knew ‘ because by leaving a spelling mistake ruins a persons credibility, well here anyway.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevey said:

Correct spelling error of ‘ new ‘ to ‘ Knew ‘ because by leaving a spelling mistake ruins a persons credibility, well here anyway.

Darn! Too late for you to change persons to person's. Next time!

Also, there are several ways you could fix the following: "...because by leaving a spelling mistake ruins a..." 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2024 at 1:38 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

Darn! Too late for you to change persons to person's. Next time!

Also, there are several ways you could fix the following: "...because by leaving a spelling mistake ruins a..." 

Ah yes person’s is possessive so my credibility is indeed in tatters, oh well 😄

My step daughter was introduced to a TikTok shop that advertised items that seemed to be good value.

On making a purchase she was offered a fee if she could tell friends about their shop,she received some commissions,and told more friends about the commissions she received.

Now she was asked to send money as items were out of stock and she would get better commissions.

She sent 15000thb,she was then told stock was stuck at customs,need more money to get items cleared by customs.

She foolishly sent another 10000thb,end of scam.

Edited by norbra
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:36 AM, Stevey said:

“I don't think they go this far with foreigners yet, ...

Imagine what they could do if they got a hold of immigration data, say after lodging your annual extension you got a call

This one used call me frequently from a Tonga area code

“Hello this is the customer  service department”

in a heavy Indian accent.

“You have a virus on your computer”

My question to them was what is the name of my internet service provider? They could never even answer that.  

Back in the 90's I was fortunate to work with the most brilliant minds in the PC industry at that time, including the guy the authored the "plug & play" bios code. Unanimously, they said it is impossible for someone to gain access unless you click on an executable file, or you give them information. Opening an email will not do it, but if you click on an unknown link in that email it could launch a code into your computer.  Today, I ignore all unknown call numbers (including the Lazada and Shopee people telling me my package arrived.).

17 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

Back in the 90's I was fortunate to work with the most brilliant minds in the PC industry at that time, including the guy the authored the "plug & play" bios code. Unanimously, they said it is impossible for someone to gain access unless you click on an executable file, or you give them information.

Actually, back then, some mail programs executed code embedded in an email; thus, you could get malware installed by opening an email.

Edited by farang51

On 4/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, norbra said:

My step daughter was introduced to a TikTok shop that advertised items that seemed to be good value.

On making a purchase she was offered a fee if she could tell friends about their shop,she received some commissions,and told more friends about the commissions she received.

Now she was asked to send money as items were out of stock and she would get better commissions.

She sent 15000thb,she was then told stock was stuck at customs,need more money to get items cleared by customs.

She foolishly sent another 10000thb,end of scam.

My Missus who is a total idiot. When I started to talk about this subject with as we watched a Thai news article. Admitted she had fallen for this. I remember her talking about it a couple of years ago but because she crosses the line of truth and fiction so often I don’t believe anything she says and I tell her that to. 

I was explaining how a member  on the group i asked the question on about scams had said that they even go as far as calling you on a video call and impersonating the police. She nodded away like this happened to her. I don’t want to know her story in fear of how much of my money she lost. 😞 

Btw. I’m only with her because that the only way to be with my 6year old stepson that expats always tell me “ just walk away” 

I listened to a couple of scam calls just out of curiosity.

Yesterday it was an older Thai man explaining that I can earn money by just liking specific TikTok reels.  He said he worked for a company that promotes TikTok reels to improve their ranking.  Eventually he'd ask for my bank account number, but I didn't listen to his lies that long.

Last year I had a call saying he was from Flash delivery and my package sent to Chiang Mai had been found to contain drugs.  He said he understood it was probably not my package, but I still needed to speak to the police.  He said he'd connect me to Chiang Mai Police to get more details.  The 'policeman' told me how much trouble I was in and was obviously angling for a bribe which I could conveniently pay on line.

I can see how some people could fall for these scams as the callers in both cases sounded like older Thai men, so the Thai respect for older people may work for the scammers.

Both calls from Thai numbers.  I used to get 2 or 3 a day, but after blocking the numbers following each call it's down to about 1 a week.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I listened to a couple of scam calls just out of curiosity.

Yesterday it was an older Thai man explaining that I can earn money by just liking specific TikTok reels.  He said he worked for a company that promotes TikTok reels to improve their ranking.  Eventually he'd ask for my bank account number, but I didn't listen to his lies that long.

Last year I had a call saying he was from Flash delivery and my package sent to Chiang Mai had been found to contain drugs.  He said he understood it was probably not my package, but I still needed to speak to the police.  He said he'd connect me to Chiang Mai Police to get more details.  The 'policeman' told me how much trouble I was in and was obviously angling for a bribe which I could conveniently pay on line.

I can see how some people could fall for these scams as the callers in both cases sounded like older Thai men, so the Thai respect for older people may work for the scammers.

Both calls from Thai numbers.  I used to get 2 or 3 a day, but after blocking the numbers following each call it's down to about 1 a week.

Great insight 

• Like 1