This heat is brutal and my Electricity bill is also brutal.....

redwood1

I take a jog along 3rd Road at around 2 am. in my boxers.....on the way back I take a dip into the pool at the village...bliss...who needs aircon :cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

They really should give farangs FREE electricity because we are not use to this heat like the Thais are.....

My Mrs and the DiL use the aircon much more than I do.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

12000 btu airconditioner will on average use 1kw per hour . 720 hours in the month will equate to 3600 baht . 

heres the  bill from yesterday, this  also includes a  deep well pump thats  running 4 hours a  day @750w and 27 x7watt leds lights on 12 hours per  night .................surely any cost would depend on the insulation you  have............and mines very VERY well insulated

20240429_104834.jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

Just now, transam said:

No, it was 'im................image.jpeg.62ad557ae117affe8a188a5354d6be70.jpeg😂

How did you manage to get a photo of my dear old grandpappy trans....

always was a miserable looking so and so...felt sorry for granny who was an angel :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Your figures don't take into account the actual amount of heat that the air conditioner must transfer from the room to maintain the selected temperature.  Obviously a well insulated room allows less heat from outside to raise the inside temperature.  Less power is needed to remove less heat.  The "average" consumption needs to be adjusted for different circumstances.

my  point entirely as many houses here have awful windows/doors and often zero insulation + single redbrick or concrete block with no sealing. My house is surrounded by trees  I planted 12  years  ago to mitigate the heat, none of the walls get any sunlight, even the aircon unit itself is mounted high up on the wall to help out of the sun. AAc blocks were too expensive when I built so I went  with this 

IMAG1300.jpg

IMAG1314.jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

We have a well maintained 12000 BTU inverter air conditioner in our bedroom. The room is 16 square meters. It is set to 25°C and runs every night from about 7:00pm to 5:30am. 

Our electric bill in April was 1,186 baht.

If my wife didn't use the well pump to water her longan orchard our bill would have been under 1000 baht.

I'm estimating that May's bill may be a little higher but not by much more than say 200 baht.

What I will say is we live out in the sticks so we pay the standard PEA rate. We don't get ripped off by some unscrupulous condo landlord.

My bills  normally lower than I posted but due to there being NO water in the village this year I have to use my own deepwater  well (2) which has increased my monthly cost.....I water  about 1 acre of garden trees with small sprinklers at the base of each tree (2-300)  so as not to waste  water, its basically drip irrigation as the spray does not spray an area more than 2sq feet......whereas  locals  use sprinklers and reckon most  of it evaporates

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

a whopping 3200 baht......This is my highest electric bill EVER in Thailand

Really! I never have an electric bill under 3200.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This heat wave is costing me a lot of money...

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

a whopping 3200 baht......This is my highest electric bill EVER in Thailand

I tried to not use the air so much but I was sweating like a pig in the condo with the aircon off...

3200 baht for one month of electricity is crazy......I would rather spend that money on more important things like drinking in bars....

They really should give farangs FREE electricity because we are not use to this heat like the Thais are.....

Has anyone else seen a big increase in their electric bill?

My bill is usually Bt.3000.

But, you are correct, and I worry what I will need to pay on May 20th, when they read my meter, once again.

I would go out now and check the meter myself if it were not for the fact that I have developed a meter-phobia, during this year of the El Niño–Southern Oscillation.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I recommend a 12 inch Hatari Fan.....It puts out almost as much air as a 16 or 18 inch fan and uses a lot less electricity.....I have tried them all.....Now I only use 12s....

yet still moan about your electric bill perhaps you should consider using one of these, I believe various sizes are available for the thriftier amongs us

fan.jpg.7def3edb58dfa77d86583736acc4f329.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexxy said:

I have a new Carrier 3 star 18000 BTU aircon which stays on average 16 hours per day in my room. On top of a fridge and a chest freezer my bill was 3060b. In comparison i spent 3000b on dinner / drinks last night. Why is this even a thread?

Yeh, but, you are probably posh........🧐............🤭

• Haha 2

3200 baht for one month of electricity is crazy......I would rather spend that money on more important things like drinking in bars.

Considering that in the UK. in winter, many pensioners have to decide whether to  eat or spend the money on keeping warm enough not to die of hypothermia, forgive my lack of sympathy for the minor  change in your lifestyle.

• Like 1

Just now, Bday Prang said:

Considering that in the UK. in winter, many pensioners have to decide whether to  eat or spend the money on keeping warm enough not to die of hypothermia, forgive my lack of sympathy for the minor  change in your lifestyle.

It was like that when I was a kid, one paraffin heater and my dads great coat on my bed.....

But we made it through.......😉

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

It has been hot, with overnight temperatures higher than normal as well. I am doing fine with just fans. I know in some urban areas or windowless environments air conditioning may be a necessity, but some of you might discover you can make do just fine without air conditioning. Take it easy on the electricity bill and lower your carbon emissions as well. :thumbsup:

Or just buy a punkha and tie the cord around your big toe to operate it. Think of the savings!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I insulated my  house when built using double  block walls with air  gap ( sealed )12  years  ago, ceiling insulation and upvc  windows, its well sealed everywhere, costing 1800 a  month in 40c heat currently, thats on 24-7 set at 26c cooling a  50m2 area, I clean my own aircons regularly and  this is a Daikin 12000btu inverter aircon.

Yep...same situation/specs here, only I live on the top floor and no insulation (Condo), brand Mitsubishi inverter

2 minutes ago, transam said:

It was like that when I was a kid, one paraffin heater and my dads great coat on my bed.....

But we made it through.......😉

Indeed we did, somebody has suggested sitting all day in amazon, not really an option for pensioners in the UK as 30 days in a starbucks even with just one coffee would surely cost around £100 (4500bht)  double that if they indulged themselves with a small cake.  

Some people here either just don't have enough to moan about, or are incapable of realising how lucky they are.

Someone posted on this thread about a monthly bill of 25000 baht, is that even possible for gods sake?   

8 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Go perv out on thai women in local shopping mall. No purchase necessary 

Attempting to purchase one may prove "problematic"   Is the perving obligatory? 

Edited by Bday Prang