Thai Airways Faces Backlash Over Business-Class Seat Fiasco

webfact

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Talking about Thai Airways - It looks as if you were saying they were "better" than on other Thai airways routes. THe truth of the matter is they have a cutlure of poor customer service - Air Asia, the Thai branch suffers from it too.

If something is "better" you need to say how it is batter and who they are.

I mistakenly assumed the comment was fairly self explanatory and didn't think it needed spelling out quite to the degree you expect....   

If you need to know why Thai Airways on the Bangkok-Jakarta routes is better than Garuda, AirAsia and LionAir that is also quite obvious, in much the same manner as its obvious that Emirates and Qatar are better on the Bangkok-Dubai / Doha route than Thai Airways.

So days after the news of offering non-reclinable seats in business class and compensating 5,500 for the ‘inconvenience’ in the 6-hour flight, the airline’s Board of Director has come out to share data which shows that Thai is currently the world’s highest profit margin making airline, as Thai is reportedly charging the highest margin on its ticket sales among all airlines.

This below was posted by Piyasvasti Amranaf who is an independent director of the airline.

IMG_2578.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/30/2024 at 4:33 PM, gargamon said:

Your arrival time will fix the seat not reclining? Wow. I had no idea.

NO ..The arrival time is often relevant when booking your flight.

On 4/30/2024 at 5:20 AM, gargamon said:

Only has himself to blame. Why fly Thai Airways when there's many better airlines to use, EVA for example.

I assume you didn't read where the flight was going...

Or realise that, as a Taiwanese airline, EVA is very restricted on the flights it can make into China. The reason they stop in Bangkok on the flight from London is because, as a Taiwanese airline, they're not even allowed to fly over Chinese airspace (except on flights from Taiwan to China).

On 4/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, RandolphGB said:

Thais are a funny breed. Complain about their flag carrier's appalling service and outright corruption.  But refuse to hire a foreign management team with executive level aviation industry to reform the failing airline. 

Better still... sell the the airline to a group like IAG with license for them to do completely turnaround the airline how they see fit.

I'm British and complain about British airways all the time.

Because their premium economy seats are the same as economy on decent carriers, and their economy seats are designed to make people pay the extra for premium economy.

53 minutes ago, bkk_mike said:

as a Taiwanese airline, they're not even allowed to fly over Chinese airspace (except on flights from Taiwan to China)

Don't they use Chinese airspace on their non-stop flights from Taipei to Munich?

On 5/4/2024 at 12:55 AM, bkk_mike said:

I'm British and complain about British airways all the time.

Because their premium economy seats are the same as economy on decent carriers, and their economy seats are designed to make people pay the extra for premium economy.

The difference is you have no problem with someone of another nationality running the airline. Neither do Emirates or most off the best airlines. 

Thai Air appoints military and police, then they wander why it's an appallingly airline. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:00 AM, connda said:

If this was a farang, the airline would have already filed a defamation case against him.

Your brain is on overdrive, slow down...

5 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

The difference is you have no problem with someone of another nationality running the airline. Neither do Emirates or most off the best airlines. 

Thai Air appoints military and police, then they wander why it's an appallingly airline. 

Not true, many director and snr. operational m'ment positions are filled by civilians. How capable they are and whether nepotism is involved is a different subject. 

Posted (edited)

Sometimes they give the broken video/recline seats to staff travelers

I once used a seat that was ”soiled” with baby puke. The alternative was another flight. Cockpit jump seat was taken.

Covered it with blankets

No time to clean and no replacement cushions available

Edited by Captain Monday

5 hours ago, scorecard said:
On 4/30/2024 at 6:00 AM, connda said:

If this was a farang, the airline would have already filed a defamation case against him.

Your brain is on overdrive, slow down...

Is he wrong ?

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not true, many director and snr. operational m'ment positions are filled by civilians. How capable they are and whether nepotism is involved is a different subject. 

The proof is in the pudding. 

On 5/2/2024 at 4:19 AM, Georgealbert said:

So days after the news of offering non-reclinable seats in business class and compensating 5,500 for the ‘inconvenience’ in the 6-hour flight, the airline’s Board of Director has come out to share data which shows that Thai is currently the world’s highest profit margin making airline, as Thai is reportedly charging the highest margin on its ticket sales among all airlines.

This below was posted by Piyasvasti Amranaf who is an independent director of the airline.

IMG_2578.jpeg

Another table would be interesting featuring only airlines that aren't state-owned/backed. Thai would've gone bust 20 years ago if they weren't.

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 10:20 PM, gargamon said:

Only has himself to blame. Why fly Thai Airways when there's many better airlines to use, EVA for example.

Eva don't give away free seats to wealthy/connected Thais though!

Edited by Andrew65

On 4/30/2024 at 8:40 AM, webfact said:

The passenger, Treerat Sirichantaropas, has publicly expressed his disillusionment and is considering legal action after experiencing issues with seats that could not recline or convert into beds.

What's the BS about seats not converting to beds? Since when did THAI biz class have beds? Certainly not when I went Biz class. Did all the seats not recline or was it a problem with just his seat? If it was with all, I think there would have been way more than one complaint.

I certainly never had a problem with THAI. Better than Air NZ or British Airways, IMO.

• Confused 1

On 5/1/2024 at 11:56 PM, DjSilver said:

That might be true, however, normal Thai business mindset, is not to improve anything, so the owners could get more profit. But in reality, there will be less profits since the standard hasn't evolved or been upgraded in 15-20 years, still same old seats 🤣

Same old seats that were entirely adequate when I flew with Thai. Some people apparently just like to complain if they feel the staff have not grovelled enough.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What's the BS about seats not converting to beds? Since when did THAI biz class have beds? Certainly not when I went Biz class. Did all the seats not recline or was it a problem with just his seat? If it was with all, I think there would have been way more than one complaint.

I certainly never had a problem with THAI. Better than Air NZ or British Airways, IMO.

Some years back I regularly flw TG. I never had a problem with the seats, I did have issues with their attitude.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I now find Eva to be better, BKK - LHR anyway.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Since when did THAI biz class have beds?

Flew business March 2020, old recliner seats. Return flight August 2023, flatbed seats.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All their modern planes have lie flat biz seats and have done for ages (A380, A350, B787). Older aircraft don't.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2024 at 7:17 PM, Balance said:

I stopped flying with Thai Airlines when the U.S. banned the carrier from landing at any U.S. Airport. The reason: nonexistent or incomplete maintenance records combined with a demonstrated lack of training and inability to perform the work.  

Your timelines are out of whack.

Thai Airways stopped direct flights to the US in 2008 due to the high cost of operating them (thirsty A340-500s). It stopped "one stop" routes to the US in 2012 also due to financial reasons.

The FAA downgraded Thailand to category 2 in 2015. And they were not banned from landing, they were just not allowed to expand their network or launch new routes but Category 2 countries to continue existing routes. But seeing as they hadn't had routes there for nearly four years that was moot anyway.

Not sure what their status is in 2024. I certainly trust TG much more than other regional carriers and pick them above others for regional flights. I prefer other airlines for long haul but not because of any safety concerns.

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

All their modern planes have lie flat biz seats and have done for ages (A380, A350, B787). Older aircraft don't.

Thank you for the reply and likewise to the poster before you.

I only flew biz on the 747 twice, when upgraded. I had no complaints.

Perhaps they shouldn't make it too luxurious as if there is a problem people moan and bitch about it. If people want a bed in a plane, first class would be the appropriate area IMO.

On 5/8/2024 at 5:41 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Same old seats that were entirely adequate when I flew with Thai. Some people apparently just like to complain if they feel the staff have not grovelled enough.

No, the food and service are terrible as well 🤣

• Confused 1

“In the quarter ended 31 March, Thai remained in the black, though an increase in costs – coupled with a reduction in restructuring gains – ate into its profitability.

It reported a quarterly net profit of Bt2.4 billion ($65.2 million), down 80% compared to the year-ago period, where it recorded gains from restructuring and foreign exchange rates. 

Revenue rose about 11% year on year to Bt46 billion, with passenger revenues up about 10%. Thai carried close to 3.9 million passengers during the quarter, representing a 10% increase against the year-ago period. Traffic and capacity both grew around 10% as well, with passenger yields holding steady against 2023 levels.”

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/thai-airways-to-exit-restructuring-in-2024-as-first-quarter-profit-shrinks/158239.article

On 5/2/2024 at 10:19 AM, Georgealbert said:

IMG_2578.jpeg