Have people in Thailand gotten less friendly/happy overall, or is it me?

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

maybe because covid hurt a lot of businesses?

...so shouldn't they be happy to have customers (farang) back?

we are the ones with the dough after all..

bob.

18 minutes ago, bob smith said:

...so shouldn't they be happy to have customers (farang) back?

we are the ones with the dough after all..

bob.

how did you get back on here? i thought they got rid of you.

conspicuous timing just as they changed servers.

let me guess. mrs bob smith is a hacker?

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, marin said:

It seems you have little to no interaction with Thai's unless they are serving you. Telling.

All fine on my end with Thai's other than the fact we are all sick of the relentless heat. 

I don't even think he's in TH.  Just another foreigner that thinks their existence, if in TH, is relevant, and supporting all Thai society :cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

Did a month long vacation down south, escape from the smoke. I cannot recall a trip where I interacted less with Thai people.  It is not like I have great language skills, but I do have them and I enjoy talking with people. I chalk this up to recent events on Phuket, and the Thai media, which has got the ok from the powers that be, to go after farangs westerners. In fact my wife got asked (in thai) point blank if I was Swiss (!)  I am not joking. I was less than diplomatic. I got in their face, and told them exactly where I was from, loudly. Not proud of that moment, BTW, but yab to my wife, like I have no clue what pucky you are spilling, you are not going to get a positive response.

As stated, I put this on the current media circus. As I have done a couple road trips up north, both early this year and last, which was about the same as years before in terms of interacting with locals. Up here it is about the same. However I am talking with people who for the most part know me. Still, I reckon the longer it goes the more long term damage will be done. Obviously the government is ok with that, which should give you a good idea how much they think of you.  

Edited by Dcheech
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Most Thais, except the rich, are deep in debt,

who's faults that then?

rule number 1 to becoming rich : never live beyond your means.

I used to sleep on a wooden floor with no furniture when i first moved here.

Now I am rolling in it.

I don't owe a single cent to anyone.

bob.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

… we are no exotic creatures anymore like we used to be many years ago. So, there is less curiosity involved.

That is exactly right.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, bob smith said:

rule number 1 to becoming rich : never live beyond your means.

I like to see something like this being often advertised as a rule number 1 for getting rich. Because I know that 99% of people who will follow it are not my competitors in a race for big money. They are doomed. 

• Confused 4

If only we had more filthy rich foreigners committing suicide in Thailand and leaving all their money to dirty poor (they always are, aren’t they?) Thais - we would get tons of smiles from these people. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2