Have people in Thailand gotten less friendly/happy overall, or is it me?

39 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand is like the Libertarians wet dream. Basically unfettered free market with the exception of some insane taxes on alcohol and tobacco. Essentially no regulations, do whatever you want marketplace. I'm always told American is capitalist but the markets in Thailand are far more free here. Not sure what you mean by capitalism though maybe.

Disagree - monopolists wet dream. 

HIGH import taxes.

Free market IF you're connected.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Go to any non tourist city and I've always found Thais to be very friendly, great service at restaurants and they seem just happier in general.

I don't see this at all. They often take orders and don't even respond, just write it down and walk away. Very shy people by nature. That's fine by me but going to a Thai restaurant never feels like a friendly experience to me.

6 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

Disagree - monopolists wet dream. 

HIGH import taxes.

Free market IF you're connected.

but you can open a shop basically anywhere with virtually no regulation. Building is extremely lax too. You can even sell food at markets without permits. In the US doing any kind of business is tedious and expensive. Taxes are another thing that don't affect so many Thai people doing business.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

They were rarely nice in 7-11.  The people taking cash at  Tops are not nice.

not so much in Chiang Mai. Masks on, face down. I guess they say thank you at the end sometimes.

11 hours ago, retarius said:

The other odd thing is that when I go to the doctor's office or the bank, I get priority service, in and out very quickly ignoring the queueing system and all the Thai patients sitting there

Never happened to me in many decades here.If hypothetically queue jumping was suggested I would politely decline and wait my turn.Equally to the point, I don't think Thais would tolerate foreigners queue jumping these days, at least in cities like Bangkok.I give my place at supermarket checkouts to elderly Thais and of course to monks when the occasion arises.

On the more general point it's true that farang are no longer a rare commodity and don't get the treatment accorded in the 1970's and before.The British community was widely respected in Bangkok circles in those days because they were seen to be "gentlemanly"  and in tune with Thai virtues This was a delusion because the British trading company employees and the like were often as enthusiastic fornicators and libertines as their contemporary equivalents.The main difference  between now and thenwas essentially one of class - not many true toffs but many public school remittance men etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me capitalism gone mad is part of unhappiness. 

well I see that in China folks are unhappy too even held a march against the CCP.  Look at all the Russians pouring into Thailand they must be unhappy too.  Finland closed their border crossings with Russia to stem the outward flow of unhappy Russians.  The whole world is still reeling from the COVID pandemic.  Very few economies seem to be doing okay and inflation still running around in many places.  But, I am still happy and have no violent aspirations.  Although the heat is oppressive at times, A/C works well, familiy now in Seoul for a concert, finals just about over in college so life goes on.  BUT, looking at the daily news locally and world wide, weather controllers seem to be concerned with violent conditions too. US elections and world weather - harbingers of the future?  Take care, eat well, stay safe BE HAPPY!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Taking Farang out of the situation, why do people think Thai people are so friendly anyways? Comparing them to Americans I never see them making chat with random people in public like markets, make smalltalk when queuing, customers don't talk to clerks or at restaurants etc... They seem very withdrawn in public and tend to keep their heads down. Americans are more in your face and can be rude but they're also more friendly in my opinion.

Making chat.  Sounds so simple but it isn't, there's another factor in the Thai scenario which basically isn't there in a typical western scenario.

The factor is status level. All Thais have been brought up to 'know your status level and keep within that status level'.

Even when abroad status is in the picture.

I recall being a member of a Thai student support group in Melbourne.

Regularly some Thais didn't attend because they were aware that students of lower status would be present. This included organized (as needed) additional tutorials. I would put a note on the various notice boards on campus: subject / lesson chapter number / date / time / location.

Often I would get a phone call asking who had signed up. sometimes the phone call would include questions about what uni the student (who had signed up for the tutorial) had graduated from in Thailand, even their grade and any known details of the family name and business activity of the family.

Several times I became aware that students who needed to attend the additional tutorial didn't come, they were from hi-so families and didn't want to be seen attending a tutorial / remedial tutorial with lower status students. 

Even at the tutorial I would notice students being very selective who they would talk to.

(Occasionally I organized social / food activities at my apartment, all invited.

One time I discovered that a rich loud hi-so girl was continually ordering 2 Thai male students to help with food, collect dirty plates and more.

I asked her why, answer:  'they are low status they should do all the support work'.

I instantly / politely told the 2 boys to sit down and then told the hi-so girl to stand up and I told her 'now you take care of the boys'. She fled. 

Word got around and the hi-so girl kept a very low profile.)

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's getting worse. There are a lot of low class india people and chinese coming in with poor manners. When you let too many people in it changes the culture and responses you get.

Ahh very true !

I noticed less manners even in Australia,may sound racist but certain ethnicity believe in running to the door of a bus rather than lining up 

11 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Yes your observation is right on the money.  So much so that I limit my contact with thais to an absolute minimum.  No unecessary social contact whatsoever.  The foreigners in my circle of friends are delightful, polite and eager for conversation.  

One of my friends tried breaking the ice with  a waitress this week with a joke that she failed to appreciate and responded nastily, "I am going to put rat poison in you drink."

The antiforeigner news barrage of propaganda is working extraordinarily well.

Lol...I wonder if this is tourist areas ?

I think it all depends on what circle of friends you live within Thailand. The place where are I live it is mostly just one happy family. Usually on a Friday night we meet up, expats, wives, girlfriends. Lot of food and drink flowing and everyone enjoying themselves. If I were to meet them in a supermarket with or without their partners, they stop and smile, have a chat and move on. Any newbies would be made welcome 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

went to city yesterday as usual to ride bike..

stopped at my mechanic--we joked and i chatted with his daughter while he did repairs..

walked to 7-11 to get a water...smiled at the somtam gals as i walked in--they smiled back

got my waves from usual massage gals sitting outside cat calling me as i see them daily

the little kids came out to say hello where i leave my mbike and lock up my bike for the night...

joked and chatted up the couple that sells me fruit every night on my way home....

depends where u look i suppose.....or maybe its just me 🙂

Absolutely spot on, where I live it is exactly the same

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, ignore it said:

Whew!

I thought it was just me because I've grown a beard 🧔

If anyone with a thick beard or big mouser sat next to me I would get up and leave. I would say that guys who covers part of their face must have something to hide.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

went to city yesterday as usual to ride bike..

stopped at my mechanic--we joked and i chatted with his daughter while he did repairs..

walked to 7-11 to get a water...smiled at the somtam gals as i walked in--they smiled back

got my waves from usual massage gals sitting outside cat calling me as i see them daily

the little kids came out to say hello where i leave my mbike and lock up my bike for the night...

joked and chatted up the couple that sells me fruit every night on my way home....

depends where u look i suppose.....or maybe its just me 🙂

Cool story but notice that in my post I refer to strangers many times to make it clear, not people you already know. I have the same good experiences with non-strangers.

Basically, the observation is that strangers seem less friendly/happy overall and less likely to be friendly nowadays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Regularly some Thais didn't attend because they were aware that students of lower status would be present. This included organized (as needed) additional tutorials. I would put a note on the various notice boards on campus: subject / lesson chapter number / date / time / location.

Often I would get a phone call asking who had signed up. sometimes the phone call would include questions about what uni the student (who had signed up for the tutorial) had graduated from in Thailand, even their grade and any known details of the family name and business activity of the family.

vile. I never heard of this before. You may have similar stories from our Indian friends and their caste system. I know such things are happening in the US in certain companies and even lawsuits have been filed for caste discrimination.

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I'm friendly with my long time bike mechanic too. Hair salons too are social places which is nice. I like to chat with the older women at the massage parlor. It's out there for sure but not at large scale in public, not in a city like CM at least.

2 hours ago, andux said:

Cool story but notice that in my post I refer to strangers many times to make it clear, not people you already know. I have the same good experiences with non-strangers.

Basically, the observation is that strangers seem less friendly/happy overall and less likely to be friendly nowadays.

Expat strangers are down right rude, thank god for their wives and girlfriends.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm friendly with my long time bike mechanic too. Hair salons too are social places which is nice. I like to chat with the older women at the massage parlor. It's out there for sure but not at large scale in public, not in a city like CM at least.

As long as the chat with the older Thai women doesn't instantly change to:

- You have Thai wife?

- But have to have Thai lady to take care of you.

- I like big belly farang.

- You have big passport and big bank?

- My mother needs a new car.

- You can eat spicy because I can teach you.

- It's the law in Thailand farang have to have a Thai wife.

- I can move to your house tomorrow. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I have been coming to Thailand for 15 years and I find it about the same. Some Thai are friendly and some just do their job. Some find us annoying but most seem happy to help and a smile goes a long way. I guess because I see a lot of Foreigners do not smile why should the Thai smile. On My first trip here since covid . march last year riding on Bangkoks Train system i noted that the Authorities suggested mask wearing. When in Rome. so I wore a mask. No funny looks from Thai.

But I noted how most Westerners (mostly young) got on without masks and with obvious contempt for the locals.

I do not blame the Thai for not smiling

When do we respect them

I get smiles most shops I go to because I try and follow the rules.

Old story though "If you see someone without a smile . Give them One of Yours"

In the big tourist zones you can encounter a lot but as someone who loves to travel around Isan, outside of the main tourist zones most people are really friendly and welcoming.

I think certain areas where there have been quite a few incidents involving foreigners, just the last two months have been insane in Phuket and Pattaya so that the locals are getting a little tired of it is understandable.

There are always friendly and unfriendly people. Don't take it personally as it is their personality not yours. Keep being friendly, sooner or later you will attract nicer people.

• Like 1

I have, toward foreigners and basically avoid them.   And I don't even have to deal with the ignorant, arrogant ones, since not in customer services.  Just think how the locals feel, that do :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:02 PM, Expat68 said:

Disagree, where I live the Thai smile is just the same

How many decades have you been in Thailand?

Like I said, it's not just Thailand. Nowhere are people happy anymore. The fear machine has been working overtime. If it isn't climate change is going to kill us all if we don't buy an EV, it's too many genders or the council is building too many cycle paths. I'm pretty sure people didn't worry about so many things 60 years ago.

1 hour ago, Kiwiken said:

I have been coming to Thailand for 15 years and I find it about the same. Some Thai are friendly and some just do their job. Some find us annoying but most seem happy to help and a smile goes a long way. I guess because I see a lot of Foreigners do not smile why should the Thai smile. On My first trip here since covid . march last year riding on Bangkoks Train system i noted that the Authorities suggested mask wearing. When in Rome. so I wore a mask. No funny looks from Thai.

But I noted how most Westerners (mostly young) got on without masks and with obvious contempt for the locals.

I do not blame the Thai for not smiling

When do we respect them

I get smiles most shops I go to because I try and follow the rules.

Old story though "If you see someone without a smile . Give them One of Yours"

Sorry, but 15 years is not long enough. It all changed early this century, before you arrived.

It was a different country in the 80s and 90s. Greed got them as they became more westernised.

From my personal perspective, the beaches were destroyed in a tidal wave of concrete as they sought to cash in on the flashpackers. They are no longer the tropical paradise they used to be. Same with Thai society as it became all about money, just like western society. Greed rules.

People are still kind and friendly here. But, they react to what you put out, and it is possible you have shut down and you are not projecting cheerful, positive vibes. So, try harder. 

You want to see unfriendly? Just encounter a Russian. 

• Thumbs Up 1