Philippines is going to fill up

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I lived in the PI for 6 years 86-89 and 91-94.  Totally loved it as I am a certified SCUBA open water diver.  The PI is over 7000 island, water is crystal clear as drinking water and there is a lot of sea life and reefs available plus lots of WWII sunken ships to dive on.  Golf is readily available throughout.  I also am a member of the PI expat forum and actually, the comments (complaints) sound much like those on this forum.  There are those that like Dumaguete and those that do not for the same reason.  Lack of facilities and remoteness.  But just like Thailand, expats have moved there due to the cheaper life, some for the beauty of the females, English more widespread and immigration easier than here.  Though not all are happy.  Local foods sometimes leave expats wary.  But like they all say, immigration is much easier than here.  Land ownership too is like here - though some swear they own land but there are many stories of expats buying property in the boonies only to have the local that sold the property kick the expat out after housing is developed though not a whole lot of stories as most are savvy now to the scams.  Suggest you contact  some expats there and get their feelings.philippine at  "Philippines Expats Forum - Living inthe Philippines" Good luck - the grass is not always greener.  20 storms (Typhoons  a year many with flooding), active volcanoes, big earthquakes, heat waves too.

I do enjoy General Santos city

Went there last year as well as Davao city ,so safe 

I'm yet to try Duamagette though

I didn't enjoy Angeles City 

And I don't like Cebu City 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've heard Dumaguete come up a few times, would be interesting to hear more about it, looking at googlemaps it's close to Manila 

No I don't think so

I think it's a few hours flight 

I tried to use Skyscanner to see flights from Manila to Duamagette if anyone can help me ,I can't seem to find flights 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I also don't like Cebu City or Dumaguette.

I wouldn't ever even visit Angeles.

I'm interested in Baguio and Iloilo City.

Baguio close to the mountains so not hot and very diverse , have different events and parades every year .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I also don't like Cebu City or Dumaguette.

I wouldn't ever even visit Angeles.

I'm interested in Baguio and Iloilo City.

Baguio especially great in the mountains.  Angeles a lot like Pattaya

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

No I don't think so

I think it's a few hours flight 

I tried to use Skyscanner to see flights from Manila to Duamagette if anyone can help me ,I can't seem to find flights 

some of the islands have an airport some don't so to get to some cities, one might have to take a flight to a port that has ferry boats to that island.

Baguio close to the mountains so not hot and very diverse , have different events and parades every year .

Yeah it gets chilly though so no place is perfect.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

I wouldn't change countries because I'd get a few more quid in the bank each week. I've taken the death by a thousand cuts route, but then I do have a private and a company pension as well.

I wouldn't change countries because I'd get a few more quid in the bank each week. I've taken the death by a thousand cuts route, but then I do have a private and a company pension as well.

well

Expats seem to like the immigration system in the PI better than that here - tax too maybe, there is an expat forum - google "expat forum Philippines"

1 minute ago, Presnock said:

Sometimes, one has to charter a flight to get to certain island cities too as they don't have a commercial airport.

Duamagette has a airport....maybe they are calling it different on Skyscanner?

But I want to go there 

Maybe I can go Bangkok to Cebu is that possible?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

may I ask anyone here considered the Philippines or may I ask ,you are there NOW ?

I only stayed in Subic Bay, some day trips to Angeles City.

I'd say any place outside of Manila would be nice. 

Check this aussie guy out, he's enjoying his time in the Philippines. 

https://www.facebook.com/travisfeinphilippines?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

But I want to go there 

Maybe I can go Bangkok to Cebu is that possible?

very easy as Cebu is the capitol of the central PI and plenty of flights going there.  sometimes the airports shown on a map is not really a commerical airport with scheduled flights to that particular island.  One needs to know how to get to emergency location from some of the islands as it might be necessary depending on one's age.

Just now, Presnock said:

very easy as Cebu is the capitol of the central PI and plenty of flights going there.  sometimes the airports shown on a map is not really a commerical airport with scheduled flights to that particular island.  One needs to know how to get to emergency location from some of the islands as it might be necessary depending on one's age.

I recall recently someone talking about living in Dumaguete - he talked about the difficulty of getting emergency travel out ward...I delete the forum notes daily so don' rememeber all the particulars.

Just now, Presnock said:

I recall recently someone talking about living in Dumaguete - he talked about the difficulty of getting emergency travel out ward...I delete the forum notes daily so don' rememeber all the particulars.

Yes I recall that too

I do watch Duamagette YouTubers such as Paul in the Philippines and Everyman has a story

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Nailed it completely

If you were that desperate you need to stay within your own country as sooner or later the shight will hit the fan financially

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've heard Dumaguete come up a few times, would be interesting to hear more about it, looking at googlemaps it's close to Manila 

Not even close. 650km south of Manilla. Just north of Mindanao Island.

20 minutes ago, Presnock said:

well

Expats seem to like the immigration system in the PI better than that here - tax too maybe, there is an expat forum - google "expat forum Philippines"

I have a Thai wife. Makes a difference.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

I lived in the PI for 6 years 86-89 and 91-94.  Totally loved it as I am a certified SCUBA open water diver.  The PI is over 7000 island, water is crystal clear as drinking water and there is a lot of sea life and reefs available plus lots of WWII sunken ships to dive on.  Golf is readily available throughout.  I also am a member of the PI expat forum and actually, the comments (complaints) sound much like those on this forum.  There are those that like Dumaguete and those that do not for the same reason.  Lack of facilities and remoteness.  But just like Thailand, expats have moved there due to the cheaper life, some for the beauty of the females, English more widespread and immigration easier than here.  Though not all are happy.  Local foods sometimes leave expats wary.  But like they all say, immigration is much easier than here.  Land ownership too is like here - though some swear they own land but there are many stories of expats buying property in the boonies only to have the local that sold the property kick the expat out after housing is developed though not a whole lot of stories as most are savvy now to the scams.  Suggest you contact  some expats there and get their feelings.philippine at  "Philippines Expats Forum - Living inthe Philippines" Good luck - the grass is not always greener.  20 storms (Typhoons  a year many with flooding), active volcanoes, big earthquakes, heat waves too.

And what kind of healthcare does a geezer get in Dumaguete? (Sounds like some French bread with a stutter.)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Dumaguete airport

Its easy to find the airport if you spell it correctly. 

• Thumbs Up 1