Philippines is going to fill up

8 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Don't rely what you are reading on "Philippine forums". A lot of nonsense and wrong info. Go and see for yourself, than make decision. 

I'll have a read of them anyway, just for curiosity’s sake.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

What about somewhere like Rayong or Koh Chang?

Air quality is bad all over Thailand during burning season.  It comes from Burma, Cambodia, and Vietnam.  Phuket is the furthest away from all of it and they still get lots of triple digit AQI days.  They are also closer to Indonesia and there is lots of burning going on there as well.

Edited by shdmn

19 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Actually, a lot of guys have moved to Cambodia, more's the pity for Cambodia!

I can enjoy Cambodia for five days and that's my upper limit, then I want to get back to Thailand.

Now Vietnam, I could go there for months.

Philippines doesn't have the' wow or drag factor' for me to go there, in fairness, I've never been.

Never been but dragging it down ?😳

How do you know you wouldn't like some parts of the Philippines?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Phat Dawg said:

awful food, high crime, poor infrastructure, typhoons, heavy poverty, too much religious evangelism, naah pass.

So another never been is my guess.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Never been but dragging it down ?😳

How do you know you wouldn't like some parts of the Philippines?

Holds no opinion and purely a personal choice along with a personal viewpoint.

15 hours ago, Startmeup said:

I told you already, Angeles City in the Philippines is known as the city with the highest density of libraries on the planet.
There's no where better suited for you, Get after it. 

Yes, it is the Pattaya of the Philippines

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Yes, it is the Pattaya of the Philippines

I didn't think I could compare it 

It's much smaller 

Far more Korean men.

Much more ...how do I describe it...not as clean 

Constant beeping of horns ..I have no idea why Filipinos have a thing for blowing their horns 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I didn't think I could compare it 

It's much smaller 

Far more Korean men.

Much more ...how do I describe it...not as clean 

Constant beeping of horns ..I have no idea why Filipinos have a thing for blowing their horns 

I meant the flagship city of prostitution both deriving from important American bases in the Vietnam War conflict, same current story.

Horns same Vietnam and India

Edited by BE88

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I'll have a read of them anyway, just for curiosity’s sake.

Yeah, sorta like this forum - I am sure you believe all that you read here because you can easily tell that there are a lot of really smart people here!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Presnock said:

I lived in the PI for 6 years 86-89 and 91-94.  Totally loved it as I am a certified SCUBA open water diver.  The PI is over 7000 island, water is crystal clear as drinking water and there is a lot of sea life and reefs available plus lots of WWII sunken ships to dive on.  Golf is readily available throughout.  I also am a member of the PI expat forum and actually, the comments (complaints) sound much like those on this forum.  There are those that like Dumaguete and those that do not for the same reason.  Lack of facilities and remoteness.  But just like Thailand, expats have moved there due to the cheaper life, some for the beauty of the females, English more widespread and immigration easier than here.  Though not all are happy.  Local foods sometimes leave expats wary.  But like they all say, immigration is much easier than here.  Land ownership too is like here - though some swear they own land but there are many stories of expats buying property in the boonies only to have the local that sold the property kick the expat out after housing is developed though not a whole lot of stories as most are savvy now to the scams.  Suggest you contact  some expats there and get their feelings.philippine at  "Philippines Expats Forum - Living inthe Philippines" Good luck - the grass is not always greener.  20 storms (Typhoons  a year many with flooding), active volcanoes, big earthquakes, heat waves too.

had a Philippine GF in Palm Springs.  she was fun and hot and excellent english, curious.  she was studying at UCLA.  but i hear the PI's are not for foodies.

Posted (edited)

Frozen state pensions are a bummer but getting a extra few pounds on my massive 131 GBP a week pension wouldn't be enough to switch countries. Maybe if i was just retiring i would opt for the Philippines but it is  along way from anywhere and i doubt any cheaper than Thailand. If i moved anywhere it would be Cambodia.

Edited by Henryford

I lived in Makati, the financial district of Manila, for 11 years back in the late 70's, early 80's. I loved the cosmopolitan lifestyle, and the club scene back in those days was outstanding. The red-light districts of Makati and Manila were very accessible and convenient, and being in my 30's, it was the best time of my life. Most everyone spoke English, and I had a secretary, maid, cook and driver, and their wages were next to nothing. The high-rise living in the heart of the city was very affordable, and the ladies were everywhere. I was like a kid in a candy shop! I can't speak for the rural areas because that is not my thing. Resorts along the seacoast are easily accessible and plentiful. If I were you OP, I would take a 2-week vacation and just explore before settling on one place with no knowledge of all the options available to you. Good luck, and God speed!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I lived in Makati, the financial district of Manila, for 11 years back in the late 70's, early 80's. I loved the cosmopolitan lifestyle, and the club scene back in those days was outstanding. The red-light districts of Makati and Manila were very accessible and convenient, and being in my 30's, it was the best time of my life. Most everyone spoke English, and I had a secretary, maid, cook and driver, and their wages were next to nothing. The high-rise living in the heart of the city was very affordable, and the ladies were everywhere. I was like a kid in a candy shop! I can't speak for the rural areas because that is not my thing. Resorts along the seacoast are easily accessible and plentiful. If I were you OP, I would take a 2-week vacation and just explore before settling on one place with no knowledge of all the options available to you. Good luck, and God speed!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, malibukid said:

had a Philippine GF in Palm Springs.  she was fun and hot and excellent english, curious.  she was studying at UCLA.  but i hear the PI's are not for foodies.

totally depends on what one like's to eat in my opinion...but I did not find a lot of the local "traditional" foods likeable to my taste.  A lot depends on where one settles down as each island is a country unto itself.  That is why there are hundreds of spoken Tagalog-based dialects as no islander wanted to study that of their neighbor so when the US received the islands from the losing Spanish, the first thing that the US sent to the PI was 500 English teachers.  Though that too is now Tagalogized by those who feel superior as Asians are wont, they love to mix all the various languages in each sentence spoken.  I still miss some things about the PI though,  a really neat country.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

There's going to be mass exodus from Thailand and the only place for us poms is the Philippines!

Fantastic news, when does the exodus start ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

You've posted that about 5+ times now

• Haha 1

I just asked my BFF - who is from nearby Dumaguete – if I could add to this thread?

An immediate, hot response - “don’t bother – you never been there!”

Here goes – most famously, I heard Dumaguete is too hot, weatherwise.

Not much traffic, and apparently no traffic lights?

Very easy to get other places in PH, like the islands, or Cebu/Manila.

Posted (edited)

I think eventually PH will be more populair and interesting, the visa is simply much easier to start with. Internet used to be a issue there but nowadays they even already have Starlink, it costs like 3000 pesos a month only. Too bad it is 12k pesos to use it globally, else I could have used it here (200 eur a month instead of 50 eur domestic).

Many new younger expats already move there from the start, but never really went to live in Thailand or Bali etc. I also notice more older people moving there, as of limited pensions. Last but not least noticed quite a few former bar/restaurant/guesthouse owners sell here and move there, still seem to be happy.

The benefits Thailand used to have are like less and less, I guess the only thing they have left to really compete with is food but these type of issues resolve themself if enough keep moving there. Last but not least the tax in Thailand remains unclear, that could still trigger many to leave here.

I guess i would consider moving there if they make it impossible here. It is either PH or VN.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

Before I came to settle in Thailand 7 years ago, I did spend some time in the Philippines. It was a close call choosing between the two but now the pendulum may have shifted in favour of the 7000 islands nation.

OK, the food is not that great but the woman is. And agreed, immigration is much easier in the Philippines, and yes, UK pension plays a major part. Especially since this and/or last year the cost of living pension increases pension are rather large.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Been to duamagette have a friend how live there for about fifteen years built a house he love it there Philippines has good and bad points crime poverty very Catholic like south America not like Asia it easy to get things done as everyone speaks English but it's long way behind Thailand 

9 minutes ago, bbbb1952 said:

Been to duamagette have a friend how live there for about fifteen years built a house he love it there Philippines has good and bad points crime poverty very Catholic like south America not like Asia it easy to get things done as everyone speaks English but it's long way behind Thailand 

Reading through this thread I'm surprised how many westerners see it as a negative to be a Catholic nation, and I'm not religious but I see that as a positive when I've been

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Startmeup said:

I told you already, Angeles City in the Philippines is known as the city with the highest density of libraries on the planet.
There's no where better suited for you, Get after it. 

Do they cater for enthusiasts for data analyse and the psychometrics of statistics?

Asking for a friend who runs a bookshop, last seen with glazed eyes muttering about balconies..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Henryford said:

and i doubt any cheaper than Thailand

Angeles City, for me, was significantly cheaper than Pattaya.  As an expat, I spend about 50% more in Pattaya than AC.

People will have different experiences with this because the prices are not uniform and some things are cheaper there and some things more expensive.  So it will depend on your lifestyle but in my experience...

Angeles City

More expensive: Hotels by a good bit.  Condos/houses similar or maybe a little more (but better to own, imo, since it's not overbuilt).  Think electricity was a bit more, too.

Less expensive: Visa, potentially by a lot if you need any kind of special visa for Thailand (you don't ever have to get a visa in the Philippines, at any age).  Anything that is primarily labor is going to be cheaper in AC.  Hookers, medical consults, maids, laundry, drivers, guards, etc.  Western restaurants and groceries are a bit cheaper, ime.

Edited by QuantumQuandry
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was at Canterbury Tales bookshop in Pattaya  yesterday, a lovely place where a great range of books are available 

And the owner Dave is a fantastic listener who sat there hours recently to listen to my book reviews on data analyst and the psychometrics of statistics.

But anyway I did speak to a farang who had been in Pattaya a number of years who was moving to the Philippines 

A lot of UK  guys are moving there he said , their pensions don't get frozen !

There's going to be mass exodus from Thailand and the only place for us poms is the Philippines!

So the story goes , apparently they get their pensions frozen 

Where are they moving according to statistics, Duamagette 

Thus hearing this needs and compiling data I have decided maybe next week to head to Duamagette 

No idea how to get there though 

So may I ask anyone here considered the Philippines or may I ask ,you are there NOW ?

Just saw a video on dumaguete. It feels over hyped. Old geezers there blogging for income. Video looked like nothing to do, just a beach walkway area that was pretty much the only nice place to stroll. A guy I talked to in Jomtein, just back from the phillippines, also gave it a thumbs down.

Edited by JimTripper