Al Jazeera Shutdown - Israeli Cabinet Approves Closure of Al Jazeera's Facilities

CharlieH

4 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

During red shirt occupation of Bangkok's center, and subsequent showdown between "peaceful protesters" and "aggressive army" as BBC and CNN put it, I was watching these 2 and Al Jazeera, plus some Thai channels for live coverage. Having Channel 5 and BBC side by side I got confused. Reporter was speaking English, but what he was saying was describing what I was watching on Channel 5. Later same happened with CNN. It was at that moment that I realised their reporters just watched Thai news and reported them as if they were there.

Al Jazeera maniac though, with helmet on and camera on a stick, was in a ditch under expressway, right in between the 2 warring parties shooting each other, pointing camera around to show what was actually happening. You just had to pray he doesn't get shot for his (courage? stupidity?). Having lived right in the middle of the hot zone, and knowing where the bullets came from (with plenty of evidence from newly created ventilation holes on my walls), Al Jazeera was also the only one of the 3 that told what was actually happening and not just going with poor peaceful protesters being slaughtered by the nasty army narrative like Western media.

Hence lots of respect for Al Jazeera. There's a reason why most countries in Middle East want them shut down - Qatar was under blockade from neighbouring countries for a while for refusing to shut them down just a few years back, so they are a pain to many dictatorships there.

There is a difference between Al Jazeera English and the Al Jazeera Arabic, though. Unlike Israel wanting both gone, most Arab rulers want the Arabic version gone and don't seem to care much about English one.

Why would there be a difference between Al Jazeera English and Al Jazeera Arabic? That can't be true. 

The current head of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh, has resided in Doha since 2016. Qatar has been called Hamas' most important financial backer and foreign ally. (Wikipedia).

However, trying to stop reporting by the other side is still censorship.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

The current head of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh, has resided in Doha since 2016. Qatar has been called Hamas' most important financial backer and foreign ally. (Wikipedia).

However, trying to stop reporting by the other side is still censorship.

You wouldn’t make a good war time consigliere! Israel doesn’t want a terrorist organization spreading malicious malfeasance through their state sponsored media who had a office in Isreael! During war one of the first tactics is to stop your enemy from trying to influence the citizens.

https://www.mylearning.org/stories/censorship-and-propaganda-in-ww2/483?

The only news broadcaster I can watch. 

The rest is B.<deleted>ers. Even France24 became unwatchable.

About subject - Bibi decided in few hours to shut down and loot property of foreign company?! All hail Bibi - new duche!

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

The only news broadcaster I can watch. 

The rest is B.<deleted>ers. Even France24 became unwatchable.

About subject - Bibi decided in few hours to shut down and loot property of foreign company?! All hail Bibi - new duche!

Have you read the story or did you just read the headline and comment ?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Have you read the story or did you just read the headline and comment ?

Are you sure he can read, as he certainly cannot write coherently!

On 5/6/2024 at 7:14 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt they care about negative PR, as they have Biden's word he'll cover for them no matter what.

Oh I bet they do.. Regardless of who may be in their “camp” so to speak, outside of a few counties with the — clout - to be largely insulted from outside opinion (IMHO, that might be people like the PRC or even Russia) I’ll bet that they do in fact care how their chosen narrative is seen overseas…  

they may not choose to act on that, but I’ll bet they do watch and care how their narrative is seen outside its borders.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, new2here said:

Oh I bet they do.. Regardless of who may be in their “camp” so to speak, outside of a few counties with the — clout - to be largely insulted from outside opinion (IMHO, that might be people like the PRC or even Russia) I’ll bet that they do in fact care how their chosen narrative is seen overseas…  

they may not choose to act on that, but I’ll bet they do watch and care how their narrative is seen outside its borders.

Indeed. If Israel did not care about negative PR, the war would be over by now. 

• Agree 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:03 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Good for them, a bit late in the day though, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain & Egypt had already banned Al Jazeera.

Egypt accused Al Jazeera of being a mouthpiece for the Islamist group, banning the broadcaster and arresting a number of its journalists. In 2017, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain launched a boycott of Qatar over charges it supported terrorism, an accusation Qatar denied

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/egypt-frees-last-al-jazeera-journalists-it-had-detained-2024-03-22/

https://archive.ph/24Le0

Truly bizarre comment from oppositeworld. In the past, before Oct 7 it would have been considered a badge of honor to be banned by such repressive and brutal regimes like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain. Now, apparently, it's a mark of shame. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Truly bizarre comment from oppositeworld. In the past, before Oct 7 it would have been considered a badge of honor to be banned by such repressive and brutal regimes like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain. Now, apparently, it's a mark of shame. 

Truly bizarre comment from oppositeworld. 

Being banned at various points because of connections to Iran and Islamist militants/terrorists would be a badge of honor to them? Who frigging cares.

The only "Truly bizarre comment from oppositeworld". I can see is yours

Edited by Bkk Brian

40 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Truly bizarre comment from oppositeworld. 

Being banned at various points because of connections to Iran and Islamist militants/terrorists would be a badge of honor to them? Who frigging cares.

The only "Truly bizarre comment from oppositeworld". I can see is yours

Even if those accusations were true, and "connections" is such a nice vague word, ya think that's why those countries banned Al Jazeera? Remember that it was Saudi Arabia along with the UAE that invented a provocation in order to justify a rupture with Qatar.

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Even if those accusations were true, and "connections" is such a nice vague word, ya think that's why those countries banned Al Jazeera? Remember that it was Saudi Arabia along with the UAE that invented a provocation in order to justify a rupture with Qatar.

Even if those accusations were true, and "connections" is such a nice vague word

Spewing terrorist propaganda is not vague. Hence why banned. Do you think they should let them carry on broadcasting?

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Even if those accusations were true, and "connections" is such a nice vague word

Spewing terrorist propaganda is not vague. Hence why banned. Do you think they should let them carry on broadcasting?

Not surprising that any news that contradicts the official Israeli narrative you would characterize as "terrorist propaganda". Attaching "terrorist" to whatever information displeases you.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, placeholder said:

Not surprising that any news that contradicts the official Israeli narrative you would characterize as "terrorist propaganda". Attaching "terrorist" to whatever information displeases you.

Its not important what I would characterize, it is important what Israel does however. They certainly do attach terrorist to it. 

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its not important what I would characterize, it is important what Israel does however. They certainly do attach terrorist to it. 

A practice they share with the Saudi, Bahraini, and Egyptian government to whatever or whomever opposes them.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

A practice they share with the Saudi, Bahraini, and Egyptian government to whatever or whomever opposes them.

You may find it hard to accept that Israel bans Al Jazeera for being a terrorist mouth piece and attempt to deflect, Israel and other states do not.

Egypt accused Al Jazeera of being a mouthpiece for the Islamist group, banning the broadcaster and arresting a number of its journalists. In 2017, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain launched a boycott of Qatar over charges it supported terrorism, an accusation Qatar denied

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/egypt-frees-last-al-jazeera-journalists-it-had-detained-2024-03-22

https://archive.ph/24Le0

Edited by Bkk Brian

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You may find it hard to accept that Israel bans Al Jazeera for being a terrorist mouth piece and attempt to deflect, Israel and other states do not.

Egypt accused Al Jazeera of being a mouthpiece for the Islamist group, banning the broadcaster and arresting a number of its journalists. In 2017, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain launched a boycott of Qatar over charges it supported terrorism, an accusation Qatar denied

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/egypt-frees-last-al-jazeera-journalists-it-had-detained-2024-03-22

As I pointed out, these states routinely label as terrorists anyone who they feel poses a threat to their interests. Saudi Arabia just sentenced a woman's rights activist to 11 years in prison for terrorism.

Edited by placeholder
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, placeholder said:

As I pointed out, these states routinely label as terrorists anyone who they feel poses a threat to their legitimacy. Saudi Arabia just sentenced a woman's rights activist to 11 years in prison for terrorism.

And? Hamas are terrorists

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So criticizing Israel's conduct of the war, and reporting news that contradicts their official line, makes someone a supporter of Hamas? Simplistic thinking much?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So criticizing Israel's conduct of the war, and reporting news that contradicts their official line, makes someone a supporter of Hamas? Simplistic thinking much?

What's that got to do with this post I responded to?

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As I pointed out, these states routinely label as terrorists anyone who they feel poses a threat to their interests. Saudi Arabia just sentenced a woman's rights activist to 11 years in prison for terrorism.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What's that got to do with this post I responded to?

Because you are claiming that reporting and opinion that contradicts the official Israeli narrative is supporting terrorism.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Because you are claiming that reporting and opinion that contradicts the official Israeli narrative is supporting terrorism.

You said:

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I stated:

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Now do you think Israel should have let Al Jazeera carry on as normal in Israel? 

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

You said:

I stated:

Now do you think Israel should have let Al Jazeera carry on as normal in Israel? 

Why not?

For the time being it hasn't been banned from the West Bank.

"The ban did not appear to affect the channel’s operations in the occupied West Bank or Gaza Strip, where Israel wields control but which are not sovereign Israeli territory."

https://apnews.com/article/israel-aljazeera-hamas-gaza-war-eba9416aea82f505ab908ee60d1de5e4

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Why not?

For the time being it hasn't been banned from the West Bank.

"The ban did not appear to affect the channel’s operations in the occupied West Bank or Gaza Strip, where Israel wields control but which are not sovereign Israeli territory."

https://apnews.com/article/israel-aljazeera-hamas-gaza-war-eba9416aea82f505ab908ee60d1de5e4

I know its not banned in West Bank or Gaza, its Israel only thats in the OP no need for a link.

Even though they employee Hamas commanders and spew their false propaganda you think they should still operate in Israel?