90 year women gets hit a killed crossing the road

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

No one said otherwise! The question was simply: how does ‘40+ years experience & commonsense’ save someone on a motorcycle stopped at a red light when you have no cover and are hit from behind from a fast-moving heavier vehicle?”. 

one time at band camp.

• Haha 1

Without PROPER LAW ENFORCEMENT, any effort to improve road safety is doomed to fail.
People don't follow traffic rules just because it is for their own safety.
Law enforcement, aka police checks, is not in the Thai books.
Just every now and then erect a police checkpoint to collect money for the "Police charity funds" is not a correct way to catch traffic offenders.
Nor is putting carton board figures of a policeman at a crossing.
As long as Thailand doesn't adapt to the correct traffic controls and send their police officers on the roads to catch offenders, nothing will change.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And amazingly, most of are still around to tell of our experiences. I've been riding here for 10 years now (with an overall total of around 30 years) I have no qualms about riding here, in fact I enjoy it.

If it doesn't appeal to you that's fine, but please stop carping on about other peoples lifestyle choices. It's non of your business. Do you criticize sky divers, downhill skiers or SCUBA divers?

Calm down. Simply asked a question about a motorcycle red light situation. Didn’t realise a question would ruffle so many feathers! 

Have a nice day ✌️

And stay safe!

Edited by Nemises

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nemises said:

Still no answer to the question I notice 🤣

Can't answer 'what ifs'  as all different circumstances.  Surprised you didn't ask, 'what if you saw a plane crashing towards me"  BYE BYE

200w.gif

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Calm down. Simply asked a question about a motorcycle red light situation. Didn’t realise a question would ruffle so many feathers! 

Have a nice day ✌️

And stay safe!

I did not refer to any question, I was responding to the (off topic) comment below. I do not see a question mark.

7 hours ago, Nemises said:

There are AN members who ride motorcycles on these deadly roads. Amazing.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can't answer 'what ifs'  as all different circumstances.  Surprised you didn't ask, 'what if you saw a plane crashing towards me"  BYE BYE

Oh dear. A motorcyclist boasting about "40+ years experience" can't answer what to do when at a red light without cover! Too funny.

BYE BYE!

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Oh dear. A motorcyclist boasting about "40+ years experience" can't answer what to do when at a red light without cover! Too funny.

BYE BYE!

If I saw it coming, and couldn't quickly get out of the way, I'd simply jump up off the scooter platform, as high as I could, and hope I clear the front grill of the vehicle, and hopefully most of the windshield.  Anything being better than full impact or going underneath.

If you really want a what if solution.  Or I'd be wearing one of those instant inflate wearable airbags.  Another what if solution.   Both without using my superpowers :coffee1:

There ... HAPPY NOW

Although, since there, up front, all by myself, then getting out of the way, would be quite easy.  No real thought involved, just turn the throttle as the E-MC has instant torque ... go left/right, and out of way.   I await the next what if ...

Can we get any further off topic.  Now stop beating that horse, IT's DEAD

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well in my city we have a speed limit of 40 in school zones for yonks 

regardless of the lower speed limits pedestrians are still getting mowed down on a crossing or not..i see traffic here brake hard and veer to avoid a dog or frog, but humanoids seem to be fair game..what is wrong with their psychie!  RIP Khun Yai

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

If I saw it coming, and couldn't quickly get out of the way, I'd simply jump up off the scooter platform, as high as I could, and hope I clear the front grill of the vehicle, and hopefully most of the windshield.  Anything being better than full impact or going underneath.

If you really want a what if solution.  Or I'd be wearing one of those instant inflate wearable airbags.  Another what if solution.   Both without using my superpowers :coffee1:

There ... HAPPY NOW

Although, since there, up front, all by myself, then getting out of the way, would be quite easy.  No real thought involved, just turn the throttle as the E-MC has instant torque ... go left/right, and out of way.   I await the next what if ...

Can we get any further off topic.  Now stop beating that horse, IT's DEAD

You said “bye bye” but YOU keep coming back lol. 😂 

Thanks for FINALLY answering! Good luck with that high jumping!!! That’s hilarious 😂 

Stay safe ..or in your case …stay fit!

13 minutes ago, Nemises said:

You said “bye bye” but YOU keep coming back lol. 😂 

Thanks for FINALLY answering! Good luck with that high jumping!!! That’s hilarious 😂 

Stay safe ..or in your case …stay fit!

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

BYE BYE!

You want to be the kettle or the pot 😎

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

You want to be the kettle or the pot 😎

What I want is to see videos of you at your high-jumping classes! 😂😂😂

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Apparently I didn't ... and sh!t happens.   You can minimize the risk, but certainly not eliminate it.  

Just have to fall back on ... "GOD is my co-pilot" or that amulet or tat.   What if, what if, what if ...

... What if, I lived in fear my whole life, and didn't enjoy living every aspect that I could.  That would kill my spirit and me, so why bother 'living' at all.

Someone killing me is the least of my problems, considering my past silliness, and yet, still didn't kill myself.

On topic ... is she crossed at the corner, this thread probably wouldn't exist.   There's that ... :coffee1:

How many news articles have there been every month where a motorist mows down a pedestrian at a cross walk where they have the right of way and traffic has a red light? It just doesn't work here. Should she have been at a corner or in a valid crosswalk yeah but when drivers have no spatial awareness of the consequences of their actions it doeant matter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nemises said:

What I want is to see videos of you at your high-jumping classes! 😂😂😂

You don't realize it, but your what if, is not applicable to my life.  As I would never be that MC, sitting lead at that intersection (hwy 4 & 326), aside from always traffic there, with an out of control vehicle ever coming close to me.

I never stop at that intersection, as simply time it, so I don't, from both directions.  Less for safety, but so I don't have to stop and put my feet down.   Long stretch of road on both sides, so there is NEVER a need to.

On the rare occasions I do stop (if 4 just turned green), it is away from the intersection, in the shade on side of the road, till light is about to change.  Few wait at the light in the sun.  I've assimilated to seeking out shade at all times.  

That's actually the only intersection where traffic is doing more than 30 or 40 kph.  People drive very rational here, and actually obey most laws, except the helmet, which isn't enforced, that often.  I've never seen a scooter accident on the road, or car oops in town.  Only car/truck accident on main hwy 4.   Complete opposite of Udon Thani, it was daily.  

If only the woman in the OP (staying on topic) did the same, and utilized crossing at the corner, when light in her favor.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dan O said:

How many news articles have there been every month where a motorist mows down a pedestrian at a cross walk where they have the right of way and traffic has a red light? It just doesn't work here. Should she have been at a corner or in a valid crosswalk yeah but when drivers have no spatial awareness of the consequences of their actions it doeant matter. 

None where I live.  

So by your reckoning, people should never cross the street, no matter.  Got it 

Thais will kill you, Thais will run you down, Thais can't drive ...

... I think more than a few of you need to leave.  Oh wait, you don't leave here anyway.

Good thing farangs / foreigner never make the news here :cheesy:

Here's a what if ... nobody posts negative about Thais or Thailand ....

image.png.5be3e610c969621c28defb81c2c27d8a.png

Edited by KhunLA

19 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

you can see this 90 year old women trying to cross this 2 lane road and getting hit by a truck which appears to be going too fast

There is no indication whatsoever in that video that the pickup in question was going too fast, the vehicle doesn't even appear in the video until the last few seconds.  It does appear that she may have crossed the road in front of the pickup in the opposite lane because, by holding her hand in the air, she appears to be trying to stop it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

How many news articles have there been every month where a motorist mows down a pedestrian at a cross walk where they have the right of way and traffic has a red light? It just doesn't work here.

Absolutely 100% true…. and here’s video proof!

Right at the start of video look for the 23 seconds left on the clock that the pedestrian has to safely cross the road with the traffic on a red light. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I think this is the key.  Thai people just think completely differently to Western people about these matters.  It doesn't even occur to them and they don't even think there is a problem.  The idea of preventing something, being proactive, or even reactive is a pretty foreign concept in Thailand.  They kind of just work/live to a different standard.

If you ask them about these problems the answer always seems to be "that's just how it is". It's a kind of slave mentality they the world happens to them and they can only respond. A good example is what happens when a traffic light stops working. They have no plan-B or ability to communicate with other each other. It's a free for all every man for himself situation. That's how thin the veneer of civility is in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There is no indication whatsoever in that video that the pickup in question was going too fast, the vehicle doesn't even appear in the video until the last few seconds.  It does appear that she may have crossed the road in front of the pickup in the opposite lane because, by holding her hand in the air, she appears to be trying to stop it.

Fair enough it's hard to tell from the choppy videos frames but I suspect (like the newscaster) the cars are going pretty fast because that's the norm and they didn't stop in time. There's a timer at the top and you can probably tell how many feet they were going per second if you really wanted to.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

... I think more than a few of you need to leave.  Oh wait, you don't leave here anyway.

he's making a totally fair point. Drivers here will absolutely run you down at zebra crossings if you don't watch out. Maybe you live in some rural area and you never saw it but I assure you it's' real.

Go to any large city and watch how Thai's handle crossing roads at zebra crossing. It's pathetic to see them put their hands up and then rush across the road really fast because they have a credible fear of getting hit. This is what I've seen with my own eyes for years.

5 hours ago, tandor said:

regardless of the lower speed limits pedestrians are still getting mowed down on a crossing or not..i see traffic here brake hard and veer to avoid a dog or frog, but humanoids seem to be fair game..what is wrong with their psychie!  RIP Khun Yai

Speaking of braking hard and veering he's another video I saw recently. The stupid taxi decides to cross the entire road at slow speed and the pickup (probably going way too fast as usual) veers and gets destroyed, kills 2. The taxi is unscathed. 

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

None where I live.  

So by your reckoning, people should never cross the street, no matter.  Got it 

Good thing farangs / foreigner never make the news here :cheesy:

Here's a what if ... nobody posts negative about Thais or Thailand ....

image.png.5be3e610c969621c28defb81c2c27d8a.png

Not sure what you talking nonsense about trying to deflect from facts, but you seem to do that when people don't agree.  then you try to play the Thai bashing card. Plenty of foreigners do stupid <deleted> here  too.

I never said anything about never crossing the street. I said it doesn't seem to matter when or where you cross at, thais are terrible drivers that don't follow rules of the road , signs or traffic lights or honor crosswalks on a regular basis, fact not bashing.

I live here and see it everyday and its in the news regularly. Come out to the real world and see it and read the news. In the mean time stick you head back in the sand or anywhere else you like. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Speaking of braking hard and veering he's another video I saw recently. The stupid taxi decides to cross the entire road at slow speed and the pickup (probably going way too fast as usual) veers and gets destroyed, kills 2. The taxi is unscathed. 

..nice of the two following SUVs to stop to render assistance..the dust hadn't settled as they barrelled on past.

On 5/5/2024 at 4:28 PM, KhunLA said:

Really.    Standard in Pennsylvania, USA is 15mph / 25kph.  And strictly enforced.

Some years back I looked up the vehicle codes for speed limits here in Pennsylvania.   I found that you are required to be driving at 15 mph when you enter the school zone.   At other speed zones you are allowed 500 feet to slow down to the posted speed limit, after passing the speed limit sign. 

On 5/5/2024 at 10:05 PM, NorthernRyland said:

I followed a motorcycle and found he was going 70k/hour

What people who drive cars and don't ride motorcycles don't realize is the fact that on a bike you see a lot more than when you sit in a car.

Obviously 70km/h might still be too fast. But if the rider concentrates on riding, then he will be a lot more aware of his surrounding compared to any driver in a car on the same road with the same speed.

Posted (edited)

One would think that at least one of those young men passing by on foot would have been kind enough to walk across the street and help the old lady to cross; but no, it's everyone for themselves around Thailand. Me me me me me.....the land of Me! I seriously doubt that any of those boys went to bed that night thinking they had blood on their hands for their lack of concern for the old lady. What a joke!

Edited by fittobethaied
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 11:15 PM, still kicking said:

Well in my city we have a speed limit of 40 in school zones for yonks 

In some countries / states, school zones are seriously monitored plus in one state I'm aware of vehicles cannot go over the marked school crossing more than 25 km hr. Plus all

must stop totally and wait when any pedestrian is about to step onto the markings on the road, and must wait until the pedestrians are safely on the opposite footpath area. Plus 24 hr cameras, which can be watched by anybody on the internet. 

Break the law and there's very serious punishment including license cancelled for life, jail. fines that will bankrupt the offender, and public shaming.