French woman's ฿100m Estate Under Investigation after Sudden Death in Thailand

image.jpeg

Reports about the ฿100 million bequest of a wealthy French woman, Catherine DeLacote, after her suicide in Thailand may have been premature. Lawyers managing her estate have imposed a media blackout until the content of her will and the total value of her property can be confirmed. The wealth thought to include vehicles, jewelry, bank accounts, and properties.

DeLacote, 59, infamously ended her life at her residence in Koh Samui, where her body was found by a pool attendant. Before her death, she had shrewdly disabled the CCTV to record her final moments. Her estate is speculated to include expensive properties like her hillside villa, an inland site, jewelry, cars and bank accounts, including possibly five villa properties she and her ex-husband developed. Experts value the estate to be nearly upwards of ฿50 million.

A note was left to her long-serving maid, Ms. Nutwalai Phupongta, known as 'Aunty Tim', stating that she was chosen as her executor and a bequest to her ex-husband. While the fortune left by DeLacote is still uncertain, lawyers administering her estate have restricted premature media reporting on the will's details.

DeLacote transferred money to her staff before her death and left ฿500,000 to 'Aunty Tim' for her funeral. As per Thai law, electronic communications cannot be construed as wills; hence confirmation of the value of her estate awaits the legal probate process. Her body has been sent to the Surat Thani province as part of the routine autopsy process under Thai law.

Picture via X (formerly twitter)

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

And the plot thicken, either the deceased wasn't in her right minds or completely detached from what things

really cost now days to leave 500k for a funeral unless it was for a royal, in any case, if i was related to the deceased

i would not leave a stone unturned to get to the bottom of this bizarre case...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

DeLacote, 59, infamously ended her life at her residence in Koh Samui, where her body was found by a pool attendant. Before her death, she had shrewdly disabled the CCTV to record her final moments. Her estate is speculated to include expensive properties like her hillside villa, an inland site, jewelry, cars and bank accounts, including possibly five villa properties she and her ex-husband developed. Experts value the estate to be nearly upwards of ฿50 million.

All for 50 Million baht ???

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

And the plot thicken, either the deceased wasn't in her right minds or completely detached from what things

really cost now days to leave 500k for a funeral unless it was for a royal, in any case, if i was related to the deceased

i would not leave a stone unturned to get to the bottom of this bizarre case...

100 % correct i would be doing the same

• Agree 1

I am wondering if she made a official will at a lawyer or notary.. In this case with so much money and assets it would be normal instead of writing down on a paper

48 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering if she made a official will at a lawyer or notary.. In this case with so much money and assets it would be normal instead of writing down on a paper

If it is just a note written before her death with no witnesses then it is not a legally binding will

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ronster said:

The police seemingly checked the camera video and it showed the woman moving the camera with a sweeping brush while facing it .

She may have been coerced by someone off camera holding a gun or knife

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

To my mind the police are not doing their job. The whole thing stinks of a setup. There is at least a 50% chance that she was threatened and coerced into moving the camera and forced to write the suicide note. The murderers not understanding that it cannot be a legal document and any will and testament is more valid.  Then the suicide was staged.  Also if she was suffering from pre senile dementia she might happily do as she was told. This stinks of corruption on many levels. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

34 minutes ago, RobU said:

She may have been coerced by someone off camera holding a gun or knife

They took their time doing it then as she sent out various messages to friends & family in the 24 hours before at various times and in the morning while sitting sending emails she was smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol before shooting herself.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Before her death, she had shrewdly disabled the CCTV to record her final moments"

That's very suspicious 

Agreed why would you do that ? I wonder if they checked the camera for fingerprints,  So is the bullet hole in a door, 2 shots fired 2 bullet casings found. Maid lives near by (i think) and didn't hear a thing. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ronster said:

They took their time doing it then as she sent out various messages to friends & family in the 24 hours before at various times and in the morning while sitting sending emails she was smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol before shooting herself.

Yes, why not? 24 hours is not a long time in hostage/kidnap situations. They had all the time in the world especially if it was the maid who screened visitors telling them that her very wealthy employer was not available. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1