Remembering your V8 Muscle car........

11 minutes ago, transam said:

But, are you a female member..........?  😉

All my female friends who drove "hot cars" drove Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs.  Most of them had straight 6's.  Except Jill.  Her Firebird had a 350.  It was as fine as she was, after she lost that weight.

They didn't go for the mid size cars like Chargers, Torinos and Chevelles.

41 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I had an '87 Corvette for a while.  After a few years the only times I drove it was to take it in for repairs.

Weeeell, you really must be able to tinker back then......😉

I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a three ninety six

Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor

She's waiting tonight down in the parking lot

Outside the Seven-Eleven store

***** With all due deference to “The Boss”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

All my female friends who drove "hot cars" drove Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs.  Most of them had straight 6's.  Except Jill.  Her Firebird had a 350.  It was as fine as she was, after she lost that weight.

They didn't go for the mid size cars like Chargers, Torinos and Chevelles.

We mustn't talk about 6 pots in Muscle cars.......🤫

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh no, not an EV deaf guy...............🤣

Sone of us migrate to faster, more comfortable, quieter cars

And some drive Celerios.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

In the UK I had a Jensen Interceptor SP mk3

440 cub in with Holley 4 barrel and Chrysler Torqueflyte transmission …

I too had a 73 Mk III Jensen Interceptor.  Mine had the 4 barrel carb - the SP stood for 6 pack - and had 3 double barrel carbs - you probably did not have an SP.

the 2 best days of my Jensen ownership were the day I bought it, and the day I sold it!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, transam said:

We mustn't talk about 6 pots in Muscle cars.......

Shouldn't talk about chicks, either...

'Cept maybe that one who used to show up at the track with the bumper sticker "You beat me, you eat me".  I don't think she ever lost.  But 99.9% of the mechanics and grease monkeys (where I categorize myself) were guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeeell, you really must be able to tinker back then......😉

I had lost custody of all my tools in a divorce.  A little hard to drop the exhaust system in the apartment parking lot.  It leaked in the rain pretty bad too.

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

I bought this one new..

I still own it... 43 years later.

It's been a garage Queen for the last 23 years

P8290031.JPG

P8230020.JPG

P8230017.JPG

Alberta plate?

34 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Sone of us migrate to faster, more comfortable, quieter cars

And some drive Celerios.

Then read the thread title and move on to the EV threads, there's more girlie driving stuff over there...........😘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, G Rex said:

After a 79 Range Rover , and the Interceptor - I discovered proper V8s.

I had a 66 Mustang GT, a 70 Mach 1 , and a 73 Mach 1 . I then had a succession of Aussie V8 Ford Performance Vehicles - before more S550 mustangs , finally with a 2017 Shelby Super Snake ….    Sold them all before moving to Thailand 😭😭

IMG_2076.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg

B45C0813 copy.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2552.jpeg

My chum in the UK has an Aussie 360ci Plymouth Barracuda, I rebuilt the engine for him must be 20 years back, he still has it, he's now retired in Cornwall......🤗

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Yet you still felt the need to compensate with a comment on this thread...     

....Always amusing when people contradict their intention with comments such as yours above, eh pewee !!!    :giggle:

Some on here can't help it.........🤔

1 minute ago, transam said:

Any interesting engine stories.....?

I bought my 73 Mach 1 while on a driving holiday in the US.  Bought it from a bloke parked outside the Charlotte Speedway (NC) . Shipped it home to Oz  - drove it for 3 miles, and it stopped . Couldn’t get it to start again - but would crank happily. Eventually realized the dizzy wasn’t spinning - so no spark - the problem? The oil pump drive shaft was broken- which should have been rotating the distributor shaft. Thankfully a reasonably easy fix - just drop the sump and replace oil pickup and pump. Easy job - just hard diagnostics!

• Like 1

When I was younger, and living in Europe, I had a BMW.

I had watched the movie Smokey and the Bandit, and I would have loved to have that Trans Am or something like that.

Then I met an American soldier who had a Trans Am in America. He really wanted a BMW like my one. 

We both agreed we would like to swap our cars right away if we could.

That was maybe 35 years ago, and it was an "I want that" situation. We never thought about really trying to ship our cars to another continent. 

Smokey and the Bandit Car: The Real Pontiac Bandit

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I bought my 73 Mach 1 while on a driving holiday in the US.  Bought it from a bloke parked outside the Charlotte Speedway (NC) . Shipped it home to Oz  - drove it for 3 miles, and it stopped . Couldn’t get it to start again - but would crank happily. Eventually realized the dizzy wasn’t spinning - so no spark - the problem? The oil pump drive shaft was broken- which should have been rotating the distributor shaft. Thankfully a reasonably easy fix - just drop the sump and replace oil pickup and pump. Easy job - just hard diagnostics!

Didn't Ford use a hex drive, which I thought was a bit odd, as we all know about Allen key problems........😱

• Thumbs Up 1

1958 Chrys 300D convert (hemi)

1953 Studebaker pick up I hemi'd - weighed in @ 2256 pounds of which 750 was engine - Fast

1964 Chev Malibu SS convert 300hp/327ci

1974 Monte Carlo SS - honorable mention....

After that I switched over to a different trap, 4x4's - horses (and all the crap that comes along with that) - snowmobiles -  an Airstream - boat....

Life was simpler without all that stuff....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

In 1972 I bought a 1970 Corvette Convertible (350/350). I was 22 yo and didn't have rich parents.I walked for 3 years to save up a large (then) down payment. Sold it after only 2 years when I left the Navy to attend trade college.I scared myself a couple times with the performance considering the HP/weight ratio. I got more for it than I paid.It was a real chick magnet for sure.I only have 1 pic of the thing.   

1970 C3.jpg

Nice.......:clap2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

I too had a 73 Mk III Jensen Interceptor.  Mine had the 4 barrel carb - the SP stood for 6 pack - and had 3 double barrel carbs - you probably did not have an SP.

the 2 best days of my Jensen ownership were the day I bought it, and the day I sold it!

I think mine was 73 too, it was badged JensenSP and had the fluted bonnet.  Now you mention it, someone told me it had a 4 barrel carb, but I can’t swear to it, I didn’t open the bonnet much and didn’t know anything about yank engines. I remember it was a bitch in hot traffic jams.

I was in my early 20’s and dealing in cars at the time. I bought it with 36,000 miles on it, repainted it and trebled my money on it after driving it 9 months.

I did have a few minor problems with it but my cousin was parts manager for Jensen at the time and shipped them FOC to me.

I took it back in part-exchange a couple of years later and was really disappointed how it had deteriorated.  The cherry red leather was shot and the silver bonnet had yellowed on the flutes.

I really enjoyed owning that car.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I was younger, and living in Europe, I had a BMW.

I had watched the movie Smokey and the Bandit, and I would have loved to have that Trans Am or something like that.

Then I met an American soldier who had a Trans Am in America. He really wanted a BMW like my one. 

We both agreed we would like to swap our cars right away if we could.

That was maybe 35 years ago, and it was an "I want that" situation. We never thought about really trying to ship our cars to another continent. 

Smokey and the Bandit Car: The Real Pontiac Bandit

Did you know that that car had less than 200HP. Looks like a '79, I bought a '76 400, it had even less, a far cry from the early stock '70's Trans, with well over 300HP....😢

It took me a while to get my now 413 to lay some rubber and get into the 11's....😋

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think mine was 73 too, it was badged JensenSP and had the fluted bonnet.  Now you mention it, someone told me it had a 4 barrel carb, but I can’t swear to it, I didn’t open the bonnet much and didn’t know anything about yank engines. I remember it was a bitch in hot traffic jams.

I was in my early 20’s and dealing in cars at the time. I bought it with 36,000 miles on it, repainted it and trebled my money on it after driving it 9 months.

I did have a few minor problems with it but my cousin was parts manager for Jensen at the time and shipped them FOC to me.

I took it back in part-exchange a couple of years later and was really disappointed how it had deteriorated.  The cherry red leather was shot and the silver bonnet had yellowed on the flutes.

It probably had a Carter AFB 4 barrel carb....🤗......Folk did fool around with changing to a Holley carb...😋

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

"It probably had a Carter AFB 4 barrel carb....🤗......Folk did fool around with changing to a Holley carb...😋"

The original Carb was 4 Barrel Carter Thermoquad (750cfm) - but many owners (including myself) swapped to Holly 850s for a bit more oomph & better cold starts.

The main source of problems with the Jensen was the electrical system. (Lord Lucas - The Prince Of Darkness).

It was not a great car in Australia , if the temperature was more than 20C, and you were doing less than 50kph it would boil - every time!!!

Edited by G Rex

I had;

68 Firebird 400

66 Chevelle SS 396

70 Camaro SS 350

69 GTO Judge

82 Mustang GT 5.0

84 Mustang GT 5.0

88 IROC Z Camaro

90 ZR1 Corvette 

94 Cobra Mustang

14 Camaro SS RS

and currently have a 2019 Challenger 5.7L RT in the US

Engine stories? As a teenager I completely rebuilt the engine of the Firebird 400. It was a convertible so slightly de-tuned vs the same vintage GTO. I discovered that the major difference was the cam shaft, and installed a GTO spec cam upping the horsepower by 25.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Did you know that that car had less than 200HP. Looks like a '79, I bought a '76 400, it had even less, a far cry from the early stock '70's Trans, with well over 300HP....😢

It took me a while to get my now 413 to lay some rubber and get into the 11's....😋

At that time my BMW 323i had 145HP or something in that 140 region. It was a lot of fun.

I think the world is going crazy with all those absurd HP numbers. Who needs that? Who can handle it? As far as I see for 90% of drivers 100HP max is more than enough.