Whats the legal age of consent in Thailand. Its confusing.

9 hours ago, Phat Dawg said:

But in this particular arrangement it can only be one reason the girl is interested in him. It's fine if that pure business exchange works for him, but it also means if he ever loses his wallet, or she finds a bigger better deal, he's gonna lose the girl too. So things are already off on a dodgy footing. But he's obviously not anywhere near the first to take the red pill and by far has no chance of ever being the last. 

Is that your personal experience or is that your theoretical explanation how the situation must be, because somehow your logic tells you so.

Maybe talk to people who are in such relationships, and maybe you will discover that it's not as simple as you think it must be.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, advancebooking said:

A mate of mine is aged in 40s. He told me an 18 year old is interested in him. In western countries I think this is not a problem. But here I wasn't sure. I told him I thought it was 20 years old. 

If he got involved with this girl and it went pear shaped is he in a spot of bother? He has checked her id card. She is 100% 18 yrs old. 

Not interested in moral opinions, only legal. 

Parents can sue him if they disagree to the relationship so he better be VERY careful about what he is doing.

5 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

It is not as cut and dried as you want everyone to believe... there are qualifiers in place that alter your black and white perspective... yes... the legal age of consent is 15...

The OP's question was "What is the legal age of consent" (in relation to his friend's situation), that's all, so the answer to his question is cut and dried in that context...it is 15.    That is all that I was commenting on.          

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, susanlea said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is not illegal, as the link that you provided, ironically and clearly, confirms.  I am not giving advice, as you falsely claim, I am answering the OP's question, nothing more.  From your own link...

"What is the Thailand Age of Consent?

The Age of Consent in Thailand is 15 years old".

Expand  

You left out the important bit

No, I did not leave out anything relevant to the specific question, the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15.  The term 'age of consent' specifically refers to the minimum age at which a person is considered legally competent to provide consent for engaging in sexual acts and that's what he asked about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah yes, the old "my mate" story. My mate ended up with a ladyboy, is he gay? My mate has a dripping sore on his schvantz, should he see the Dr.?

My mate got caught sodomizing the Sukhumvit worm guy, what should he do?

OK..."mate", have at the little minx, shes legal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

Despite what anyone might decide is or isn't the legal age for sex the plain fact is that having sex with an under 18 year old in modern day Thailand, paid or unpaid, opens you up to the possibility of huge expense, imprisonment or both. 

If the girl happened to be the daughter of a Thai with “standing” and money who did not approve it might even be sensible to shy away if she was 19, though 18 is fine 99.999% of the time. (Of course, I am only referring to possible “legal” repercussions).

It's a fact. Bear it in mind.

"Despite what anyone might decide is or isn't the legal age for sex..."

The age of consent is not "something that anyone can decide", it is laid down in law and that age is 15.  That is the answer to the question that was asked and that question did not include any qualifications to consider.  It's a fact. Bear it in mind.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Puccini said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Prostitution, i.e. paying for sex, is not illegal, certain specifics of the activity are, though.  

The OP did not ask about proof of consent, did he?

No, and I did not say that he did.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know there is some condition that the parents can complain, as far as I know if she is below 18. But maybe it is if she is below 20. Better check! 

AFAIK, At eighteen years old he is in the clear and the parents have no hold or recourse within the law.

I would say at 18 he has no worries, if we get involved with the 15 being the legal age, it can be a can of worms and I believe the girls parents can cry ' foul ' between the ages of 15–18 years old and make serious problems.

In Thailand, the age of consent is 15 years old, meaning that anyone under 15 years old cannot legally consent to sexual activity. Sexual intercourse with a child under 15 is criminalized, with or without consent. 

The punishment for sexual intercourse with a girl under 15 is 4–20 years in prison and a fine of 8,000–40,000 Baht. If the victim is under 13, the punishment is 7–20 years in prison and a fine of 14,000–40,000 Baht, or life in prison.

Source: https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/legal-age-of-consent-in-thailand/

Who else other than other 15 year olds would want to have a relationship with another 15 year old?  I have 2 15 year olds and they're definitely not interested in sex or even relationships for that matter!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

And then the next question is why the need for underage when 18 to 25 is as hot as most men are going to need?

I don't think anyone is actually suggesting they might be interested in anyone under 18. It seems that the OP wanted to know if his friend would be alright legally with an 18 year old, but chose to word it as a question about what the age of consent is.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Don´t care about that. Your friend is a loser that can´t find a women of his own age in his country. So, just have to travel to see poor young girl to fulfill his dreams. that´s the essence of a pervert.

Love it! My girl is 26 younger than me (kind of a Michael Douglas -Katherine Zeta Jones thingy). Yes, all depends … we did not meet until past our primes.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

Despite what anyone might decide is or isn't the legal age for sex the plain fact is that having sex with an under 18 year old in modern day Thailand, paid or unpaid, opens you up to the possibility of huge expense, imprisonment or both. 

If the girl happened to be the daughter of a Thai with “standing” and money who did not approve it might even be sensible to shy away if she was 19, though 18 is fine 99.999% of the time. (Of course, I am only referring to possible “legal” repercussions).

It's a fact. Bear it in mind.

100% correct

And @spidermike007 and @impulse added the risk of persecution in home country.  In my country,  that's a very real risk.

And for LiverpoolLou: the term "age of consent" is not defined in Thai law, its not a legal term. It's just an expression that English websites use, and they construct it from Thai laws by comparing them to arbitrarily selected Anglosaxon laws.

They could just as well write "the legal age in Thailand is 18", it would also be only 50% true. But it would at least be what every Thai I know thinks. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Love it! My girl is 26 younger than me (kind of a Michael Douglas -Katherine Zeta Jones thingy). Yes, all depends … we did not meet until past our primes.

How much do you pay her every month to be in a relationship with you?

Edited by Celsius
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, advancebooking said:

A mate of mine is aged in 40s. He told me an 18 year old is interested in him. In western countries I think this is not a problem. But here I wasn't sure. I told him I thought it was 20 years old. 

If he got involved with this girl and it went pear shaped is he in a spot of bother? He has checked her id card. She is 100% 18 yrs old. 

Not interested in moral opinions, only legal. 

I hope this connection will be for lifetime 🙏

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, advancebooking said:

duh. read above. He saw the id card. Cant get better evidence than that. 

dude, you need to check the meaning of the term consent

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As if a guy who is with a older gal does not pay. Alot of delusion on this topic. We all pay, one way or another. 

Maybe you. I dont. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Same here, 50 and 24.....when we met 18 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a different age in a "prostitution establishment", e g if you pay for sex. 15-18 yo is the confusion.

Section 8: Anyone who has sexual intercourse with or acts otherwise against a person over the age of 15 but under 18 in a prostitution establishment, with or without their consent, will be imprisoned for up to 3 years and fined between 20,000 to 60,000 THB.