Transfer of current permission of stay to another, used passport

I am aware that it is possible for Thai immigration to transfer permission to stay stamps from an old passport to a new one. However, my friend has a slightly different issue.

The UK passport that hosts his current stay through 22 June (enabled by a Non-O) is badly damaged. The biometric data chip won't be readable when he presents it to immigration on departure or arrival at his destination. He does have another valid but not new UK passport. He is wondering if immigration will transfer the remaining +6 weeks permission to stay to this other used passport so that departure scans here and arrival scans at the destination will be OK. The biodata page and stamps in the damaged passport are all undamaged, just the 'machine-readable' functionality is gone. He says he plans on replacing the damaged passport when he visits the UK this summer.

Can the stamp be moved by his local immigration office, or is that done by airport immigration on departure from BKK?

I guess the other (easier?) option would be to apply for a replacement for the damaged one at VFS in Bangkok while he's still here, but that may depend on their turnaround time? I think four weeks is the best I have seen from a few months back.

Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine any advantage to try and do anything at immigration before leaving.  If he's worried they wont let him leave then equally they wont want to transfer anything.  If it's only the chip that is damaged (front cover or back, can't recall) but the photo page (that is the thing that is "machine readable") is intact then I don't see a problem leaving, and certainly not arriving in the UK.  If he's intending to go elsewhere then a new passport might be a good idea, but even then the application process for a damaged passport is not necessarily the same as for a well kept one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I guess the other (easier?) option would be to apply for a replacement for the damaged one at VFS in Bangkok while he's still here, but that may depend on their turnaround time?

This is his only option.

The earlier suggestion in OP will not work.

Not sure of current turn around for UK pp.

There is recent thread. Will have a look. Hopefully some UK guy can update.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

They can. 

Ok, I rest my case. Once again, the UK is different. It´s them that should have the t-shirt "Same Same, but different"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, I rest my case. Once again, the UK is different. It´s them that should have the t-shirt "Same Same, but different"

Certainly not the only country.

Many allow "regular" pp along with "business" pp.

In any event slightly off topic. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

This is his only option

Not if, as suggested by @Upnotover might be the case, the OP's pal's passport photo page is still machine-readable. If it is, then his best course of action would be to exit Thailand on his defective passport and then re-enter on his second passport with a 30-day visa exemption which he can then convert to a 90-day non-O visa at his local immigration office before resuming his annual extensions of stay.

Definitely better any day than having to submit himself to the awful ghastliness of the UK passport renewal procedures from Thailand IMHO!

Edited by OJAS

Posted (edited)

It is unlikely that immigration will transfer anything from the damaged passport to a non new passport.

His case is not at all usual and maybe unique.

His difficulty is exiting Thailand with a damaged passport, you say that the biodata page is undamaged. The machine readable section of the passport is the 2 lines of characters at the bottom of the biodata page, which you say are totally fine.

The data on the chip is a cross check for the machine readable characters on the biodata page. It is certainly possible that a damaged chip may require him to get a new passport to exit. It is also equally possible that Thai immigration will ignore the chip as long as it’s clear that the passport is genuine. 

You are unlikely to find anyone else who has the same problem so a visit immigration is the only real answer 

My advice would be to go directly to his local immigration office and ask for their take on the situation.

once he has left Thailand there is zero chance of a problem as he then uses his undamaged passport.

FWIW I just replaced my passport in the U.K. it took 4 working days from application to having it in my hand.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

How can he have 2 valid UK passports at the same time? When you get a new one, they cancel the old one.

It's a concurrent passport.

He must work offshore or similar. 

I'm an Australian and have 2 valid passports (concurrent), at times I'm required to send a passport off to obtain a work visa for a country that my offshore rig is working in. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

This is his only option.

Not sure of current turn around for UK pp.

There is recent thread. Will have a look. Hopefully some UK guy can update.

October of last year (2023) i obtained a new UK passport in exactly 2 weeks, using an agent, that was from dropping it off to picking it up!

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I am aware that it is possible for Thai immigration to transfer permission to stay stamps from an old passport to a new one. However, my friend has a slightly different issue.

The UK passport that hosts his current stay through 22 June (enabled by a Non-O) is badly damaged. The biometric data chip won't be readable when he presents it to immigration on departure or arrival at his destination. He does have another valid but not new UK passport. He is wondering if immigration will transfer the remaining +6 weeks permission to stay to this other used passport so that departure scans here and arrival scans at the destination will be OK. The biodata page and stamps in the damaged passport are all undamaged, just the 'machine-readable' functionality is gone. He says he plans on replacing the damaged passport when he visits the UK this summer.

Can the stamp be moved by his local immigration office, or is that done by airport immigration on departure from BKK?

I guess the other (easier?) option would be to apply for a replacement for the damaged one at VFS in Bangkok while he's still here, but that may depend on their turnaround time? I think four weeks is the best I have seen from a few months back.

Thanks in advance.

I did it at chaengwatthana last year using a 10 months old (newer second passport) I also printed out the UK Embassy letter (think it was in both Thai and English language) which I downloaded from the UK embassy website, that stated they no longer issue transfer visa request letters. No problem at Immigration 

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

How can he have 2 valid UK passports at the same time? When you get a new one, they cancel the old one.

Off shore workers ect can have 2 valid British passports at same time 1 for  work ,and  1 personal pleasure I believe

On 5/6/2024 at 9:33 PM, NanLaew said:

Can the stamp be moved by his local immigration office

Just have his stamp transferred to his other passport, just the same as if it were a new one.

8 hours ago, Liquorice said:

... Can the stamp be moved by his local immigration office

Just have his stamp transferred to his other passport, just the same as if it were a new one.

But...

On 5/6/2024 at 9:53 PM, DrJack54 said:

... I guess the other (easier?) option would be to apply for a replacement for the damaged one at VFS in Bangkok while he's still here, but that may depend on their turnaround time?

This is his only option.

Maybe he should go ask at his local immigration office.

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe he should go ask at his local immigration office.

Immigration won't transfer the stamp. However no harm in asking. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Immigration won't transfer the stamp. However no harm in asking. 

It definitely doesn't hurt to ask.

It was a few years back, but I've done almost what our OP is asking (one PP was about to expire rather than damaged).

Chaeng Watthana immigration transferred the stamps with only a minor query as to why. I told them I was letting one PP expire as I no longer required both for business travel.

Stamp, stamp, stamp - done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess it might work with printing the letter from UK embassy that they do not issue letters anymore to move stamps to a new passport. But if his second passport he want to move to has stamps that he has been traveling or the issue date is long time ago I guess there might be a problem to move it. 

On 5/6/2024 at 9:57 PM, Gottfrid said:

There are exceptions to this many Brit’s hold 2.

For all those that question having 2 passports you'd be surprised how easy it is to obtain a second one.

They are linked tho, immigration will know you have 2.

As one guy mentions you're travelling on one whilst the other may be in another embassy for a visa application elsewhere.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:57 PM, Gottfrid said:

What additional passports are

This section tells His Majesty’s Passport Office staff about additional (more than 1) passports.

HM Passport Office does not usually allow more than 1 passport per person but may issue additional passports to customers who:

• have a genuine need for one and can provide evidence to show it

• meet the criteria in this guidance

We must issue all additional passports in the same name and have the same observations as the original passport we issued unless:

• the customer has a title or title observation, which must only be included in one of the passports

• this guidance tells you otherwise, for example, when some dual nationals travel to incompatible countries

We commonly refer to additional passports as ‘second’ passports, but we may consider issuing the customer with more than 2 (on a case by case basis). If a customer asks for 3 or more valid passports and has a genuine need for them, a Higher Executive Officer (HEO) or someone senior must authorise it.

We must refuse an application for an additional passport, if:

• we have concerns with a customer’s entitlement, nationality or identity

• the customer cannot clearly prove they have a genuine need for one (in line with this guidance)

On 5/6/2024 at 11:05 PM, Gottfrid said:

Aren't you from Sweden?

If so, then according to this post, you're just as "same same" as your favourite nationality... 

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/countries-that-issue-multiple-passports

6 hours ago, JayClay said:

Aren't you from Sweden?

If so, then according to this post, you're just as "same same" as your favourite nationality... 

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/countries-that-issue-multiple-passports

Yes, I am. However, never needed that <deleted>, so haven´t even heard about it. But, this is great. Now I am much wiser.