You have to have a motorbike

georgegeorgia

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big bikes are more dangerous than scooters because you'll end up going faster and speed kills, we all know that

You can get trapped with scooters, I have seen it several times. 

It is all about skills and luck and an food angel wouldnt hurt.

We live today, and die another day

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Shouldn't get trapped with any bike if have enough knowledge and skill, the bigger the bike the faster you'll probably go, that's the point

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I live in a great location right in middle of pattya between 2nd road and beach road...walking distance to buahkaow or walking street area or to naklua area....baht buses easy as pie to catch going naklua direction on second road or walking st and on to jomtien on beach road....also tons of bolt around if want....

i do miss riding a motobike as i did it for years but ultimately as you get older and not as good balance or as good eyesight etc etc it is just not worth the risk anymore...plus way too many drunks and idiots riding around pattaya so even if ride with extreme care you can and eventually probably willl get whacked...

good news is patttaya has a great transport system of baht buses and bolt so really do not much need a bike or a car....i may pay a bit more for my condo location but it is worth it to me to have such a great location.

If you haven't got a choice, fair enough, but it's obviously better to be able to go further afield. I lived off beach road/2nd road, good for a couple years

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shouldn't get trapped with any bike if have enough knowledge and skill, the bigger the bike the faster you'll probably go, that's the point

Speed and power is good

• Sad 1

I been there 15 times.  I love walking around.  The baht buses go everywhere I need to go.  I am there on holiday.  No rush.  For the times I need to go direct point to point I hop on a motorcycle taxi.  Now it is great when my buddy is in town and we can motor about to the further parts of the city, go down sukhumvit, etc.  For long permanent stays a motorbike or scooter can be great.  But I would not go on the freeway with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

For long permanent stays a motorbike or scooter can be great.  But I would not go on the freeway with it.

Neither  are allowed on the motorway.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I like the freedom that having a motorbike gives me. Sure, you can always take a grab point to point or take a baht bus along certain routes, but you are still somewhat limited doing that and still end up living in a local walkable bubble a lot of the time.  It changes how you live day to day and I prefer to just go wherever I want however far and out of the way it is, whenever I feel like it.  Also, it's often easier to ride a bike somewhere than to walk a short distance, because of how some sidewalks are such a pain in the ass to walk on.  Either because of obstacles or because they are narrow and you have to constantly dodge groups of east Indians or Russians with their baby stroller or whatever

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

I like the freedom that having a motorbike gives me. Sure, you can always take a grab point to point or take a baht bus along certain routes, but you are still somewhat limited doing that and still end up living in a local walkable bubble a lot of the time.  It changes how you live day to day and I prefer to just go wherever I want however far and out of the way it is, whenever I feel like it.  Also, it's often easier to ride a bike somewhere than to walk a short distance, because of how some sidewalks are such a pain in the ass to walk on.  Either because of obstacles or because they are narrow and you have to constantly dodge groups of east Indians or Russians with their baby stroller or whatever

motorbikes no doubt provide a lot of freedom and allow you to easily visit places off the beaten path....i do miss them but one accident with a broken collarbone and very lucky not worse was enough for me to give up that freedom...but i do sometimes miss it.

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Another one. But do t worry folks, it’s “safe to drive a motorbike in Thailand”. 

I agree that being in a car is safer, as you have a safety cage around you. 

You cannot predict when some moron will run a red light. But that too is part of being an alert defensive driver/rider.  More so when on a bike. 

I don't just do an obligatory glance when riding. Its more of a scan... looking for possible trouble/idiots.  And it's not always directly in your area.  It can be 4 or 5 vehicles away.  Try and have an escape plan. 

Everything in life has an element of risk involved.  It all depends as an individual on the amount you're willing to accept.  Would I run a red light here?  No way, in fact not in any country. 

When on a bike I always:

Ride to the conditions

Follow the rules

Wear safety gear (minimum footwear and helmet) 

Leave the booze alone. 

I've ridden bikes since a teenager, I'm now 62.  Only been in 2 accidents, both minor and due to my inexperience/stupidity. 

If you don't feel safe with what you're doing then don't do it.  That doesn't just relate to bikes. 

Hopefully I'll be riding bikes for a few more years to come.  Roads here don't scare me yet, maybe later they will.  Some drivers I've seen lately could make that occur sooner. 

You'll never catch me riding in Pattaya.  I'm not use to that place and from what I've seen is (to me) organised chaos.  Risk factor too high. 

Each to their own! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big bikes are more dangerous than scooters because you'll end up going faster and speed kills, we all know that

Appropriately, and judiciously used power and speed (acceleration) can get one out of trouble, sometimes better than brake application.

"Speed" per se does not kill --- it is INAPROPRIATE speed which kills.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Hardly. I've ridden big bikes since I was 17 and consider the power and speed is what allowed me to get out more trouble than it got me into

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, 5davidhen1 said:

Appropriately, and judiciously used power and speed (acceleration) can get one out of trouble

you shouldn't be in trouble in the first place, poor riding

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Hardly. I've ridden big bikes since I was 17 and consider the power and speed is what allowed me to get out more trouble than it got me into

haha another poor rider getting in trouble all the time

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

haha another poor rider getting in trouble all the time

It's okay, we understand some people just don't have the skill to ride a 150cc Scooter. That's why they made cars for you uncoordinated people 😉

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

It's okay, we understand some people just don't have the skill to ride a 150cc Scooter. That's why they made cars for you uncoordinated people 😉

I don't get into trouble, guys like you that do, frequently, need to improve your riding skill

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't get into trouble, guys like you that do, frequently, need to improve your riding skill

Ok, but I've never had an accident in 40 years of riding 750/1100/1200cc motorcycles

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I have never felt that a motorbike/car was an option for me in Thailand for some reason. Just seems like it has too many issues/hassles for me to want to deal with. I'm already doing 90 day reports, dealing with flaky landlords, etc, one more hassle becomes bigger then it looks.

Glad I don't have to deal with that kind of stuff when I move, just get up and go. That leaves inner city living and walking a lot, which I'm still comfortable with.

I have always felt my living situation was unstable at best here (even on an an annual lease). That's a big factor. If I bought a residence things would be different because I'm dug in. I would have the parking spot, stable address for registration, etc.

I do miss driving very much and enjoy it whenever I return to the Usa.

Edited by JimTripper

Posted (edited)

I think many of your questions reflect this lack of stability in living situation.

Whereas, in your home country it's not big deal to get that car. Here, with the language issues, the us/them stuff in an accident, immigration and license hoopla, it becomes more difficult to settle in as an expat. Maybe that's why your asking so many questions about basic living tasks, whereas in your home country it's a no brainer.

The system here is kind of setup to keep people from digging in and colonizing the place. It just takes more energy.

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

You'll never know...  especially if on a the highway...   you can end up in the left lane between two trucks, thats not a position any rider likes to be in.... on a larger bike you can squeeze the throttle and exit that situation. 

Alternatively, on a scooter you are stuck on the non-road part of the frontage, that some people believe is the motorcycle lane and IMO thats even more hazardous... 

This whole big-bike, small bike debate depends a lot on where you are riding, what type of roads etc... 

There is also the visibility factor - I've ridden ADV bikes in Thailand and scooters...  

When on a scooter, no one sees you - you are ignored and just another poor pleb who doesn't matter.

If on a larger bike, you are noticed more - you are not ignored you are wealthier and not another pleb who doesn't matter.

This makes a difference in Thailand where peoples subconsciousness impacts how visible you are.

That said: Riding around a tight town, small roads with heavy traffic, lane filtering etc - its just a lot easier on a scooter. 

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

When on a scooter, no one sees you - you are ignored and just another poor pleb who doesn't matter.

If on a larger bike, you are noticed more

Only in your mind.

Perhaps its in my mind....   impossible to know for sure - I know I recevied a little more 'raod respect' on a larger bike than on a scooter.

I also noticed the same when driving a large expensive SUV compared to a very small car - I nearly had more accidents in the smaller car, as I'd drive in a similar manner...   i.e. in heavy Bangkok traffic, having to nudge out of a junction and 'force' my way in, or trying to change lanes... a lot of drivers would just not want to give way to the smaller car to the point of nearly hitting me.

On my 160 i can do 100 easy, easy enough and in the example above you shouldn't be in that situation in the first place, you have mirrors and can view what's coming around you.

I agree - a rider should never be in that circumstance as about - lots of people saying shoulda, coulda...  the fact is situations exist whereby a little power helps you 'get out of a spot'....   

Riding along at 80kmh, lorry behind you... feeder lane joining, you see another lorry trying to join ahead of you... are you going to accelerate into the right hand lane on a scooter ??...  and join the traffic going 100-110kmh ?...  its not going to happen, you'll get trapped.

On a larger bike you can squeeze the throttle and exit the situation with far greater ease...   any experienced rider will tell you the same thing, I don't know why 'as a rider' you'd dispute this. 

I see guys with big bikes just shouldn't have them, not skillful enough

Perhaps.... but thats a different point - plenty of people on scooter that should never be riding either.

I'll go back to my original point: More powerful capable bikes are far safer for highway and open road riding than scooters.

Scooters are a lot more practical around town...  I wouldn't want to ride one at highway speeds.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Hummin said:

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You'll never know...  especially if on a the highway...   you can end up in the left lane between two trucks, thats not a position any rider likes to be in.... on a larger bike you can squeeze the throttle and exit that situation. 

Alternatively, on a scooter you are stuck on the non-road part of the frontage, that some people believe is the motorcycle lane and IMO thats even more hazardous... 

This whole big-bike, small bike debate depends a lot on where you are riding, what type of roads etc... 

There is also the visibility factor - I've ridden ADV bikes in Thailand and scooters...  

If on a larger bike, you are noticed more - you are not ignored you are wealthier and not another pleb who doesn't matter.

This makes a difference in Thailand where peoples subconsciousness impacts how visible you are.

That said: Riding around a tight town, small roads with heavy traffic, lane filtering etc - its just a lot easier on a scooter. 

Sounds like the same justifications I've heard for making bikes loud and annoying sounding.  If you people are so concerned with safety why are you usually wearing salad bowls for a helmet, or sometimes no helmet at all?

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

Sounds like the same justifications I've heard for making bikes loud and annoying sounding.  If you people are so concerned with safety why are you usually wearing salad bowls for a helmet, or sometimes no helmet at all?

Thats because you lack the critical thought to identify the difference....    and you've highlighted this with some strange accusation that 'you people wear salad bowls for a helmet or sometimes not helmet at all'...    thats some very odd strawmanship... 

You clearly didn't even think before putting finger to keypad...   

Those riding 'bigger motorcycles' are most commonly those with the best safety kit... 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

Yes, 150-160 is fine for the vast majority of people the vast majority of time.  The only time a bigger bike is justified is for lots of long distance travel that may include roads that don't allow smaller bikes.  The larger gas tank also helps.  Most of the big bike people I see around town don't look like they ever do that.  People can and do go long distances on 150-160 bikes all the time.  I've seen videos of guys on youtube going from Pattaya all the way to Phuket on a 160.  I would never do that but I may go from Pattaya to Hua Hin some day. 

There roads in Thailand, on which smaller bikes are not permitted but bigger bikes are ?  :whistling:

You watched that on a Youtube video too ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1