Is there a 2nd hand market for original watches within Thailand ??

Chivas

Posted (edited)

I've got 2 absolutely mint Tag Heuer watches both F1 which franky are sitting in boxes unworn

One watch I've worn 5 times in three years (funerals weddings) and the other just once lol in same period

They are sat in secure drawer frankly doing nothing !  Whilst not high end designer watches per se both are 23% more expensive new today for identical watch

Edited by Chivas

Fakes are rife here in LOS, so any prospective purchaser would need to be very confident of the honesty of the seller - before parting with their cash.

I have purchased several watches from the 'Chrono24' website. I see that you can also list watches for sale there - but I have no firsthand experience. 

If you have the "full set", meaning box and paperwork and if they were purchased in Thailand (VAT) then I think that there are reliable shops in Bangkok that might buy them. Don´t expect to make a profit on them though.

10 minutes ago, IronByron said:

If you have the "full set", meaning box and paperwork and if they were purchased in Thailand (VAT) then I think that there are reliable shops in Bangkok that might buy them. Don´t expect to make a profit on them though.

Yes have full paperwork original invoices etc etc but they were purchased in the UK

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Suitable only for LtGen and below.

Very good took me 5 minutes to work out what you meant !

• Haha 1

there is a market for everything in Thailand 

List it on Facebook, meet up in person and go to Tag dealership together. Most shops will authenticate it for a fee.

Just now, Celsius said:

there is a market for everything in Thailand 

List it on Facebook, meet up in person and go to Tag dealership together. Most shops will authenticate it for a fee.

Yes or course

Could we put to bed though any thoughts on authenticity for purposes of the thread itself

I remember second hand genuine watch shops on floor 2? of MBK and second floor of Fortunetown. There are sellers in Kaidee that post watches they have for sale (both new and used) so maybe you could reach out to them.

Having them in Thailand without having paid importing duties and VAT on them though could be a hindrance to some shops, but I guess not many.

I was actually looking into Tag just today at Jomashop.com. As prices of used watches in Thailand are about the same as new ones abroad...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

I've got 2 absolutely mint Tag Heuer watches both F1 which franky are sitting in boxes unworn

One watch I've worn 5 times in three years (funerals weddings) and the other just once lol in same period

They are sat in secure drawer frankly doing nothing !  Whilst not high end designer watches per se both are 23% more expensive new today for identical watch

Someone in another post suggested Facebook, and I have an antique (40 years old) Eterna (Swiss) quartz solid 9 karat gold wristwatch which I don't wear these days, but I have no idea as to its current worth, and I doubt if I would find out even if I put it on Facebook.

Like yours, mine is sitting in a drawer doing nothing apart from looking quite lovely. I did wear it for a few years, but it has been sitting idle since I acquired a stainless steel watch, along with the bracelet.

Perhaps I'll get my act together and look around a bit more. Good luck with yours.

• Agree 1

I understand the dilemma  for the OP.

I have gifted a small solid gold ladies wristwatch to my wife.

It was originally handed down from my Grandmother on my Father's side. Estimated age derived from records of family history would indicate it would be at minimum between 100 and 120 years old.

It has a double sided hinged casing and is only about 2 cm across with a spring loaded expanding strap with security clasp.

It is  in perfect working order and keeps time despite only having a fully wound working time of 12 hours.

I have tried to  get a valuation (not in Thailand) but without any realistic consensus. Two Jeweler/watchmaker wanted to open.it just to check if the mechanism is an early Rolex which I declined because they could give no guarantee that by doing so would not cause functional issues as a result.

My  wife is Thai and so naturally very proud to have a GOLD  heirloom to wear on special occasions.

My interest in realistic value is about insurance rather than sale value. I have no emotional concerns because I never knew my Grandmother and from my fathers rare mention was not remembered long after her funeral.

So quite sad that a material possession continues to represent more interest than the original recipient.

Museums are even more morbid in that aspect.

• Confused 1

My biggest mistake here when selling a watch was... 

... Going to a Rolex Dealer here and him undervaluing my watch (Explorer II) telling me he sells new ones cheaper than I was selling my second hand one for... 

... My mistake - not saying, OK... I'll take two of them then !!! 

I sold it later in the UK (to WatchFinder) at a reasonable profit, althought they wouldnt take a Bell&Ross, I lost money on a Panerai and Frank Muller.... 

Expect to lose on a Tag...    I haven't even bothered trying to sell my Tags (F1 and a Monaco Chrono)

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expect to lose on a Tag...    I haven't even bothered trying to sell my Tags (F1 and a Monaco Chrono)

Yes am not ovely bothered about a loss per se but I can see them otherwise sat in drawer to the day I die

Suppose could come in handy in a real emergency whilst in Thailand but thats pretty unlikely

Are you in Bangkok? It's been a while, but on B1 (I think) of Central World there are several used watch dealers as I remember, with a pretty diverse product offering. 

You should have a value in mind before you go. eBay is great for getting US values (which should be rather similar), but don't look at items for sale, use the advanced search function for sold items. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145369227179

Eterna Gold Watch for sale | eBay

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Sell them in the UK on your next visit. Not bullet proof, of course, but less chance of getting ripped off if you follow more reliable methods of security.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Chivas said:

Yes have full paperwork original invoices etc etc but they were purchased in the UK

In that case the potential buyer in Thailand would have to declare import taxes on them, which will probably affect the price they'd be willing to pay for them, if they want to buy them at all. You can try your luck at MBK center. They sell used watches on the first or second floor at the opposite end of the building from the sky train station. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Haha 1

In 2016 I sold my solid 18K gold Rolex President Day Date with diamond bezel and diamonds at each numeral. A comparable watch in the official Rolex shop cost 2.2 million Baht, but I was only able to get 180,000 Baht for mine. It was really difficult to find a buyer, so I wound up selling it to the owner of a gold shop. He made out like a champ. I had just had a life-threatening heart event and was afraid that I wouldn't live much longer, and I didn't want my wife to be stuck with the watch and get ripped off trying to unload it. Turns out I was the one that got ripped off in a moment of desperation. 

• Haha 1

The biggest luxury watch market in thailand is on facebook . ive bought and sold over 30 watches over the last 10 yrs . Dont believe ppl who say there isnt real demand here . check out the group and post it there , Buyers can take it to a small chain called expert watch which will authenticate the watch for 1000baht ( at the buyers expense) . https://www.facebook.com/groups/247973902464012

• Thanks 1

I know a fair number of Thais that collect watches. Most is by word of mouth or FB groups.

Post it on FB Marketplace, incl pictures of receipts/documents. Do your research on ebay what they might be worth. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, greg71 said:

The biggest luxury watch market in thailand is on facebook . ive bought and sold over 30 watches over the last 10 yrs . Dont believe ppl who say there isnt real demand here . check out the group and post it there , Buyers can take it to a small chain called expert watch which will authenticate the watch for 1000baht ( at the buyers expense) . https://www.facebook.com/groups/247973902464012 .Currently they have 1 42mm f1 going for 36000 baht 

Edited by greg71

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

I bought all my Rolex' watches in Patpong. No complaints🙏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

I bought all my Rolex' watches in Patpong. No complaints🙏

lol but I doubt those Rolex are real whereas my 2 Tags are !

Think I'll just sit on them for now no real reason to sell per se though options provided on this thread have been good

If you look on ebay uk and use the filter "sold completed items" you can see what the current prices are from recent sales. List it on FB marketplace, specific thai FB watch groups, kaidee? etc at at small discount on the current secondhand price and see how it goes. A real buyer may want to haggle a bit from this price but it probably way higher than you will get from a shop in Bangkok. 

On 5/7/2024 at 9:47 AM, Chivas said:

I’ve seen a shop on the top floor of a mall a few years back, but can’t for the life of me remember where. It struck me as it all looked perfectly kosher and I fancied a watch there.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:55 AM, tomazbodner said:

I remember second hand genuine watch shops on floor 2? of MBK and second floor of Fortunetown. There are sellers in Kaidee that post watches they have for sale (both new and used) so maybe you could reach out to them.

Having them in Thailand without having paid importing duties and VAT on them though could be a hindrance to some shops, but I guess not many.

I was actually looking into Tag just today at Jomashop.com. As prices of used watches in Thailand are about the same as new ones abroad...

There are waiting lists in France for most of the high end watches so the second hand shops and online are doing well.