Is Vietnam going to be next retirement

On 5/8/2024 at 1:08 AM, georgegeorgia said:

The question is.

As the next generation say 10-20 years from now when some of you will not be posting..

YouTubers are saying DA NANG in Vietnam is the next Pattaya in terms of retirement without the Go Go bars I suspect 

Every where now in YouTube is retirees particularly American posting their retirement in DA NANG , in Vietnam 

I'm fascinated by this new fetish 

Apparently Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand 

Is DA NANG the next retirement for next generation 

I want to check this place out , apparently cheaper , better visas?

I don't think so ,?

Vietnam,is the next generation who are going to massively retire there?

Disadvantage is, that you have to live with all these bragging loud speaking Americans. It's hardcore retirement.🙏

• Confused 3

Posted (edited)

Corruption is world wide in developing & 3rd world countries, and will be for a long time.  1st world just hides it better.

Nam as a retirement destination, not seeing it myself, since no real retirement visa, or so I read.   This will stop most from buying in on any big ticket items.    System now might be good for the older retirees, living on the cheap, not something that would interest a younger person, or someone with more money, actually looking for a permanent place to live with comforts.  

Even TH you have to think hard, or should, before investing in housing (w/Solar), cars & MBs, expensive toys.   At least here, you get offical permission to stay every year.

Nam's permanent residence card for foreigners is only valid for 10 years.   Not exactly 'permanent'.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Why would any place have to be like Pattaya?

Not a good comparison to make.

when there are some beautiful places in both Thailand and Vietnam.

Are bars the end all of everything?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/8/2024 at 5:49 AM, gargamon said:

Let me fix that for you.

Most countries in the world are not Interested in inviting POOR foreigners to retire.

And I reflect. Cannot afford retirement in my own country but on 65K + baht a month doing fine here in Thailand. I count myself an economic refugee. 

• Agree 1

On 5/8/2024 at 6:20 AM, BritManToo said:

I was a millionaire back in the UK (pounds not dollars), and I found it impossible to live a comfortable life without working.

That was 20 years back, god knows how much I would need now.

I can't see why any of the poorer countries wouldn't want retirees that bring in foreign currency and can support a local family.

But then I can't see why rich countries want poor, uneducated, uncivilised 3rd world Muslims either .......... and they all do.

Life is a complete mystery to me!

"Ours is not to wonder why..."

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I have talked with many American-Vietnamese people that live in the USA but go and visit Asia and Vietnam.  They all echo the corruption is blatant and rampant in Viet Nam.  As soon as they see somebody from America that is Viet landing in Vietnam they literally follow them and see what opportunities there are to exploit them,  Even upon arrival at the airport they literally were demanded to pay in order to get through the immigration queue.  Two of the younger travelers were scammed on the road as they road the motorbikes they had rented.  They were were run off the road, blocked and robbed on the spot,  And don't forget that the government in Vietnam is far from a Democracy or that there is any sort of court system that would favor an expat.  I know Thailand is not perfect in those areas either.. but Vietnam to me is much worse in my opine,

Been there loads of times, never any problems!

Obviously if you're in a crowd, one hand on your wallet, other hand on your phone ..... Same as everywhere else.

Edited by BritManToo

On 5/8/2024 at 4:20 AM, Presnock said:

I spent 18 months there but that was over 55 years ago.  Weather similar to here, as are beaches, mountains, and jungle.  The people from what I read are great and welcome foreigners. The food is good too.

Some say the immigration is better.  Taxes ? I have no idea.  But we may find out over the next year or so here.  In any case, most of the readers here in 10-20 years of sucking up the pollution it might be a moot point.

....55 Years ago...:coffee1:

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Corruption is world wide in developing & 3rd world countries, and will be for a long time.  1st world just hides it better.

Nam as a retirement destination, not seeing it myself, since no real retirement visa, or so I read.   This will stop most from buying in on any big ticket items.    System now might be good for the older retirees, living on the cheap, not something that would interest a younger person, or someone with more money, actually looking for a permanent place to live with comforts.  

Even TH you have to think hard, or should, before investing in housing (w/Solar), cars & MBs, expensive toys.   At least here, you get offical permission to stay every year.

Nam's permanent residence card for foreigners is only valid for 10 years.   Not exactly 'permanent'.

10 years is better than one year, then being treated like someone on parole with the ridiculous 90 day reporting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well there is no retirement visa and the possibility to get unlimited tourism ou business visa is gone. Before Covid you could stay as long as you want without leaving if you paid an agent to extend.

They are discussing new possible visas as they didn't recover tourism to precovid levels. I expect the visa situation to improve in the near future.

Da Nang is damn cheap for accomodation and food. There is an airport to visit other cities or countries which is nice.

The beach is nice and it is one of the cleanest cities in Vietnam. Better than Saigon in that regard. And people are friendly.

I wouldn't compare it to Pattaya. People go to Pattaya for ladies bars. Da Nang is a place to have a proper girlfriend.

And you only have 2 main streets with activities. The beach one and the one in front of the river. Apart from these 2, there isn't much, although you can still go to Hoi An. The weather can change quite a lot too in this part of Vietnam. Regarding corruption, it is high in Vietnam.

As long as you don't treat with the Vietanmese administration you'lll be fine but they can be a pain in the ass to deal with. This is why you often prefer paying agents who have "connections".

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

10 years is better than one year, then being treated like someone on parole with the ridiculous 90 day reporting.

That's one opinion. 

Although a 'Permanent Resident Card' being available, and actually getting one for Vietnam, is a different story.  Good luck with that, and if not, then left with present system, which guarantees nothing in Vietnam.   

You can't even own a motorbike in Vietnam, unless having a resident permit.  Technically, without a resident permit, you can't even drive one.  

So don't plan on staying too long or getting rooted or settled in.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The Vietnamese Government  courted retirees a few years ago , made visas easier and long term stays possible , quite a lot of the poorer retirees in Thailand moved to Vietnam .

Vietnam changed their mind about wanting retirees and stopped the visas .

Vietnam doesn't seem to want retired westerners living in Vietnam 

Exactly. 

They're just not into us.

That's their right.

Take the hint and don't try to push yourself on a country where you're not welcome. 

It will end in tears.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Disadvantage is, that you have to live with all these bragging loud speaking Americans. It's hardcore retirement.🙏

Perhaps the forum can start a sub forum dedicated solely to those, like you,  who feel compelled to indulge in America / Americans bashing.      :sad:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Perhaps the forum can start a sub forum dedicated solely to those, like you,  who feel compelled to indulge in America / Americans bashing.      :sad:

My best friends are Californians. They agree with me.😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, El Matador said:

Well there is no retirement visa and the possibility to get unlimited tourism ou business visa is gone. Before Covid you could stay as long as you want without leaving if you paid an agent to extend.

They are discussing new possible visas as they didn't recover tourism to precovid levels. I expect the visa situation to improve in the near future.

Da Nang is damn cheap for accomodation and food. There is an airport to visit other cities or countries which is nice.

The beach is nice and it is one of the cleanest cities in Vietnam. Better than Saigon in that regard. And people are friendly.

I wouldn't compare it to Pattaya. People go to Pattaya for ladies bars. Da Nang is a place to have a proper girlfriend.

And you only have 2 main streets with activities. The beach one and the one in front of the river. Apart from these 2, there isn't much, although you can still go to Hoi An. The weather can change quite a lot too in this part of Vietnam. Regarding corruption, it is high in Vietnam.

As long as you don't treat with the Vietanmese administration you'lll be fine but they can be a pain in the ass to deal with. This is why you often prefer paying agents who have "connections".

My wife and I were there last month, and pretty much agree with all you said., Traffic is noisy, as they are "horn" happy (Could get you shot here! ) and I wonder where all the "Soi Dogs" 🐕 are ? We liked it.

Da Nang has been talked up by certain YouTubers since before Covid. And it does have a lot going for it, it's a great place.

BUT - as has already been mentioned here - Vietnam currently doesn't have a retirement visa. There's talk about it now and again, but nothing has materialized - yet?

That pretty much limits the place to retirees who have married a Vietnamese, as they can get a TRC (temporary residence card). And to those who are willing to do visa runs, but eventually they tire of it or Vietnamese immigration denies their next back-to-back tourist visa.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Presnock said:

I am pretty sure that I was there then.  But, even before that, Danang AB was called Rocket City.  Went through quite a few of those during my stint there.  We flew out of Danang daily and after too many rockt attacks and loss of acft, they moved our acft to CamRanh Bay for protection but we still had to stay in Rocket City - our acft would pick us up at the end of the runway and drop us off later at the end of the runway again.  They were just worried about losing any of those acft, not the rear-end crew members.  Our crews lived in tent city.  Not too long after that summer we moved  to Okinawa and flew on jets versus the 130's.  Longer flights but that was the beginning of a lot more trained folks and though they flew a lot less, they certainly complained more.  It was sorta like being in the war but then again it wasn't, as much danger was removed.  We still got chased chased off orbi by VN, Chinese and Russians.  A real growing-up experience but prepared me well for a successful career and now that allows me to live well in Thailand and hope that continues for quite some time.  I take it, that you too were there on that BIG and successful attack by the NVA.

A little young for me to have been there but sure heard and read about it. One of my oldest friends in the airline industry came to the US as a “boat person” he lives in Saigon part time, but he got his  VN passport back. 

Edited by Captain Monday

On 5/7/2024 at 9:20 PM, bmanly said:

I went to Danang Vietnam last year for a side trip. It has nothing on Pattaya and Pattaya is a far better option. The bar scene is crap and restaurants are ok but nothing great. I did some serious walk arounds and the bars during the daytime have no customers. At night, some night street food opens up and someone always sells local beer for around $1 USD per glass but that isn't in a bar. On the promenade they have several eating places but you have sit on those crappy small kids like chairs and low to the ground. Anyone over 100 kilos will fall straight to the ground. The food is OK but not cheap and quality compared to Thailand is so so. Accommodation was ok and around $40 AUD per night which is around 1,000 baht including breakfast, mid range 2 or 3 star hotel.

Some things were very good though. The promenade walk is great and better than Pattaya. It is longer, well paved and there are TOILETS which Pattaya has never had, plus it's safe also. The Vietnamese are out there at 4.30 to 5 AM exercising as was I. I am a walk for exercise person and I loved doing that before the sun came up. The other thing I like is that some of their small 7/11 style shops had table and chairs outside (not the kid ones) and you could buy a cold can of beer for the equivalent of 20 baht per can. On a hot day it's great sitting out there having a few cheap beers. 

But the over all comparison to say Pattaya, I still choose Pattaya over Danang any day.

44 minutes ago, Al BB said:

My wife and I were there last month, and pretty much agree with all you said., Traffic is noisy, as they are "horn" happy (Could get you shot here! ) and I wonder where all the "Soi Dogs" 🐕 are ? We liked it.

Coming to Da Nang from Saigon, I found Da Nang very quiet in comparison, but I see your point. The noise tolerance level in Vietnam is the highest in the world. They make loud karaokes in the streets. No problem at all. And they will celebrate the qualification of the U23 team to the semi finals like if they won the World Cup. 🙂

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 1:08 AM, georgegeorgia said:

DA NANG in Vietnam is the next Pattaya

I worked for a few years, offshore, Vung Tau. 

It's on located by the sea, not to far from HCMC, nice restaurants, bars, massage etc. 

I spent a lot of time in Vung Tau, safety training, crew changing, nice town. 

I could see myself retiring there. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

While Danang is a great place to visit, for living/retirement Vung Tau is better. 

The weather is more like Thailand,  hot all year round  , and minimal chance of Typhoons hitting it.

5 years ago, I would have said that prices in Thailand and Vietnam are approximately the same, with Vietnam having a slight edge. 

But post pandemic that has changed. Prices in Vietnam haven't changed much, but was shocked to see how expensive Thailand had become over the 3 years I was stuck in Vietnam due to the pandemic. 

No retirement visa, but if you marry a Vietnamese, you get a temporary residence, and you are even allowed to work. 

Corruption here is ,as incredible as that sounds, way worse in Vietnam. 

On 5/8/2024 at 3:20 AM, bmanly said:

I went to Danang Vietnam last year for a side trip. It has nothing on Pattaya and Pattaya is a far better option. The bar scene is crap and restaurants are ok but nothing great. I did some serious walk arounds and the bars during the daytime have no customers. At night, some night street food opens up and someone always sells local beer for around $1 USD per glass but that isn't in a bar. On the promenade they have several eating places but you have sit on those crappy small kids like chairs and low to the ground. Anyone over 100 kilos will fall straight to the ground. The food is OK but not cheap and quality compared to Thailand is so so. Accommodation was ok and around $40 AUD per night which is around 1,000 baht including breakfast, mid range 2 or 3 star hotel.

Some things were very good though. The promenade walk is great and better than Pattaya. It is longer, well paved and there are TOILETS which Pattaya has never had, plus it's safe also. The Vietnamese are out there at 4.30 to 5 AM exercising as was I. I am a walk for exercise person and I loved doing that before the sun came up. The other thing I like is that some of their small 7/11 style shops had table and chairs outside (not the kid ones) and you could buy a cold can of beer for the equivalent of 20 baht per can. On a hot day it's great sitting out there having a few cheap beers. 

But the over all comparison to say Pattaya, I still choose Pattaya over Danang any day.

It does not compare with Pattaya, no city in Vietnam does.
Pre covid  Nha Trang and Da Nang were booming and very busy.

For some reason the government stopped three month visas and made it hard to stay there. Although they have a 90 visa available now, but you then must leave the country. 

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

A little young for me to have been there but sure heard and read about it. One of my oldest friends in the airline industry came to the US as a “boat person” he lives in Saigon part time, but he got his  VN passport back. 

Yeah it was pretty ugly.  If I remmeber correctly after so long ago, all the fire engines were destroyed too because fighters loaded with bomb were hit, set afire, the arming pins burned out, when a bomb would explode, it would send other "armedbombs" into the air and when coming down, would explode destroying fire engines and those fighting the fire too.  They had to fly in fire engines from Clark AB in the PI.  I do believe to our aircraft was the first one to be able to take off that morning after the attack.  Not a pretty picture but then there weren't a whole lot of those anyway.  I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, entering the military right out of HS at 17, trained as a Vietnamese linguist and worked with South Vietnamese soldiers.  WE and they were told repeatedly that those soldiers, because they worked

so closely with the Americans, that they and their families would be evacuated in case of an NVA invasion.  However, only the General in command and ops officer were evacuated.  SOme of those that did make it out called to let some of us know that they did make it out with their families but even though offered, they refused to ever work for the US govt.  Funny how many of those memories are still so fresh in my mind after so many years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

Prices in Vietnam haven't changed much, but was shocked to see how expensive Thailand had become over the 3 years I was stuck in Vietnam due to the pandemic. 

When I was in Vietnam before covid, it was already more expensive than Thailand (except booze and cigarettes of course). Food in supermarkets is easily 50% more expensive. Fish, fruit, juice, milk etc. Clothes, electronics are more expensive too.