Thailand Confirms 13 Cases of New Covid FliRT Sub-variants

webfact

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

The constant evolution of the Covid-19 virus has led to the discovery of 13 cases of two new sub-variants of the JN.1 strain, known as KP.2 and KP.3, from the FliRT group, in Thailand. The head of the Department of Medical Sciences, Dr. Yongyuth Thammawut, revealed this news recently. 

Better topic title:

Thai Citizens FLiRT with Death By Covid - Covid Czar Yong Cautions Public Not To Panic

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Just now, connda said:

Better topic title:

Thai Citizens FLiRT with Death By Covid - Covid Czar Yong Cautions Public Not To Panic

:thumbsup:

Yep, the covid obsessed would just dig that. AN seems to be a haven for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

Despite this, Dr. Yongyuth assures that the Department of Medical Sciences and associated laboratories are vigilantly monitoring Covid variants' mutations. A slight uptick in Covid cases over the past two weeks is deemed expected, as the disease is now endemic.

So.     In all seriousness.    Let's just get on with life. (as we used to know it)

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sungod said:

Does this give us a more runny nose than the others?

It's giving me the sh#ts

[metaphorically speaking as I've never contracted it]

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, neverere said:

I am recovering from Covid in Thailand as we speak. I am not sure which variant. It was nowhere near as bad as last time in 2021, but still quite unpleasant for around 4/5 days. A bit like a nasty case of the flu. I understand there have been at least 93 deaths this year in Thailand from Covid. If you are not in robust health, please be aware that kids returning to school and the start of the rainy season may well see an increase in cases.

And get vaccinated - or isn't there one available for the new variant?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And get vaccinated - or isn't there one available for the new variant?

When I asked at the local hospital for one of my daughters, who has only had 2 shots, the nurse told me there was none available and there was no need. For myself, I think just having had Covid should serve as a booster. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, neverere said:

When I asked at the local hospital for one of my daughters, who has only had 2 shots, the nurse told me there was none available and there was no need. For myself, I think just having had Covid should serve as a booster. 

The Thai government, at least for the present, seems to have ceased its former practice of offering free and widespread public COVID vaccinations (although I'm not aware that they ever actually announced that change).

However, the latest XBB variant COVID vaccine is available for a fee from at least several locations in Bangkok. Can't speak to the current availability outside of Bangkok.

Here's more info on the BKK availability:

PS -- At least in the West, there is likely to be a new JN.1 or similar variant-focused COVID vaccine available in fall 2024 (later this year).  That likely will eventually make its way to the BKK vaccination sources listed above.

But the seasonal peak time for COVID in Thailand typically has been now... March thru June-July... So if anyone has a desire to get vaccinated, now is the right time to go instead of waiting till the fall.

PPS - It's certainly true that the risk from COVID is far greater for older adults, and much less (though not nothing) for young people. The U.S. current policy is everyone should get the newest COVID vaccine. Places like the UK have a different policy to only give new vaccine to the elderly and those otherwise at risk.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A slight uptick in Covid cases over the past two weeks is deemed expected,

Missed the boat on that one by a long ways:

The weekly COVID new hospitalization counts reported by the MoPH during the past eight weeks have been as follows, with the spring surge beginning well before this year's mid-April Song Kran holidays, but then climbing rapidly after they arrived:

March 16 -- 501

March 23 -- 630

March 30 -- 728

April 6 -- 774

April 13 -- 849

April 20 -- 1,004

April 27 -- 1,672

May 4 -- 1,792

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Thai government, at least for the present, seems to have ceased its former practice of offering free and widespread public COVID vaccinations (although I'm not aware that they ever actually announced that change).

However, the latest XBB variant COVID vaccine is available for a fee from at least several locations in Bangkok. Can't speak to the current availability outside of Bangkok.

Here's more info on the BKK availability:

PS -- At least in the West, there is likely to be a new JN.1 or similar variant-focused COVID vaccine available in fall 2024 (later this year).  That likely will eventually make its way to the BKK vaccination sources listed above.

But the seasonal peak time for COVID in Thailand typically has been now... March thru June-July... So if anyone has a desire to get vaccinated, now is the right time to go instead of waiting till the fall.

PPS - It's certainly true that the risk from COVID is far greater for older adults, and much less (though not nothing) for young people. The U.S. current policy is everyone should get the newest COVID vaccine. Places like the UK have a different policy to only give new vaccine to the elderly and those otherwise at risk.

Why is it that the CDC still says everyone should get the mRNA vax where all other advanced countries don't. Is covid somehow different in the US than say all of Europe, the UK, Aus, NZ etc.

Edited by dinsdale

7 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Breaking News! Cold viruses -  including Covid-19 and influenza - undergo "constant evolution". Who would have thought!!

SarsCov2 is not a cold virus and neither is the flu. Not sure how many times this needs to be posted but covid, the flu and the common cold are not the same. May have very similar symptoms but all three are different viruses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Why is it that the CDC still says everyone should get the mRNA vax where all other advanced countries don't. Is covid somehow different in the US than say all of Europe, the UK, Aus, NZ etc.

Because the U.S.'s past experience with the level of COVID illness among young people there, sometimes serious, who often haven't been vaccinated, makes them feel that the reward-risk balance favors vaccination.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because the U.S.'s past experience with the level of COVID illness among young people there, sometimes serious, who often haven't been vaccinated, makes them feel that the reward-risk balance favors vaccination.

No one else does. It's a targeted vaccine within populations.

Edited by dinsdale

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

No one else does. It's a targeted vaccine within populations.

And Thailand at the national level right now appears to have NO national COVID vaccine policy (unless being absent is a policy).

So, obviously, each country makes their own choices about what they think is best / most affordable / etc.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And Thailand at the national level right now appears to have NO national COVID vaccine policy (unless being absent is a policy).

So, obviously, each country makes their own choices about what they think is best / most affordable / etc.

I did previously say advanced nations of which Thailand is not one.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Missed the boat on that one by a long ways:

The weekly COVID new hospitalization counts reported by the MoPH during the past eight weeks have been as follows, with the spring surge beginning well before this year's mid-April Song Kran holidays, but then climbing rapidly after they arrived:

March 16 -- 501

March 23 -- 630

March 30 -- 728

April 6 -- 774

April 13 -- 849

April 20 -- 1,004

April 27 -- 1,672

May 4 -- 1,792

with a population of what 77 million? those figures are minute!

Posted (edited)

A

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

SarsCov2 is not a cold virus and neither is the flu. Not sure how many times this needs to be posted but covid, the flu and the common cold are not the same. May have very similar symptoms but all three are different viruses.

Mr Bill Gates, (who is not a doctor, but was at the forefront of the covid BS and someone we were supposed to listen to) said that covid should be treated like the flu, and that it mostly effected the elderly....

Edited by stats
unsourced and unsubstantiated claim removed

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

A

Mr Bill Gates, (who is not a doctor, but was at the forefront of the covid BS and someone we were supposed to listen to) said that covid should be treated like the flu, and that it mostly effected the elderly....

Yep but still isn't the flu and isn't the common cold as I posted. I also posted that all three have similar symptoms. As for Gates saying treat it like the flu is all about continuous vaccinations. Anyone in their right mind who is not at risk (so the majority) will not treat this the same as the flu with annual boosters. Even flu vaccination is targeted. Healthy people do not need flu jabs.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

Not surprisingly, you're taking out-of-context what Gates actually said on that point.

What he really said was that after the huge spike in COVID cases from the Omicron surge, there should be fewer cases in the ensuing year and thus COVID could be treated more like the flu during that interlude (because the population would have temporary, high level of infection-induced immunity.

Screenshot_6.jpg.659778da4f303a11901f47d52a6ee0ea.jpg

He was NOT claiming that COVID is the same as the flu, or that the COVID pandemic should have been treated like the flu.

"Gates touched on that scenario in his Twitter Q&A, predicting that “omicron will create a lot of immunity, at least for the next year.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/bill-gatescovid-can-be-treated-more-like-seasonal-flu-after-omicron.html

• Thanks 1