Anutin Joins PM in Pot Stand, Urges Arrests of Foreigners

webfact

14 minutes ago, Kim Jones said:

Arrest all those dam farangs. Everyone knows that Thais don't smoke weed 

Exactly, there are no illegal weed businesses in Thailand, nor any illegal recreational use of cannabis for that matter, along with no prostitution, no illegal gambling, no gun problems, no road death issues, no air pollution problems, or any of the other things in the media tarnishing the pristine image of the hub of peace, safety, and serenity. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It's disgusting how this imbecile always singles out foreigners.

You mean all the dirty infidels who should have never even come in the first place?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dioj said:

You mean all the dirty infidels who should have never even come in the first place?

If they weren't here it wouldn't have happened 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Dioj said:

Exactly, there are no illegal weed businesses in Thailand, nor any illegal recreational use of cannabis for that matter, along with no prostitution, no illegal gambling, no gun problems, no road death issues, no air pollution problems, or any of the other things in the media tarnishing the pristine image of the hub of peace, safety, and serenity. 

Soon to be renamed CAMELOT so I understand 

6 minutes ago, Dioj said:

Yup, one million plus laws and no-one gives a toss.

Fantastic place to live🙃🙃.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

If they weren't here it wouldn't have happened 

Right, the first mistake they made was even getting on the airplane. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dioj said:

The very same, the ones who are keepingthe GDP up, businesses afloat  and thousands of girls employed.

Anutin has a very blinkered view of tourists.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The very same, the ones who are keepingthe GDP up, businesses afloat  and thousands of girls employed.

Anutin has a very blinkered view of tourists.

Not the point. Nobody "asked" them to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Dioj said:

Hunger has never been a problem in the land of anything grows. 

Anything that grows costs money... when you have no money?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Anything that grows costs money... when you have no money?

True, but my real point is that the ground has always been extremely fertile in Thailand. You can grow anything that can flourish in a tropical climate. Thus, nobody has ever gone hungry and there has never been a shortage of food, even prior to any foreign investment.

Edited by Dioj
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I do wonder about all these "Cannabis outlets".

Our local "falang" orientated nightlife area (a couple of hundred metres and about twenty bars of various types) has some half a dozen of these places. All quite expensively fitted out in a very similar style, identical signage almost like a franchise; all with few if any customers.

Very strange "economics"!

ฟอกเงิน - High rent, large overheads, no income, it's perfect when you understand the business model. 

Edited by Dioj
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Honestly, are there  really  any farangs operating weed shops, or is this just another weak attempt at staying in the headlines?

Well, we have to define "operate", but most of the big, well-known foreigners here have Thai majority partners.

Not sure what Anutin is on about, other than to point out that the authorities have been lax in enforcing the current laws (business licensing/foreign investment). He has sweeping law enforcement capabilities with his own "police force" (DOPA) so he could easily verify all of the shops (ownership, eployees/work permits)in a week or so. 

It seems strange to me that there is such a focus on cannabis, or vintage rice for that matter, when so, so many massive problems are impacting Thailand and her citizens. Economy, climate, lack of job opportunities, education, health, prison over-population, and methamphetamine all require politicians' attention.

But Thai-style governing seems to involve talking about problems, and forming committees, as if those activities will magically lead to change.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dioj said:

Seems we've all been missing the entire point here. Big, fancy cannabis shops, with large rents, unsustainable overheads, and no customers is a money laundering business reserved purely for the locals. Makes perfect sense now. Bad guys out, good guys in. 

This is why the Pakistanis in the UK open shops side by side to each other, mainly empty, they are selling Indian Curry and KFC style takeaways, very few people buy from them, but they carry the air of respectability and are a ' front ' to launder their drug proceeds, which is by far, their prime source of revenue. The Police are well aware of it.

I've been inside them, unfriendly guys with beards sat behind the counters playing with their I phone, surprised when somebody walks in and places an order.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to buy a house and move to Thailand in the very near future,however just watching and listening to what's been in the news lately and being a 'Farang' I'm seriously rethinking moveing,there is a lot of open hostility happening to 'Farangs' they are being blamed for any blemish on society by these pollies and there ilk,how can I commit to moveing when these idiot pollies change there mind every 5 minutes, don't think i want to gamble my well being on the 'Political Fairweather thinking of Thai politicions' 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In a bold move, Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul orders the arrest of foreigners operating cannabis outlets illegally in Thailand.

Xenophobic moron! What will you propose next week???

4 minutes ago, Edwin Cameron said:

I was going to buy a house and move to Thailand in the very near future,however just watching and listening to what's been in the news lately and being a 'Farang' I'm seriously rethinking moveing,there is a lot of open hostility happening to 'Farangs' they are being blamed for any blemish on society by these pollies and there ilk,how can I commit to moveing when these idiot pollies change there mind every 5 minutes, don't think i want to gamble my well being on the 'Political Fairweather thinking of Thai politicions' 

TBH, the media makes things sound a lot worse than it actually is. Just keep your head down. Stay below the radar so to speak. Don't disrespect people, don't try and infringe on anyone else's livelihood, follow the rules, don't try and change the way they do things, be kind to people, and you will get the same in return. Nobody will give you any problems and you will be treated with the same respect and generosity in return most of the time. What you are mainly seeing are instances where foreigner are crossing the line or breaking the rules. Locals generally leave foreigners alone and aren't even interested in what they are doing for the most part. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

There are number of post on TikTok  as well as other social media outlets from assorted foreigners boasting about their cannabis plantations. One even offers a yearly return of 150% if you invest with him. States his product and  exports are  guaranteed by  a merchant bank, and he brags about his 700 pound a month villa rental Chiang Mai area. Then a other openly boasts about  both his drug usage and supply to clients and raves Krabi area.  These and the rest of their ilk supply the xenophobic Anutin with his ammunition. Silence is golden they need to stop providing ammunition to Anutin and his kind.

Edited by shunter
  • Like 1

So Zarathustra spoke - again!

Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul orders the arrest of foreigners operating cannabis outlets illegally in Thailand. 

I did not know, that a minister has such power without an arrest warrant being issued by the competent authorities (possibly the court?). The statement leaves open, what happens to all those Thais operating cannabis outlets illegally. I - for one - am not affected in any way as I never tried the stuff as a kiddo 50 years ago and today I rather have a glass of good red wine 😉