Anutin Joins PM in Pot Stand, Urges Arrests of Foreigners

webfact

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Totally bs article. I don't believe a word of it. As usual, no sources. Who's making this up and publishing it as fact? A new low.

Very true. No source of the article given. Could all just be anecdotal conjecture or a translation taken out of context from an article published in Thai media. However, saying something like that would not be out of character for Anutin either. But how he said it probably didn't have any of the hyperbole that comes across in this article. His comment could have simply been based on foreigners operating unlicensed business, without work permits and wanting to crack down on seemingly what could be fronts for money laundering operations. Nothing wrong with any of that. Nor should it be viewed as racism or related to xenophobia if it really is just law enforcement. He may be wanting to crack down on unlicensed cannabis shops being run by locals too, but just not focused on in this article. I'm not trying to defend him, but his intent may not really carry the perceived bias being portrayed by the article. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

There are plenty of farang owned and operated weed shops with farangs openly working "front of house" serving customers at the counter, This has never been tolerated with any other business and is in clear breach of labour laws. its actually a mystery why they have been allowed to continue for so long.  Try cutting people's hair or driving a taxi and see what happens.

My guess is that when the police were warned off hassling cannabis sellers and users they simply stepped back from the whole issue, preferring not to get involved at all.   I don't think, after all, that the average Thai cop is institutionally anti cannabis or on a personal anti cannabis crusade  in the same way that some on here are. Certainly the police I have discussed this with have no issues.

In my opinion this "crackdown " is an attempt by Anutin to show that despite what some may think , there are indeed regulations attached to the cannabis industry and that these regulations will (finally) be enforced. and that it's not , or will no longer continue to be, the free for all that it appears to be.

In reality the regulations regarding cannabis sales and use  were pretty sensible , An age limit obviously makes sense,  As do  the regulations regarding  public usage  causing annoyance, and licenses for outlets was only to be expected, but is  there  really any point in introducing licensing hours or any of the other pointless rules that have accumulated concerning  alcohol usage. ?

The regs relating to "working " are a different matter and not specifically aimed at cannabis,  but as I hinted at above maybe he's hoping that showing stronger enforcement of all the regulations might just be enough to placate the reefer madness brigade sufficiently to allow some form of recreational use to continue.   

Personally I hope he's right. I would be perfectly happy if all the" in your face," overcharging, foreign owned weed shops were shut down tomorrow, if it meant discreet  personal use in one's own home was allowed to continue, and I think most regular smokers would agree

What say you guys?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Something he omitted to doing when he legalised it.

He decriminalised it.

There is a difference.

Medicinal cannabis is legal.

Recreational cannabis is not. It is only decriminalised.

And that is where people are confused - especially the police.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

He decriminalised it.

There is a difference.

Medicinal cannabis is legal.

Recreational cannabis is not. It is only decriminalised.

And that is where people are confused - especially the police.

If only there was some kind of network of shops that dispense medicines which could have taken on the task of distribution, as opposed to having all these separate weed shops pop up....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

It's  hilarious , all these pot shops opened in the sin city and fields of the green top weed all the way to Sattahip(encouraged) by Anutin when he was the clown in the Prayut mafia clan,and now it's going to be all illegal. Or I guess the 'Thai'  shop will be allowed to put a red cross over the door and claim it's all for medical consumption.What a S*** show 😂

There is nothing new about the labour laws or regulations regarding foreigners operating businesses, nobody encouraged anybody to disregard those regulations when opening shops .  The ultimate legality of cannabis and its use has yet to be decided.  Showing that it can be sold and used responsibly and in line with any regulations can only be a good thing for those who wish recreational use to continue

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tailwagsdog said:

Yes Jamaica is a shining example

I think the societal problems in Jamaica are little to do with cannabis, but more to do with the dwindling economy after collapse of the sugar industry and reduction in tourism, and the rise of Yardie organised crime exploiting the position as a transit area for hard drugs such as cocaine from South America.

Edited by Classic Ray
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin Joins PM in Pot Stand, Urges Arrests of Foreigners

image.jpeg

In a bold move, Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul orders the arrest of foreigners operating cannabis outlets illegally in Thailand. The widely criticised decision follows a government-led initiative to upscale the regulation of recreational marijuana trading in the country. 

The Minister's proclamation comes in the wake of an edict from Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, the controversial call to reclassify cannabis as a banned narcotic. This impending shift could lead to the closure of nearly 8,000 marijuana retail outlets. While Mr Anutin openly supports the introduction of legislation to regulate the industry, his admonition towards foreign nationals involved in illegal cannabis sale has stirred quite a buzz.

"It's a tricky situation. We've got a burgeoning cannabis industry on one hand and the potential collateral damage of this ban on the other," shared Moira McKenzie, a long-time expat running an art café in Chiang Mai. 

A wave of unrest swept the nation following the Prime Minister's Wednesday pronouncement. Many see cannabis as a cornerstone of a progressive, modern Thailand. More so, it has imbued a profound change in Thailand’s conservative culture. The country made history in Asia by legalising medicinal marijuana usage back in 2018, and in 2020, the growth, trade and possession of limited quantities were decriminalised. 

Mr Anutin himself, in his prior role as Minister of Public Health, played a crucial part in these reforms. Nonetheless, embracing a diplomatic outlook, he stated, "As I am no longer the Minister of Public Health, it behoves me to allow the incumbent to make this decision. But we must offer concise information on why cannabis has more benefits than harm”.

This sentiment is highly indicative of the complex state of affairs cannabis regulation has created within Thai politics. 

Anutins' stance on limiting ownership to

Thai nationals only has been clear for some time, aiming to safeguard local traditional practitioners and keep the benefits within national borders. He stood firm on this, calling for a systemic sweep and arrest of international operatives.

While medical bodies have warned about the adverse effects of recreational cannabis use, pro-cannabis lobbyists have hit back. In particular, the Cannabis Future Network is threatening protests and legal action against the government's perceived efforts to establish a cannabis monopoly. They are demanding scientific proof of cannabis causing harm to mental health. 

Growing public dissatisfaction and the legalisation advocates' outcry against the government might fuel a significant shift in Thailand's political alliance, ultimately shaping the country's stance on cannabis. 

Anutin Charnvirakul. Picture courtesy of Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I hope Srettha and his friends will stand their ground 🙏

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dioj said:

True, but my real point is that the ground has always been extremely fertile in Thailand. You can grow anything that can flourish in a tropical climate. Thus, nobody has ever gone hungry and there has never been a shortage of food, even prior to any foreign investment.

So a girl living in an apartment or condo who has no money or occupation grows food how?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This impending shift could lead to the closure of nearly 8,000 marijuana retail outlets. While Mr Anutin openly supports the introduction of legislation to regulate the industry, his admonition towards foreign nationals involved in illegal cannabis sale has stirred quite a buzz.

He played his cards as openly racist back when he was handing out masks as the Health Minister and spewed the racist expletive toward foreigners who refused his "gift": "Ai farang," which roughly translates to "**** foreigners of European descent."  And followed that with the comment that foreigners of European descent are dirty and don't shower.  Imagine the Secretary of Health in the US saying that about Thais?  Outrage!

Thailand is a nationalistic country, and unlike Western countries which almost uniformly equate nationalism with racism and bigotry toward those who are not indigenous citizens of the country and encourage their citizenry to welcome foreigners as both guests and as migrants - Thai leadership revels and encourages nationalism with all of its warts and intolerance. As for foreigners?  Of course foreigners are pretty much uniformly considered to be "bad" and "potential criminals" who must be constantly watched, surveilled, and monitored.  And as one can see in articles published in Thai/Eng news outlets, Anutin is always on the forefront of battling foreign criminality and the threat that farangs pose to Thailand - real or imagined.  By comparison - just imagine if the US Secretary of the Interior made a comment that the US needs to target "illegal" shops run by Thais in California who may not have work permits?  There would be uniform outrage in the US media.  And yet what Anutin just said is the equivalent here in Thailand and its the norm and perfectly accepted at all levels of society. 

Oh well - dirty, unwashed farang selling ganja in shops must be jailed and deported.   "Ai farang!"

• Sad 1
  • Love It 2

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Honestly, are there  really  any farangs operating weed shops, or is this just another weak attempt at staying in the headlines?

Yes but fronted by Thai staff so they will lose their jobs. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Honestly, are there  really  any farangs operating weed shops, or is this just another weak attempt at staying in the headlines?

@stoner? Are you there"

Hello...?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Ever the xenophobe! Was just praising him on another thread in standing up for weed, but he’s capitulated with this knob of a pm and can’t help himself but attack foreigners. Anyone should be arrested for operating an illegal weed shop, shouldn’t they?

I hope the government gets of serious reprisals for dialling it back and screwing with people’s lives. 

If you read beyond the totally misleading headline you will gather that Anutin is far from agreeing with the PM's ridiculous attempt to make a u-turn on the use of cannabis. Notable in the last few days headlines and photos on AN no longer match the articles which follow.

• Agree 1

Why wouldn't they arrest anyone operating a dispensary after they become illegal (which appears to be inevitable). Anutin is a nut job. Hating on foreigners at every turn. Some things never change. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

@stoner? Are you there"

Hello...?

i don't operate our store my wife does. i opened a company ltd before legalization - dec 2022. my wife handles pretty much all things related to legal and paperwork. 

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

If you read beyond the totally misleading headline you will gather that Anutin is far from agreeing with the PM's ridiculous attempt to make a u-turn on the use of cannabis. Notable in the last few days headlines and photos on AN no longer match the articles which follow.

Ridiculous man. Anooti will stab anyone in the back.

Just look at his Monday Military dress.

Who the hell picks all of his badges & medals off his jacket before going in the cleaner?🙃🙃

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically get rid of anyone that's not Thai or anyone running a shop with a foreigner and then all the shops left will get richer !

Sounds like how a monopoly starts off .

33 minutes ago, stoner said:

i don't operate our store my wife does. i opened a company ltd before legalization - dec 2022. my wife handles pretty much all things related to legal and paperwork. 

Excellent, fast response, thanks.

No flies on you I see.

No mules either.

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

I don't have a problem with that. Working without an appropriate visa. Lock them up.

I bet you didn't get to Thailand till at least the late 90s when the country started to believe it needed to become squeaky clean for the sake of its citizens and visitors. 

4 hours ago, Dioj said:

If it is all just bluster to simply squeeze foreigners out of a hugely lucrative US$1 billion business that they want the locals to dominate then they should stop all the buffoonerous flip-flopping about the cannabis laws and stop pretending it's all about cannabis being a health and safety risk to local society.

EVERYTHING done here is about money.

7 minutes ago, Spock said:

I bet you didn't get to Thailand till at least the late 90s when the country started to believe it needed to become squeaky clean for the sake of its citizens and visitors. 

Thailand has never really believed that.

Even up to the mid 00's you could still get visas and extensions from bars on Silom and Sukhumvit. So much easier then, never having to leave the country! A lot cheaper too. 

It was the Chinese gangster that changed it all, with his continuing pogrom against foreigners. The UN is not my father and all that nationalist nonsense. 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Excellent, fast response, thanks.

No flies on you I see.

No mules either.

i got lucky sitting next to a guy at a hotel in bangkok a number of years ago...sounds so private dancer but is true. a little birdie told me to be ready. also watching it unfold in canada as it did and being a medical license holder for many years helped me see a lot of what they have been playing at here. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Any old excuse for this dinosaur to have a pop at the dirty farangs...

"Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul orders the arrest of foreigners operating cannabis outlets illegally in Thailand". 

He is not "having a pop at dirty farangs", he is emphasing the law that restricts ownership of cannabis-related businesses to Thai nationals; those that you allege are being "popped at" are operating illegally. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

this knob of a pm and can’t help himself but attack foreigners. Anyone should be arrested for operating an illegal weed shop, shouldn’t they?

Yes, and weed shops can only be legally owned by Thai nationals, not foreigners, that's why he said that they should be arrested!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Ata boy ..... go get them filthy nasty foreigners.

You know, those  foreigners that keep Thailand afloat. And of course make enough money for those elite who collect fancy watches 

Illegal foreign owners of weed shops do not keep Thailand afloat and those are the only ones that he was referring to, the illegal operators.

• Like 1