Rent Scooter Thailand

Hello everyone! I've just arrived in Thailand and am looking to rent a scooter for about a month to start. I have previous experience riding two-wheelers and would appreciate any advice you could give. Also, if you know any reliable rental agencies, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!

21 minutes ago, benjamin.conrazier said:

Hello everyone! I've just arrived in Thailand and am looking to rent a scooter for about a month to start. I have previous experience riding two-wheelers and would appreciate any advice you could give. Also, if you know any reliable rental agencies, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you have a motorcycle driving's license?

24 minutes ago, benjamin.conrazier said:

I would advise you to rent a 160 click ABS .

You need good brakes and some speed to get out of problems now and then and the click 160 does that.

Good luck

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Available everywhere, you need a bike licence and IDP to ride legal

What about just the IDP . Left my licence at home.

• Like 1

Just now, Angus55 said:

Of course I know we can just pay a small  at point of contact but to be totally legal...

1 minute ago, Keep Right said:

Thailand is a very dangerous place to ride a motorbike, almost a death wish. Bavaria is a much safer place to ride a bike.

Sure it is if you dont have experience with Asian driving style. 

30 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Where are you located in Thailand / where do you want to rent one?

You say, you have experience riding two-wheelers, but do you have the appropriate driving license to ride a Scooter? Please Note driving License AM (Europe) only is valid (AFAIK) for 50cc scooters, and the ones in Thailand are bigger CC ones (100cc for example) and that requires an A (A1,A2 or A) license.

Ps: Without a valid license and you get into a crash your travel insurance will NOT pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_driving_licence#Categories_valid_in_all_EEA_member_states

Not sure the Op is British - Benjamin Conrazier (name would appear he isn't)..   But, his home licence may have similar endorsements which he could transfer into a Thai DL without having to do the rudimentary licensing tests etc (which actually do not really test anything at all) - it depends what is 'shown' on the back of the licence.

For example: I obtained a Thai Motorcycle licence using the endorsements shown below, which as you mention above, are for low-powered (equivalent of 50cc or less) scooters etc.

Worth a try at the DLT anyway - they seem to only pay attention to the silhouette - but experience may of course vary.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 14.28.13.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Angus55 said:
18 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

Of course I know we can just pay a small  at point of contact but to be totally legal...

Theoretically - an IDP needs to accompany a home licence which type of vehicle you are using.

Realistically, at a Police Stop they may see the IDP and its sufficient - the one point about the BiB in Thailand (and much of Thailand) is that there is very little consistency. 

IF your home licence covers you for a Motorcycle - get it posted out and obtain a Thai DL / MC licence.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless you are here for the long haul, safer to take songthaews and tuk-tuks.

Get a Thai scooter license before you rent, and invest in a decent helmet.

You may think you have experience with two-wheelers. Thai traffic is different, assume everyone is trying to kill you.

100% agree...       

As a minimum: Get a 'good' helmet, Never ride in flip flops (always trainers at least), Wear gloves.

Ensure your travel / medical / health insurance covers you for riding a motorcycle...   (this in bold as its astonishing how many GoFundMe campaigns we read of where a visitor has wiped out on his motorcycle and needs expensive medical care to prevent life-changing injuries... yet is not insured...)

Ensure you have an MC licence from your home country, or a Licence which looks like it has MC endorsements.

An IDP is not essential, but it may help in an issue (if stopped by BiB), but often the home licence if in 'English' language is sufficient.

Get a Thai MC licence (especially if you have your home MC licence) - its a simple few hours process.

Finally, as above...  knowing how to handle an MC is one thing...  but Thai traffic is different than you may be used to - there is a complete absense of awareness of common sense, safety and consideration for other road users - Other motorist will pull out on you without looking...  That's just one example, the silly stuff exists all around you, every time you take out the bike - ensure you ride extremely defensively, but follow the 'flow'... 

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% agree...       

As a minimum: Get a 'good' helmet, Never ride in flip flops (always trainers at least), Wear gloves.

Ensure your travel / medical / health insurance covers you for riding a motorcycle...   (this in bold as its astonishing how many GoFundMe campaigns we read of where a visitor has wiped out on his motorcycle and needs expensive medical care to prevent life-changing injuries... yet is not insured...)

Ensure you have an MC licence from your home country, or a Licence which looks like it has MC endorsements.

An IDP is not essential, but it may help in an issue (if stopped by BiB), but often the home licence if in 'English' language is sufficient.

Get a Thai MC licence (especially if you have your home MC licence) - its a simple few hours process.

Finally, as above...  knowing how to handle an MC is one thing...  but Thai traffic is different than you may be used to - there is a complete absense of awareness of common sense, safety and consideration for other road users - Other motorist will pull out on you without looking...  That's just one example, the silly stuff exists all around you, every time you take out the bike - ensure you ride extremely defensively, but follow the 'flow'... 

4 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

What, like when you stalk RTA threads to tell everyone how it happened? hahahahaha

Yeah its as if they cant wait to spread their Health and SAFETY message from most likely the UK,  anywhere they think someone will listen...oh and shouldnt I wear a HIGH VIZ jacket on the bike too ? LOL 

3 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

Dont forget your HIGH VIZ jacket to keep the UK Health and Safety fanatics happy.

That'll be a white tee shirt then. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And another thing..Don't assume the rental you hire is roadworthy.

Some rental agencies want your passport as security. Walk out. A copy and security of 2-3K baht is the norm.

Be especially wary of intersections, Thais cut corners.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

Dont forget your HIGH VIZ jacket to keep the UK Health and Safety fanatics happy.

Just don't forget your brain when riding (as proven by one poster already, this is not something everyone is capable of)

Remaining conscious of the risk thats all around at all times seems solves most issues... 

Its when some people switch off, that they get themselves into difficulties when riding, also when they make assumptions, i.e. assume that the rider / driver pulling up to the junction you are approaching is not going to pull out on you etc... 

In fact, when its a motorcycle, they are more likely to pull out on you... it seems in their mind there is space for two bikes in the lane, so they can simply not stop and assume you'll avoid them as they pull out.

-----------

Note: The Hi-Vis works in the UK not because of better visibility, but because of better consciousness of what is visible - drivers see the hi-vis and quickly / subconsciously assume its a the police - it is this subconscious and somewhat pshychogical facet that makes the the hi-vis effective... I'm not so sure it would have a similar effect here 'cos no one gives a toss about the BiB.

• Like 1

DONT assume the highway code you know applies here ! it doesnt. Learn the subtle differences in road use.

There are many but as just one example: if someone flashes their lights, they are NOT inviting you out, they are telling you NOT to come out.

Here they stop on roundabouts and yield to traffic.

Learn what those red and white chequered kerbstones mean before you get clamped! 

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just don't forget your brain when riding (as proven by one poster already, this is not something everyone is capable of)

Remaining conscious of the risk thats all around at all times seems solves most issues... 

Its when some people switch off, that they get themselves into difficulties when riding, also when they make assumptions, i.e. assume that the rider / driver pulling up to the junction you are approaching is not going to pull out on you etc... 

In fact, when its a motorcycle, they are more likely to pull out on you... it seems in their mind there is space for two bikes in the lane, so they can simply not stop and assume you'll avoid them as they pull out.

-----------

Note: The Hi-Vis works in the UK not because of better visibility, but because of better consciousness of what is visible - drivers see the hi-vis and quickly / subconsciously assume its a the police - it is this subconscious and somewhat pshychogical facet that makes the the hi-vis effective... I'm not so sure it would have a similar effect here 'cos no one gives a toss about the Bif

Hi Viz winkers. .. Dont import yer western crap into Thailand.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Angus55 said:

Hi Viz winkers. .. Dont import yer western crap into Thailand.

So... after I was respectful with a response to your query earlier...  you want to be abusive... Classy act !!... 

At least you've outed yourself now and I can place you in the same bracket as a handful of brainless-bumders and ignore you.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
4 hours ago, Angus55 said:
4 hours ago, Angus55 said:

Theoretically - an IDP needs to accompany a home licence which type of vehicle you are using.

Realistically, at a Police Stop they may see the IDP and its sufficient - the one point about the BiB in Thailand (and much of Thailand) is that there is very little consistency. 

IF your home licence covers you for a Motorcycle - get it posted out and obtain a Thai DL / MC licence.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

can DM me if u want i can take you to my guy in old city...and you can see he has tons of good reviews online....

Did the Op say where he is located ??  (and where you are located - Old City ? implies Chiang Mai ?)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did the Op say where he is located ??  (and where you are located - Old City ? implies Chiang Mai ?)

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

So... after I was respectful with a response to your query earlier...  you want to be abusive... Classy act !!... 

At least you've outed yourself now and I can place you in the same bracket as a handful of brainless-bumders and ignore you.

What?

I was only refering to Hi Viz wearing tossers <deleted> invading Thailand ! The kind of guys who insist you wear a helmet while riding a pedal cycle round Chiang mai....do us a favour and push off back to the Uk where your species are encoraged.

Edited by Angus55
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I give the same advice to all guests who want to rent scooter.

Assume that everyone else on the road is trying to kill you.

Take care and take your time. There is no need to speed.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

What?

I was only refering to Hi Viz wearing tossers <deleted> invading Thailand ! The kind of guys who insist you wear a helmet while riding a pedal cycle round Chiang mai....

You have issues fella...    getting so bent out of shape imagining imaginary people telling other imaginary people we wear hi-vis jackets... 

30 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

do us a favour and push off back to the Uk where your species are encoraged.

Now.. are you referring to me, or the hi-vis wearing tossers ???....   'cos its difficult to tell if you are angry at the world, or just me, or just people in 'hi-viz' tops, or those who wear helmets while cycling...  :whistling:

• Agree 1