Thai Medics Warn of Covid Surge with 11 New Deaths

webfact

1 hour ago, connda said:

Dear Thai Government:

Please lock Thailand down again, close all non-essential businesses and schools as well.  And stop tourism until this new pandemic is over.  Make 100% of the population put on masks (except for the wealthy, the leaders, and politicians) and make everyone get shots that don't stop transmission (but makes pharmaceutical companies the big bucks).

Thank you.
Signed,
Scared-out-of-my-mind-in-Thailand-by-Covid-2.0  🙀

I sort of miss those golden days of Thailand under Covid restrictions. Cleaner air, fewer tourists, roads that weren't jammed, people taking care about spreading disease. Frankly, I liked it. It did decimate some industries, but . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, milesinnz said:

I think there should be free choice to vaccinate or not.. but those who do not get vaccinated need to sign an indemnity form that should they get sick with Covid, they will stay at home until they are "better"..

Maybe we should have a waiver at fast food joints. You eat fast food and you'll be denied medical treatment should you get sick.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I sort of miss those golden days of Thailand under Covid restrictions. Cleaner air, fewer tourists, roads that weren't jammed, people taking care about spreading disease. Frankly, I liked it. It did decimate some industries, but . . .

My main memory from the glory days, which I did end up enjoying too ironically, was that I could go anywhere I wanted in my car. I don’t remember being stopped one time.i could not get on a bus. Could not get on a plane. It made perfect sense in someone head I suppose 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, milesinnz said:

I think there should be free choice to vaccinate or not.. but those who do not get vaccinated need to sign an indemnity form that should they get sick with Covid, they will stay at home until they are "better"..

If covid is that dangerous, everyone with it should be isolating until they test negative.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

One has to wonder why recovery times are longer? Is it the virus or the vaccines This entire article reads like it's going to go pandemic again. Who on here thinks this to be the case? I also see the modal verbs of could and may being used. ps. Won't be long now until the narrative supported by narrative stats are posted.

The article certainly makes it sound like we're weeks away from national lock-downs, which I don't believe to be the case.

It doesn't sound realistic at all.  Why would it suddenly get worse now?  Students are only going back to school this week.

It think they're just scaremongering opportunistically due to the panic over kids going back to school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If covid is that dangerous, everyone with it should be isolating until they test negative.

The thing with this virus is it's very, very good at spreading itself around. A person can be infected and not even know they it or have symptoms that are so mild that it's hardly noticed. Still able to spread the virus though. It's unstoppable just like the common cold and is with us for the foreseeable future. Jabs, masks, lockdowns whatever, it can't be stopped. Lost count of how many Omicron variants there have been and it's certain there'll be many more all of which for the overwhelmelming majority of poeople is a non-severe viral infection.

20 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

From the OP..... though I know of virtually nothing the current Thai government is doing in the way of COVID vaccinations:

"Strict preventive measures, including mask-wearing, social distancing, and hand hygiene, are being enforced while vaccination efforts continue."

The same things that reduced people's COVID risks in past years are still the ones that reduce your risks today.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Show me one person with "long covid" who is unvaccinated, I beg you.
Rarer than bigfoot and the lochness monster combined 

Haven't been paying much attention during the COVID pandemic?

Review estimates 69% 3-dose vaccine efficacy against long COVID

Much lower long-COVID prevalence among vaccinated

The pooled prevalence of long COVID was 11.8% among unvaccinated participants [emphasis added] and 5.3% among recipients of at least two vaccine doses. 

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/review-estimates-69-3-dose-vaccine-efficacy-against-long-covid

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

You seemed to have missed the very important FACT that being vaccinated does NOT stop transmission.

Up-to-date vaccinations significantly reduce the risk of people from getting seriously ill / being hospitalized or dying from COVID. And, it reduces the risk of transmission, particularly in the months immediately following vaccination.

so you agree it does not stop the transmission. the comment you responded to says stop and you replied with reduce. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunno about anyone else, but as someone in his mid-60s, I'm going to do everything within my power to avoid the prospect of a three to eight week Thai hospital stay because of COVID.

That means, as it's always meant, keeping up-to-date with my COVID vaccinations, wearing a quality face mask when around others, and following social distancing and hand hygiene measures.

Common sense precautions that have been proven effective.

I'm not that younger with a comorbidity. The 2 times I've had covid were not as bad as the couple of times I got the flu when I was younger. Bit like a heavy cold and I'm guessing most of us have had our fair share of them. As for a mask it's been well over two years. Jabs? No thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

It was horrible and the damage done was unfathomable.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, stoner said:

correct me if i am wrong but was last weeks death total not 9 ? so 9 to 11 is a surge ? 

No... you're indeed wrong.

Two weeks ago was 12. Last week, the most recent week reported today, was 11.

Screenshot_8.jpg.3741cad5ef5f1ca84de5adb6582c70ca.jpg

So the recent progression of weekly COVID deaths has been 3, 9, 12, and now 11.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

You can post studies until your blue in the face we have seen over the last few years the credibility most studies have nowadays. Im talking real world people here not fairytales from compromised institutions.

Find me one or maybe two, you cant

Well,  since the cited article above described a summary review of TWENTY FOUR different studies on how COVID vaccination reduces the risk of Long COVID, you're going to have a lot of reading to do to prove your made-up claim that they're all non-credible and compromised.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, stoner said:

that's amazing. that also means the title of this thread is a total lie. 12 to 11 is a drop not a surge. 

Reading comprehension...

Thai Medics Warn of Covid Surge with 11 New Deaths

The headline is correctly talking about a surge of COVID with 11 new deaths.

And I think they've got the surge part pretty well covered:

The weekly COVID new hospitalization counts reported by the MoPH during the past nine weeks have been as follows, with the spring surge beginning well before this year's mid-April Song Kran holidays, but then climbing rapidly after they arrived:

March 16 -- 501

March 23 -- 630

March 30 -- 728

April 6 -- 774

April 13 -- 849

April 20 -- 1,004

April 27 -- 1,672

May 4 -- 1,792

May 11 -- 1,880

But, if someone wanted to be pedantic, they could also correctly point out that weekly COVID death tolls here in recent weeks going from 3 to 9 to 12 to 11 is bit of a surge in itself.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The world has seen almost 13 BILLION COVID vaccine doses administered in the 3-1/2 years since they first became available in late 2020. Not all mRNA, but increasingly so as time has passed.

Good effectiveness in reducing the risk of serious illness and death from COVID, compared to those who are un- or under-vaccinated.  Documented serious side effects exceedingly rare compared to the vast numbers of vaccine doses given.

----------------

"mRNA vaccines have been studied and researched for quite a few different illnesses, but COVID became the first and largest public deployment of the technology.

For more than 30 years, scientists have been studying mRNA vaccines to prevent diseases such as:

Scientists are also studying mRNA vaccines to treat diseases like multiple sclerosis (MS) and cancer. These treatments use the same mRNA technology to trigger the immune system to create antibodies. Though they aren’t approved yet, these treatments are currently in clinical trials.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/21898-mrna-vaccines

Yes. Exactly  !  But  no  results positive enough in any of those attempts  have  proven  efficacy  until the sudden  "magic" of the  Sars covid  blah  blah !

Do you  have a financial interest ?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes I do... I have a financial interest in avoiding 3 to 8 week Thai hospital stays because of COVID, as cited in the OP...

And I have a financial interest in not letting COVID cut short a hopefully nice long life with my wife.

Duh !

I and my wife have twice tested positive to covid after two  vaccines.

I suffered  worse with the original Hong Kong  flu   back when !

I am in my  seventies !

I also know people suffering vaccine  damage.

Take care but avoid infliction .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The headline is correctly talking about a surge of COVID with 11 new deaths.

if there was 12 last week and 11 this week. basic math john. a drop is not a surge. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well,  since the cited article above described a summary review of TWENTY FOUR different studies on how COVID vaccination reduces the risk of Long COVID, you're going to have a lot of reading to do to prove your made-up claim that they're all non-credible and compromised.

The thing about studies into this is and has been from the beginning who pays for them.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have a financial interest in avoiding 3 to 8 week Thai hospital stays because of COVID, as cited in the OP...

how do you know you will have to stay in the hospital if you get covid ? for that matter unless you test yourself every single day how can you be sure you don't have covid now. 

keep in mind a large portion of people who get covid don't show any symptoms.

• Love It 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, connda said:

This is probably written by AI as it is using language right out 2020:  "the healthcare system is bracing for the psychological toll of the pandemic.

Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic crisis on turnover intention among nurses in emergency departments in Thailand: a cross sectional study

2023 Sep 27

During the COVID-19 pandemic in Thailand, a large volume of COVID-19 patients were referred to hospital emergency departments (EDs). This increased job demand and job strain among ED nurses, resulting in a high risk of intention to leave their organization.

This cross-sectional study investigated 322 ED nurses.

During COVID-19 pandemic crisis, 72.8% of ED nurses in dark-red zone areas desired to leave their organization. The factors of motivation, exhaustion, and cognitive impairment positively influenced turnover intention among ED nurses in dark-red zone areas. Low availability of organizational resources was associated with an increase in the turnover intention rate. Maladaptive regulation, exhaustion, and cognitive impairment positively influenced turnover intention among ED nurses in non-red zone areas.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10523753/

AND

Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Hospital and Outpatient Clinician Workforce:

May 3, 2022

The COVID-19 pandemic has put extreme stress on the health care workforce in the United States, leading to workforce shortages as well as increased health care worker burnout, exhaustion, and trauma. These pandemic-related challenges have taken place in a context of significant pre-existing workforce shortages and maldistribution, as well as in a workforce where burnout, stress, and mental health problems were already significant problems.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/covid-19-health-care-workforce

And globally:

Health and Care Worker Deaths during COVID-19

20 October 2021

WHO estimates that between 80 000 and 180 000 health and care workers could have died from COVID-19 in the period between January 2020 to May 2021, converging to a medium scenario of 115 500 deaths1.

https://www.who.int/news/item/20-10-2021-health-and-care-worker-deaths-during-covid-19

It's SAD from some of the comments posted in this thread to see how people seem to forget, or try to forget, what the reality of things was.

Washington Post
Mar 27, 2020

People all around the world, including Italy, Spain and Turkey, are gathering on their balconies to applaud the health-care workers on the front lines of the fight against the coronavirus.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2