Oral warning at HKT and Visa exemption for another border run

Hi together,

I'm looking for someone who maybe had a similar travel history and experience I have. I would like to extend one more time my stay here in Thailand for another 30 days before heading back to Germany for good.

Here my recent travel history the past few months, all on Visa exemption stamps and always by plane.

- arrived end November 2023, departed 3 weeks later in December 2023 (arrived in BKK and returned then to Germany)

- arrived mid January 2024, departed mid February 2024 (arrived in BKK, was leaving then to the Philippines for 2 weeks)

- arrived end February 2024 in BKK by plane, departed mid March 2024 by plane from HKT to Malaysia 

- arrived back 3 days later in March 2024 in HKT and got stopped by the immigration officer with the advice I need a proper Visa (he promoted the elite Visa to me - felt almost like they are trying to push this visa on you to make money...).

He told me, it's the last time I can enter like that for the next few months. I must apply at least for a proper (Tourist) Visa but also then entrance isn't guaranteed. And I had to book a flight out of the country and show it to him. He took a picture of the booking, even though it wasn't confirmed yet.

Anyways, afterwards I applied for an extension for another 30 days (+ 1900Baht payment) at the immigration office in Phuket - worked without any hassle.

Now I have to leave Thailand actually 17th May 2024. I was wondering if I can do another border run via Laos? Fly out for a couple of days to Vientiane and return to Thailand by crossing the land border? 

Anything I should consider or any experience, especially after the oral warning from the immigration officer?

Thank you guys.

Best! 

You won't have issue with visa exempt via land you mention at end of your post.

You could have applied for SETV or even METV from the start.

Also the 30 day visa exempt entries could have been extended by 30 days. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You won't have issue with visa exempt via land you mention at end of your post.

You could have applied for SETV or even METV from the start.

Also the 30 day visa exempt entries could have been extended by 30 days. 

Thank you for your fast feedback and for sharing your expertise.

Then I will book a flight for Wednesday to Laos and take the land border back to Thailand a couple of days later.

My gf also never has been there and so we can spend some nice time closer to her home. She's also excited about that.

Just a side note... A visa agent from the language school I'm actually visiting, just told me, my only option would be Ranong (Myanmar). But it's also a whole day trip in a van from Phuket to the border and back (5am - 10pm). Wondering why according to them that would be my only option? Maybe they also just try to sell this route and fill up their van?

Regarding you advice to apply for a SETV or METV (I'm assuming this are the extended tourist Visa). I have to be honest, I didn't think the immigration would make such a big fuzz out of it, especially after I was leaving for 2 weeks and did not do only this 1 day border run. The next time I'm going for a Visa anyways. Enough of this gamble with some officials.

And somehow my trip turned out different than I actually expected. Wanted to continue my travel to another country and not spend so much time here... Got sucked in somehow... Haha 😂 

And regarding the extension - I was actually aware of the extensions, but I honestly wanted to do the trips to the Philippines and to Malaysia. The purpose was not only just to extend my stay here. That's what I'm trying to do now before leaving back to Germany... 🙂

Edited by Piefko

4 minutes ago, Piefko said:

And somehow my trip turned out different than I actually expected. Wanted to continue my travel to another country and not spend so much time here...

Slightly off topic however...

If you haven't been to Vietnam I would definitely look into that.

Ripper place. As German pp holder you have visa exempt option along with eVisa. Single one month 25usd and three month multiple 45usd.

Very simple application. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ripper place. As German pp holder you have visa exempt option along with eVisa. Single one month 25usd and three month multiple 45usd.

Very simple application. 

Sounds really like a great idea. Thanks for the hint... Didn't even think of that.

I've been there already a few times, but it's actually a while ago and honestly, why not again? 😜 

I just looked into fights and I think I'm going to make this trip to Vietnam and then back to Thailand via Vientiane. It sounds like fun!

Thanks again for the advice 😊 

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Piefko said:

Just a side note... A visa agent from the language school I'm actually visiting, just told me, my only option would be Ranong (Myanmar). But it's also a whole day trip in a van from Phuket to the border and back (5am - 10pm). Wondering why according to them that would be my only option? Maybe they also just try to sell this route and fill up their van?

You're probably right with regards to their motivation. You can re-enter from Laos overland just as well. 

• Agree 1

i have the same now so i have started departing only from HKT and arrive bkk 

never been pulled in BKK and trouble free 

i did the Satun boarder run in March and also the odd KL fly in fly out runs 

fly in BKK my advice 

• Like 1

Next time go for a METV. in and out as many times as you want in the 6 months duration of the Visa. If worked cleverly with extension and trips to neighbouring countries you can get almost 9 months hazzle free entries 

On 5/13/2024 at 5:01 PM, Piefko said:

My gf also never has been there and so we can spend some nice time closer to her home. She's also excited about that.

Laos is a very beautiful country and now with the Fast Train, overnight bus trips are now a 2hr train ride. The language is also understood by Thais.

Hope you have Time. (My wife was smiling all day and everyday. Went there for our Honeymoon. )

loas4.thumb.jpg.8b0c7d4547eb45e3fe39d7a2939099c1.jpgloas2.thumb.jpg.a0f9d8c19255d7b1a2f528927a06f2ba.jpg

loas3.thumb.jpg.c0ac2410cbbd7c1ac4740aa2454ce3ae.jpg

loas.thumb.jpg.3748f8b352e5d1cdcfde4d9975626632.jpg 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, norsurin said:

Looks to me ur a visarunner and IMM think ur abusing the system.Dont be surprised if they reject ur next arrive to Thailand.Just saying what i thinking.

He will have no issue with visa exempt entry via Land border.

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Laos is a very beautiful country and now with the Fast Train, overnight bus trips are now a 2hr train ride. The language is also understood by Thais.

Which Fast Train is that?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He will have no issue with visa exempt entry via Land border.

I dont know about that I was exempt my visa in Laksi last year 1 time only and i was surprised that some foreigners was rejected and told to leave Thailand.During covidextempt i got 60 days extra.

Anyway i wish him good luck because we never know what gana happend.

20 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

That people like you are stopped and even have to ask about that is the absolute downfall of Thailand tourism industry. Who enjoys to get treated like a dog.

People who are desperate to live in Thailand and don't want to go back home. 

Some years ago they were stopping more than 2 border runs on visa exempt in one year, if I remember correctly. Seems they have eased up on that. I was so concerned about denials on going out and straight back in that I spent a couple of days in Penang, with an O visa.

22 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

That people like you are stopped and even have to ask about that is the absolute downfall of Thailand tourism industry. Who enjoys to get treated like a dog.

LOL. it's been worse in the past and that never stopped tourists arriving.

BTW most tourist arrivals are apparently on visa exempt and only one time. It's not usual for many re entries on visa exempt. It's not like the good old days 30 years ago any more

3 hours ago, norsurin said:

i was surprised that some foreigners was rejected and told to leave

Most likely due to not having a TM30.

Not rejected just insufficient documents..

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

this one.download(12).jpg.cd34d5ea53a33e2c1c93ee722656baf7.jpg

images(3).jpg.c9f01562bbbac6ee814ec249395454e2.jpgdownload(10).jpg.649327943f0d0c72e4d0a7bb6d28f562.jpg

Did this a couple of weeks ago to get another 30 days. Left Thailand at Chiang Khong. Slow boat to Luang Prabang then train to Vientiane. Back over the bridge to Nong Khai. Pleasant trip although much of the train journey is in tunnels.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Did this a couple of weeks ago to get another 30 days. Left Thailand at Chiang Khong. Slow boat to Luang Prabang then train to Vientiane. Back over the bridge to Nong Khai. Pleasant trip although much of the train journey is in tunnels.

I liked the overnight buses with mattresses on the floor and above, they were a great way to travel, and cozy for a couple.  

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

this one.download(12).jpg.cd34d5ea53a33e2c1c93ee722656baf7.jpg

images(3).jpg.c9f01562bbbac6ee814ec249395454e2.jpgdownload(10).jpg.649327943f0d0c72e4d0a7bb6d28f562.jpg

Right, I wasn't aware of that line.  The Bangkok - Vientiane high speed line will not be ready for many years.  The Bangkok-Korat section is supposed to open in 2026 but if the M6 motorway (4 years late and counting) is anything to go by, that will be doubtful.

Just now, MangoKorat said:

Right, I wasn't aware of that line.  The Bangkok - Vientiane high speed line will not be ready for many years.  The Bangkok-Korat section is supposed to open in 2026 but if the M6 motorway (4 years late and counting) is anything to go by, that will be doubtful.

Well I was referring to Travel In Laos not in Thailand. init.  

On 5/13/2024 at 1:51 AM, Piefko said:

Hi together,

I'm looking for someone who maybe had a similar travel history and experience I have. I would like to extend one more time my stay here in Thailand for another 30 days before heading back to Germany for good.

Here my recent travel history the past few months, all on Visa exemption stamps and always by plane.

- arrived end November 2023, departed 3 weeks later in December 2023 (arrived in BKK and returned then to Germany)

- arrived mid January 2024, departed mid February 2024 (arrived in BKK, was leaving then to the Philippines for 2 weeks)

- arrived end February 2024 in BKK by plane, departed mid March 2024 by plane from HKT to Malaysia 

- arrived back 3 days later in March 2024 in HKT and got stopped by the immigration officer with the advice I need a proper Visa (he promoted the elite Visa to me - felt almost like they are trying to push this visa on you to make money...).

He told me, it's the last time I can enter like that for the next few months. I must apply at least for a proper (Tourist) Visa but also then entrance isn't guaranteed. And I had to book a flight out of the country and show it to him. He took a picture of the booking, even though it wasn't confirmed yet.

Anyways, afterwards I applied for an extension for another 30 days (+ 1900Baht payment) at the immigration office in Phuket - worked without any hassle.

Now I have to leave Thailand actually 17th May 2024. I was wondering if I can do another border run via Laos? Fly out for a couple of days to Vientiane and return to Thailand by crossing the land border? 

Anything I should consider or any experience, especially after the oral warning from the immigration officer?

Thank you guys.

Best! 

Thought you were heading back to Germany for good.  Seems like you're trying to stay in Thailand without proper visa.

• Confused 1

Currently I'm spending my time in Saigon for a couple of days. I haven't been here for years... Many things changed. And my gf never has been outside Thailand besides once with me in Malaysia. So it's also a nice trip for her. 

One of her first impressions was, all the honking of the scooters and cars in the traffic would make the Thais freak out in Thailand... Haha.

Anyways, on the 20th we're heading to Laos, Vientiane and spend couple of days there before going back to Thailand and taking the land boarder.

Btw. Thanks everyone for their comments, even though some are not really understandable to me. Maybe some context missing for some people or they really didn't follow the thread...? 

Cheers

Just a short update from my side...

After I've spend a couple of wonderful days sightseeing Vietnam and Laos together with my gf, we took today the international bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani.

At the border to Thailand the immigration officer was asking several questions, especially about the place I'm staying but that was sorted out very quickly after a short conversation to my gf asking for the address and how long I'm planning to stay.

That was it.

Basically no trouble at all to re-enter on the Visa exemption. Now we're on our way to spend some days in Bangkok before heading further to the south next week. 

Thanks again for the support and advice.

Best!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/13/2024 at 5:10 PM, DrJack54 said:

Very simple application. 

I just did my first visa run in 24 years to Saigon and LOVED it! $1 beer, and lovely ladies, although I only looked!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1